the level of, um, discourse?

coorscanaveral

I've been hanging around for a few days, and I've noticed that people who ask some basic "How do you . . .?" questions have really been pounced on. A lot of times it's the questioner's fault, since he probably didn't read the manual, or may have even gotten hold of the game illegally . . . but it is *possible* that the manual isn't clear on something, or the person has a legitimate copy but no manual.

Matter of fact, I happen to have a legitimate copy with no manual, because I accidentally threw it away and kept the install guide, when I wanted to do the opposite. ("Yeah sure"? Okay, the install guide is 22 pages long, 23 if you count the numbered page under the "Register Your Game Now!" flap, and oh, heck if you don't believe me yet, you never will.)

Anyway, it's a fun game and everything, but it doesn't seem worth jumping all over people when they aren't hip to everything or, god forbid, they don't capitalize things. Unless "MVPmods" *isn't* what this is all about.

I totally agree that this shouldn't be a place where folks with pirated copies of MVP should be welcomed. I'm just saying that except for the glaringly obvious cases the person posting the message should be given the benefit of the doubt. Because, as I tried to illustrate with my own strange case, it's possible to have a legitimate copy and still need help. Matter of fact, I'll be darned if I can figure out how to throw a beanball with a P880 controller--and even if I hadn't thrown away the manual, it wouldn't have helped anyway.

Not that I'd ever throw a beanball . . .

Coorscanaveral, you just got here, so I should explain something to you. Since this web page opened for Internet use in Febuary, and soon after in March when the game was released, we have been hit with a lot of questions about NO CD files, I don't have a manual because of whatever reason, and the latest one with some guy who didn't even know what CD to have in his tray while playing the game.

I won't speak for anyone else here, but if they want to download this game for free, and I won't stop them, but I won't help them set up their controller, teach them to throw a pitchout, or tell them what CD to put in. The game isn't that expensive. Go buy it.

unless of course they are from europe and the game isnt released there so they have to buy the game without manual on import :mrgreen:

although im an isolated case... and tbh i hvnt had any controller trouble myself... i just read the readme file etc... so im with you yankee4life and the rest of ya's

Coorscanaveral, you just got here, so I should explain something to you. Since this web page opened for Internet use in Febuary, and soon after in March when the game was released, we have been hit with a lot of questions about NO CD files, I don't have a manual because of whatever reason, and the latest one with some guy who didn't even know what CD to have in his tray while playing the game.

I won't speak for anyone else here, but if they want to download this game for free, and I won't stop them, but I won't help them set up their controller, teach them to throw a pitchout, or tell them what CD to put in. The game isn't that expensive. Go buy it.

Exactly.

I agree with not condoning the illegal purchasing of a game. However, I have the game for the PC without a controller. Just a keyboard. I have more problems than you'll ever know. I can only do 1 type of slide and I cant lead off to name a few. However, people who dont know much about modding also get jumped on. Once again I am having problems with my FUZZMVP program and nobody wants to help because im "stupid". So I think what the original poster was saying is somewhat right. The "vets" of the board are being very nitpicky right now.

I was under the impression that this was about a fun thing, a videogame, but just reading the responses to my original posting--especially from the moderator of this forum--I see that I'm mistaken. If this was about fun, then when the moderator and other readers came across a post asking a "stupid" question, or one that made it clear that the writer was trying to get help with a pirated copy of the videogame, he would just remain silent. Why go to the trouble to reply to a post just to beat down the person who wrote it?

Hey, it's a fun game. It's not perfect, which is why it's great to have a place or two to come and get help. But so far, from what I've seen--and I've read a lot of the different topics, especially in the General Discussion area--one is just as likely to get a hard time from another user as he is to get an answer to his question. Maybe more so.

I don't think that the new users owe the other users anything more than the consideration to read through the old postings, to see if their question has been answered, before potentially asking it for the millionth time. And I don't think that the other users owe the new users, or each other, anything more than simple courtesy.

Anyway, if a game's not fun, don't play it. And reading the postings around here, while occasionally informative, hasn't been fun, so I'm hitting the road.

coorscanaveral,

It might seem like if most post here were mean, but like yankee4life(and mostly everyone else) said, Its not fair for everyone else who actually bought the game to be helping those who just go and downloaded it for free, and then are protesting cause they dont know how to use the game, or cant get it to work, cause CD2 wont work, etc...

i agree that people do not want to help enough. I try to help everyone I can as long as I see they are willing to help themselves. Some people do forget that Trues runs this website, not them, but i'm sure he reads mosts of the posts on this board and takes care of what he doesn't want to see.

The biggest problem I see is people unwilling to help people learn how to mod certain things in the game. I will answer any question that i can, but there is a lot of things that I don't know how to do. I would really like to see some tutorials for uniforms, stadiums, portraits, datafile, etc. Not just some half answer when someone asks a question.

I agree with that. I see people asking for tutorials all the time but no one seems to want to let the "big secret to modding" out.

Well put, and when the "big secret" is leaked out, all the fighting over who did what and who takes credit for this and who takes credit for that will end. Then there will be peace in the clubhouse once and for all. This game is only as good as it is because of alot of hard work, out of the box its merely ok with modds its borderline baddass/awesome. It will improve much when all the fighting and bickering ends and hey theres always 2k5 right? To become a superstar you must first rise thru the minors, and last but not least, you must fork over your hard earned $$ and then and only then will you know for sure what cd to insert,that insures there will be a next year. Peace

Well put, and when the "big secret" is leaked out, all the fighting over who did what and who takes credit for this and who takes credit for that will end. Then there will be peace in the clubhouse once and for all. This game is only as good as it is because of alot of hard work, out of the box its merely ok with modds its borderline baddass/awesome. It will improve much when all the fighting and bickering ends and hey theres always 2k5 right? To become a superstar you must first rise thru the minors, and last but not least, you must fork over your hard earned $$ and then and only then will you know for sure what cd to insert,that insures there will be a next year. Peace

yea it will be nice if there were tutorials out on stadiums, face mods, etc.. that were just for MVP.

Archived