Orlando Hernandez

Bullpen:

Ramiro Mendoza

Graeme Lloyd

Darren Holmes

Mike Stanton

Jeff Nelson

Mariano Rivera

Hey guys, I'm heading out of town for about a week, but if you need info on anyone just go ahead and post who you need and I'll get to it when I get back (which should be around the 12th or 13th). I would like for this thread to keep going even though I'll be out as long as I will, mostly because I like the idea of getting the old school teams people are doing now as accurate as possible.

Fuzz, if you are refering to me about what you said about research and whatnot, thanks for the kind words, but I really can't take any credit here. I'm just looking it up in a book and typing. Neyer and James did all the leg work on this one, I'm just trying to get the info out there for more accurate mods, and I know how frustrating it can be to play the game with a certain pitcher and then watch a real game and see him throw something completely different than what's in the game. Good to see that people are enjoying all this info, though.

Jim825, here's the guys you asked for, and if you want, I'll post info on the rest of the Yanks pitchers when I get back in town. And, as I have said before, ESPN's website is also a good place to find info on current players. Along with general info on pitches and pitching style, they also have notes on fielding ability, how good the pitcher is at holding the running game, etc.

David Cone

6'1" 180-pound righty

pitches as young pitcher:

1. fastball (95)

2. slider

3. sharp curve

4. change

pitches as mature pitcher:

1. fastball (92)

2. splitter

3. slider

4. overhand curve

5. sidearm (Laredo) curve

6. change

sources: The Scouting Report: 1990; The Scouting Notebook 1999

qoute by umpire Durwood merrill: "The Yankees' David Cone, who could have played linebacker, is what I call a junkyard dog because he'll knock you out of the box without blinking. He's got a better-that-average fastball and a real hard slider. Those two pitches help set up one of the best change-ups in either league."

source: You're Out and You're Ugly, Too (Merrill with Jim Dent, 1998)

qoute by Tom Candiotti: "David Cone had one of the best repertoires I've ever seen a pitcher possess. He had phenomenal natural stuff. He never looked like a classic power pitcher -- he wasn't a big guy -- but he had a mid-90's fastball with about eight different arm angles. He threw a Frisbee slider that started out behind right-handed hitters, yet he could paint the outside corner with it. He was also able to throw a curveball and a devastating splitter, so he was as tough on left-handed hitters as on right-handers."

source: Candiotti in an ESPN.com article, 05/30/03

Hideki Irabu

6'4" 250-pound righty

1. fastball (low 90's)

2. split-fingered fastball

source: The Scouting Notebook:1998

note: The Scouting Notebook: 1999 says that Irabu threw a slow curve, and The Scouting Notebook: 2001 mentions that he threw sliders.

bruinsmpt, here's all the info I could find. Sorry to take so long to get back to you, as I just got back in town. Hope this helps you out.

Scott Williamson

6'0" 185-pound righty

1. fastball (mid-90's)

2. slider (high 80's)

3. split-fingered fastball

4. change (occasional)

note: Williamson learned his splitter from Bruce Sutter's son, his roomate at Tulane.

sources: Ross Porter during broadcast of Dodgers - Reds game (08/01/2002); FOX broadcast of 2003 ALCS Game 3; The Scouting Notebook: 2000

Alan Embree

6'3" 185-pound lefty

1. fastball (low 90's)

2. slider

source: The Scouting Notebook: 1996

Mike Timlin

6'4" 205-pound righty

1. two-seam sinking fastball

2. slider (1993)

sources: The Scouting Report (1992 and 1995 editions); The Scouting Notebook 1999

Archived