Computer Issues

All right, my head is about to blow now.

Today i got my dvd burner(LG)

in my computer i have a regular cd burner and a dvd rom, now i cant connect the 3 devices at same time, y plugged the 3 units(yes, ide and power supply) and only works two of them, but its weird because the 3 of them have power, i can eve put a cd into the unit, but when i open my pc only appears 2 of them

what can i do?

i have two IDE ports on my motherboard

in one i have my HD and the regular cd burner

and the other i have the dvd and the dvd burner

i just saw that i have configurated the units this way

Primary IDE

Master: HD

Slave: LITE-ON CD BURNER

Secondary IDE

Master: DVD BURNER

the slave does not appear...do i have to set my dvd rom jumper into slave or what? the cd burner's jumper is on master... i do not get it :(

I find it easier to set everything on cable select.

But basically just make sure that one of the drives is set to master and the other to slave, then they should work.

What shows up in the bios screen?

i have two IDE ports on my motherboard

in one i have my HD and the regular cd burner

and the other i have the dvd and the dvd burner

i just saw that i have configurated the units this way

Primary IDE

Master: HD

Slave: LITE-ON CD BURNER

Secondary IDE

Master: DVD BURNER

the slave does not appear...do i have to set my dvd rom jumper into slave or what? the cd burner's jumper is on master... i do not get it :(

Yep, that's exactly it!

Refer to the little diagram or whatever it may be on the devices for how to set each to master/ slave/ or cable select.

In theory, if you don't leave them on Cable Select but rather define what each drive is, i.e. master, then your PC will boot faster. I've personally never noticed this to be the case except for when I was running 2 HD's on a 486 back in the day. :roll:

Regardless, try this setup, (which is just what you've basically already said anyway)

Primary IDE

- Master = Hard Drive

- Slave = LiteOn CD Burner

Secondary IDE

- Master = "Faster" DVD Burner

- Slave = DVD Rom

Boot into your system's BIOS and there should be an option which allows you to Auto Detect IDE drives.

If you don't find IDE-0, IDE-1, IDE-2, & IDE-3 and you're certain you have set the jumper pins correctly, then there are three things that could be wrong.

1) Bad IDE Cable or Bad Drive, (Doubtful but a possibility)

2) Incorrect IDE Hookup

3) Insufficient Power Supply Unit

Good Luck and post back with your results!

Archived