The age old debate: is head first sliding into first quicker

chiefpsu

I've tried head first sliding into first a few times on close plays, but I'm wondering if anyone else has and, if so, do you think it's better to slide or run through?

personaly? on close plays my guys choose the ***, not the head :D

less chance of injuries (i have injuries sliders @ + 7 btw) and also I find I beat "some" of the close plays at 1st.

But I have to admit, I'm a slide-a-holic, I slide when the ball is nowhere near the base...just for the dust particles...call me crazy

I've tried head first sliding into first a few times on close plays, but I'm wondering if anyone else has and, if so, do you think it's better to slide or run through?

I love to slide, plain and simple. However I have learned that at first base it is better to run it out. If you slide and accidentally hit right or left, the player will slide past the bag and reach back and tag it. Since it's a force out at first, that actual time can (and usually does) result in the batter being out. If you hadn't of slid, you'd probably have been safe. If you can get it down where you slide straight on it may help, but I am so used to positional sliding that I just can't seem to get it right.

In real life, sliding can help a lot..a head-first slide that is...but in the game, the animation between running and starting to slide is a tick slow, so it usually results in an out on a close play. Depends on the throw too, and they don't make too many bad throws in the game.

One thing I have noticed, the guy running to first will sometimes slow up as if there is not going to be a play at first. I have noticed this mainly on double play attemps. Since he doesn't always carry his full momentum through the bag in these situations, I have found myself sliding into first hoping to avoid this problem. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this problem.

But I have to admit, I'm a slide-a-holic, I slide when the ball is nowhere near the base...just for the dust particles...call me crazy

The funny part is that I slide more when there is no play than I do when there is! I haven't tried sliding feet-first into first, but now that you mentioned it...

I haven't tried sliding feet-first into first, but now that you mentioned it...

Yeah, I've tried to knock the ball out of the first basemens hand, like at home or at second, but hasn't happened yet :-).

I agree with the sliding all time sentament.

In real life its theory that running through the bag is much better that sliding. Sliding feet first actually slows you down but allows you to stop dircectly at the base to which you are heading. Diving to the base is often considered to be worse ( Red Sox fans may have heard this debated over and over and over when Mike Greenwell always dove into 1st)

In the game i find that the lunge step players often do at first to be the best bet for beating out a grounder.

In real life, diving for first is rarely better than running it through. I can't understand why so many players do it. :?

In the game, the only time sliding into first would be beneficial is if you can tell the throw is going to be off the mark. There have been a few times that a there was a throw to first that was off the mark, towards hope plate, that the first baseman was pulled off the bag, but managed to tag me as he caught the ball. In those situations, diving for first *might* be worthwhile.

Archived