Griffith Stadium (It's a "sickness")

paulw

Well, so much for my retirement. I just had to do this one - it was too easy and kind of a neat ballpark. Lots of changes - new buildings, textures, signs, etc.. etc.. Just doing some final tweaking. Anyhow, Walter Johnson and co. needed a nicer home.

BTW, I swear I saw a picture once where you could see the Washington Monument from the ballpark - it was only 2 miles or so away. I can't find this but would *love* to add it if I knew where it should go. SeanO - you might know this?????

Pics...

grifith_2.jpg

grifith_1.jpg

This version is circa 1950 or so.

Ach, I'll take a look at my sources and see what I can come up with. I figure if I can figure out where home plate was and the direction it faced, I can give you a good idea of whether it would've been possible to see the monument.

There's one thing I would love for you to do if you don't mind, and I'd do the wall.dat editing if you don't want to, but can you get rid of that triangle of seating between the flag pole and the scoreboard?

grifftithout.jpg

As you can see, at least in this picture, that seating never actually existed, and was the location of the bullpen. I don't particularly care if the bullpens are there, but I'd love to nix the seating in that location.

Also, just a small point, I would raise the left field fence from the really short 3' it's at now to the correct height of 8'. It should be a really quick change.

Looks fantastic paul, really fantastic. I'll see what I can figure out about the backdrop.

BTW, I swear I saw a picture once where you could see the Washington Monument from the ballpark - it was only 2 miles or so away. I can't find this but would *love* to add it if I knew where it should go. SeanO - you might know this?????

This??

22b3ze.jpg

Thanks, Krawhitman. That might be it (or maybe a smokestak?). That picture is looking northwest.

I'll get rid of the center field stuff. EA put that in there because the configuration of Griffith challenged their collision routines. I can get rid of the stands and people but may not be able to move the fences.

I'll see what I can do. Going to try and get the address to Griffith and then to google earth and try and figure out where the monument would be. If it's northwest that's definetly it.

I just learned a lot. From the upper deck on the 3rd base side you could see all of downtown Washington. Behind the grandstand on the 3rd base side was Howard University. Apparently, Griffith was in an area similar to old Forbes Field.

Archived