Stuttering Problems

applejack

I've had mvp 05 for 6 or 7 months and have had no trouble running it till just a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what happened but now, after a couple of innings of running smoothly the game starts to get really choppy. I've reinstalled it a couple of times and I've done the patch thing but no luck.

I'm getting the same problem whenever I try to use madden 05 as well. Both of these games have run perfectly in the past so I'm really puzzled. I don't have any antivirus stuff running, and I've ended all unnecessary backround tasks but no luck. I do think it has something to do with processor use because when the game starts running poorly the cpu usage is close to 100%. I just don't understand why it runs fine for awhile and then suddenly starts getting really choppy. You guys are probably my only hope because if I call EA they will say something like 'defrag your hard drive' (which I have done).

Can you check what process it is that's using the 100% cpu time? Press Ctrl-Alt-Del and go to the 'Processes' tab and see what it is that's using up all that CPU time. It's not likely to be MVP or Madden.

Sounds like it might be a virus, or spyware.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not running madden or mvp right now but here's what I'm showing.

In processes, under Image Name I have something called System Idle Process. Under CPU it says 98 but the mem usage is only 16 k. When I try to end the task is says the operation could not be completed, and that the operation is not valid for this process.

If I go to the performance tab, cpu usage is very low like 4 or 5 %, again this is without running madden or mvp.

Yes, I am on a laptop, but I have a 3 ghz processor and I'm plugged into ac power so I'm not running off battery. It just drives me crazy to be able to run madden and mvp for about 10 minutes and then have all this lagging.

Have you ever used this laptop on the internet? If so, I would check for viruses or perhaps adware. Also, it may be your video drivers. Lower your video settings & see if that makes a difference.

I think you might be on to something shmooz with thee virus and adware stuff, I did have a problem with that stuff pretty close to the time this started to give me trouble. I don't have any trouble my other games though, and I don't understand why a mvp will run fine for a couple of minutes before it starts to stutter. If it just stuttered right from the start that would make more sense.

I've run some virus scans and I look pretty clean. Might have to do a hard drive swipe :(

It can be a virus that attacks certain areas that those two games use. After all a virus is a program that does what it's programming tells it to do.

As to why it does it after ten minutes, that too may be part of the prgramming.

As far as your checking out viruses & it being pretty clean, a virus detector is not perfect. I am not saying you have a virus, but detectors are not always going to catch every virus. (especially if it's a newer one, or a newer version of an older one)

Also, it may be adware. (or I may be totally wrong on this too)

• 2 months later...

Hey, I am having the same problems and it's so frustrating and not getting any better. Played the game from March to August no problems, but same thing for me...after what used to be 7 innings, now about 2 innings, the game will just go through 5 second periods of major slowdown. Never had this before because I am in my 3rd season, but it's totally unplayable. I am pretty good with computers, so I dunno what the beef is. I have 512 Ram, Nvidia GeForcego 5200, 3GHZ processer, and it's a laptop for the record....Anyone figure out what this problem is or how to fix it...it would make my life muuuuch better, thanks

Applejack,

The best info I can give is to get yourself a good spyware program. The free one's like Spybot are OK, but as mentioned above may not catch all of those virus's. I use "Spybot" AND the one I purchased, "Spyware Doctor". I had similar programs slow down on me and I did a Deep Scan with "Spyware Doctor" and it cleared up the problem. I first ran a scan with Spybot and got 34 infected files. I cleaned those and then ran "Spyware Doctor" and got a whopping 233 infected files!!! After that every thing ran great. You can get a free trial version at:

www.pctools.com

Also, unless you have already done it, run disc defrag.

If none of this works, then your only other possible alternative will have to be the dreaded "Dance". Ie:Reformatting your HD and starting over. (I hate it when that happens! :cry: )

I hope some of this might help you out. Good luck.

Cheers!!!

HarleyRider

I can also attest to this.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. The game started playing like crap all of a sudden. I checked the CPU processes and sure enough, there was a 20% spike every 6 seconds. I did a full virus and spyware scan, deleted the infected files and the spike is gone and the game is back to playing nice and smooth. :)

I had a weird problem for months this year where a blank window would open for a split second in the task bar and disappear. When this would happen in a game it would take all mouse and gamepad control away until I Alt-Tabbed once, then I would have control again like nothing happened. Sometimes right before this would happen I would notice the game framerate starting to get a little funky.

Anyways, I finally figured out that it was my printer program hpcmpmgr.exe. I located it in the Windows Task Manager under Processes, so now I just delete it when I dont need my printer anytime soon. By the way, I have the latest drivers for my HP Photosmart 2610XI. But I downloaded updated network drivers back in May I think supposedly to fix a network issue, but since I dont have a network I probably didnt need it. That's about the time I started having the issue, so maybe that was it.

Anyways, it is nice to have a solution to an issue with my favorite game.

Archived