Router Dropping Out

I'm using a cable modem and a Linksys BEFSR41 cable/dsl router for my home network. I also have a Linksys NR041 router which I use just as a backup. Every once in a while, one of the computers drops off the network for some reason. The other one can access the internet and get files from the other computer, but the one that drops off can't do any of that. I have no clue as to what's causing it and have a heck of a time getting it to work correctly. When I use the NR041, both computers drop off after about 20 minutes. I've tried using wireless, but the performance isn't too good. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

did you try going on linksys site or help first?

Not yet.

I figure that the people here would have a solution. Someone here may have had a similar problem and found a way to fix it. There are quite a few tech wizards here and I've found solutions for other problems I've had from them. :)

hey dagger, how do u get rid of firewall on routers? because i got a netgear router that's connected to my RCA comcast modem and it wont let me play any games because of firewalls blocking it too. thx.

You just need to open the appropriate ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Believe me I always have times where I want to fling my router into a polluted pond, because I get the same thing you do with the Linksys. I own a DLink router and this piece of crap doesn't work. It'll work fine for a few hours then spontaneously restart over and over and over again.

Archived