Age rule in Little League

Dan

http://www.littleleague.org/media/age_change_May05.asp

Little League International Board of Directors Adopts Change in League Age Determination Date

WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (May 9, 2005) – The Little League International Board of Directors, governing body for the world’s largest organized youth sports program, has accepted a recommendation from USA Baseball to change the league age determination date for its players starting in the 2006 season.

The league age determination date is the age a player has attained as of a specific date, for the purpose of placing the player in a particular division. For more than 55 years in Little League, that date was July 31.

Starting in 2006, the date in all division of Little League Baseball will be April 30 of the current year. The date in all divisions of Little League Softball will be Dec. 31 of the previous year.

For example: Under the old regulation, a baseball player who turns 13 in May, June or July of 2006 would have been considered league-age 13 for the entire season. That would be the case, despite the fact that such a player likely would have played most or all of the regular season (which generally ends in June) without having actually reached his or her 13th birthday. Under the new regulation, such a player will have a league age of 12 throughout the 2006 season.

Under the old softball regulation, a player who turns 13 from January through July of 2006 would have been considered league-age 13 for the entire season. Under the new regulation, such a player will have a league age of 12 throughout the 2006 season.

USA Baseball represents amateur baseball in the U.S. as a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Baseball Association Federation (IBAF). Virtually every major national youth baseball organization in the U.S., including Little League, is a USA Baseball National Member. USA Baseball recommended that the league age determination date be changed from July 31 to April 30, for the 2006 season for all youth baseball organizations.

The change was made in softball to reflect the fact that most national youth softball organizations use Dec. 31 as the league age determination date.

“The changes in the league age determination dates for Little League Baseball and Softball were approved unanimously by the Little League International Board of Directors,†said Stephen D. Keener, president and chief executive officer of Little League Baseball and Softball, and a Director of USA Baseball. “More than four years of study went into this decision, along with years of discussions with our senior volunteers at the local level. I congratulate the board on taking this progressive step.â€

Also, the Little League International Board of Directors approved a change that provides an option for 12-year-olds to “play up†in the Junior Division. See the question/answer segment below for more information on this, as well as implications for 2006 in the Tee Ball division.

YAY! I get one more year!!!

My little brother does too. I think you should move on to the next level though. Think about it trying out for your high school team with one year under your belt as to having two under? I hope my brother makes the right choice.

Just a thought to ponder....

I didn't get invited so I'd have to try out... there was one time though where I was 0-3 in the game and there were runners on second and third and my dad had just arrived at the game and it was like the 6th inning and we were down by one, and my dad's like, "hey dan, there's scouts here for the pony leagues. give the ball a ride." and I got a 2-RBI double. ANYWAY, I probably wouldn't survive in the pony league, not that I had a bad year but I'd have to decide right now and practice practice practice and I just don't think I'm ready for it yet. I'm a skinny kid BTW. besides my team for next year is gonna be sick without me.

Archived