Do you think there will EVER be another PC Baseball Sim ?

JeffMerr

I was curious what you guys think. I see all kinds of new baseball sims out for the consols, is it really that hard to convert the code to PC CD? It just still shocks me that EA said no more MVP, you guys think there will EVER be another sim? or is this the end as we know it?

Semantics debate in 3...2...1...

EA has never made a sim. They wouldn't know what a sim is if it walked up and punched them in the face. Puresim Baseball is a sim, OOTP is a sim, Baseball Mogul is a sim.

Semantics aside, I sure hope there are more PC graphical sims in the future. It's unfortunate that the PC has to play 2nd fiddle with the dumbed down console versions.

Yeah, since EA said this was their last baseball game, I doubt we will see a new game out for PC for quite some time. But, thankfully, we have MVPmods! All the great modders will keep the game as real as they can! Thanks guys!

I was thinking about getting a next gen consol just for the sports games, like baseball and NHL and such, but i can't stand consols and they become obsolete to PC's within months, in fact my laptop is already faster than the PS3 specs, lol.

I hate that the pc is left out. There's a new Indiana Jones game coming out next year (dunno if any of you are interested in that), but it's strictly next-gen. Indiana Jones has traditionally been a pc platform game, but I guess they expect more people to have a console than a high-end pc which is understandable.

these next generation consoles look great and all, but we know for sure that 1) there will be another playstation or xbox 2/3 years from now 2) games are more expensive 3) almost no possibility of modding. For me personally it's not worth the effort as opposed to a pc which you can upgrade any time you like and use for different things as well ... combine that with the fact I don't have a TV in my room (I know :() and there's just no way I'll buy one.

but to get back to your question -- yes I do think we'll see another baseball game for the PC. Hopefully EA finds a way to get the mlb license back, however I'm a bit concerned with their trust in the pc gaming segment since they didn't release the NCAA game on the pc either, so ... it could be a long time.

Semantics debate in 3...2...1...

EA has never made a sim. They wouldn't know what a sim is if it walked up and punched them in the face. Puresim Baseball is a sim, OOTP is a sim, Baseball Mogul is a sim.

Semantics aside, I sure hope there are more PC graphical sims in the future. It's unfortunate that the PC has to play 2nd fiddle with the dumbed down console versions.

true, but there are different types of sims. There are Arcade sims and there are text sims. High Heat was probably the last real arcade sim on the PC. MVP2005 is a great game, but I agree, I wouldn't exactly call it a sim.

It's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping PC sports gaming is just in a lull. The appeal of consoles has always been there relatively low prices (compared to PC's) and there ease of use. And while consoles are certainly becoming more sophisticated, they also seem to be straying from what made them so popular in the first place. I mean, $600 for console, $60-$70 for games?

Even with the current popularity of consoles, there are still more homes with PC's than consoles. So if the casual gamer sours on the idea of the $600 hundred dollar console and decides to look for that same game on the PC they already own, hopefully game makers will see enough of a market to make it worth their time again.

You made all sorts of good points, I don't know where to start.

true, but there are different types of sims. There are Arcade sims and there are text sims. High Heat was probably the last real arcade sim on the PC. MVP2005 is a great game, but I agree, I wouldn't exactly call it a sim.

I hear ya, that's why I gave the semantics disclaimer. HH was probably as close to a graphical sim as there's ever been. It's a shame FPSBB didn't have better on-field play and company support, that game could have been amazing.

It's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping PC sports gaming is just in a lull.

Unfortunately wishful thinking is probably closer to realistic thinking than any of us want.

The appeal of consoles has always been there relatively low prices (compared to PC's) and there ease of use. And while consoles are certainly becoming more sophisticated, they also seem to be straying from what made them so popular in the first place. I mean, $600 for console, $60-$70 for games?

Without a doubt. $600 for a PS3 before taxes, before additional components, and before any games? You're looking at nearly $800 before you play your first minute on the system. Rediculous. Not to mention the PS development is in a rut, they haven't done anything new since releasing the first PS, in 1995! The Revolution/Wii is drawing alot of interest from me, they could really have something there.

Even with the current popularity of consoles, there are still more homes with PC's than consoles. So if the casual gamer sours on the idea of the $600 hundred dollar console and decides to look for that same game on the PC they already own, hopefully game makers will see enough of a market to make it worth their time again.

Hopefully *bigtime finger crossing here* someday in the future the hardware manufacturers (Nvidia/Ati specifically) will come to some sort of standards agreement. Perhaps if they worked together with Microsoft alot of the design issues with differing hardware could be alleviated, creating a more appealing platform for game studios.

Archived