The Rays of Light

tejdog1

Tampa, FL - In a move that has shocked the baseball world, the newest GM of the Tampa Bay DevilRays has announced that the team has reached a 3 year, $26.4 million deal with free agent Daisuke Matsuzaka.

"We had to make some trades, naturally, to clear room under the budget, but we are extremely excited about bringing Daisuke on board. Hopefully, this trade will show our fans that this franchise is turning a corner, and heading a new direction." Tejesh said.

In order to clear room under the budget, the DRays shipped SP Casey Fossum, AAA SP Doug Waechter and AAA 2b to Arizona for 1b Conor Jackson, RP Brandon Medders, and AAA SS Stephen Drew.

Also, reliever Shinji Miri was traded to the Mets for AAA reliever Royce Ring.

The Devil Rays also announced the signing of 18 year old first base prospect Clancy Frank for 3 years and $900,000.

"Clancy will begin the season in Visalia, alongside Reid Brignac." Tejesh said.

---------

Guys, I'll be posting "monthly" updates on this dynasty, as I will be simming it.

Dumbest thing I have ever heard... No way we give up Drew or CoJack... Nice try, but no way you fool a Dbacks fan, sucka...

Its a dynasty... A dynasty is a.. alternate reality, I guess, where the person who runs it can have his own seperate roster and can do all sorts of stuff. Obviously, he made an unrealistic trade, but the D-Rays are pretty bad, so it's hard to make a good team out of what they have.

General rule: In a dynasty, what happens is up to the person who runs the dynasty.

Really? So if the Rays offered Kazmir and Crawford for Drew and Conor, you say no? Never say no way (the Mets said they would never trade Kazmir...nuff said? My heart bleeds over that trade).

Besides, the Rays are the worst ranked team in baseball, according to UR 8.0, and I wanted a challenge. And I wanted DMat ;) Plus, I ALWAYS go to the Mets and bleed their farm dry (because I am a veritable expert on the Mets farm), in every dynasty I do, I wanted to do something different.

Rays end April with a 10-14 record, tied for last in the AL East, 7 games behind the Yankees.

LOL. Kazmir for Conor Jackson? What are you smoking? The Rays GM would laugh in your face for 5 minutes, then come to visit you and laugh some more.

Anyway, the Rays endured a miserable 10-19 May, falling to 20-33, 14 games behind first place New York in the AL East.

"Look, no one ever said this would be a cakewalk. We're going to take our lumps, but our fans have to understand that we are moving in the right direction. We are committed to seeing this thing through, and hopefully, I get the chance to oversee the turnaround here. For the longest time, this team has operated like an animal with it's head cut off. No sync between the major leagues and the minor leagues. I'm here to fix that, but again, it will take time. Adding Daisuke alone doesn't make us a 90 game winner. We need to piece things around a core of players. We also need to identify that core, which we are also in the process of doing." Tejesh said. Asked for his goals for the 2005 season, Tejesh was pretty straightforward.

"Right around 60 victories, 2 prospects brought up, and 3/5 of the rotation settled. We're pretty close. We brought up Stephen Drew, and we have 2/5 of our rotation settled."

The Rays made another trade on June 1st, sending starter Jae Seo to the Yankees for two pitching prospects, starter Phillip Hughes and Jeff Karstens.

"Obviously, this trade was a no brainer. To get two good pitching prospects with significant upside for one #4 starter...amazing." Tejesh said.

To fill the roster spot, AAA swingman Edwin Jackson was recalled from AAA Durham.

-----

Yes, fair trades and budgets were both on. I maintain the CPU is a worse GM then Steve Phillips, which I didn't think was possible.

Tejesh was back at it on the 7th, trading reliever Shawn Camp, and AAA starters Jon Switzer and Scott Dunn to the As for reliever Huston Street, AAA 1b Daric Barton, and A starter Vince Mazzaro.

"Once more, adding quality pitching depth is something I look to do here. I'm almost working backwards, looking to restock the farm, while neglecting the major league team. So to get a top notch, young closer like Street was the icing on the cake." Tejesh said.

Tejesh continued to rip down the Rays, this time making a 5 player deal with the Royals. Starter Tim Corcoron, and relievers Brian Meadows and Tyler Walker went to Kansas City for reliever Ambiorix Burgos, and AAA reliever Andy Sisco. To fill the spots on the 25 man roster, Sisco and AAA starter Jason Hammel were called up to Tampa.

The Rays ended June with a 32-47 record, going 12-14 on the month, and finished 16.5 games behind the first place Yankees.

"We are making strides, small ones, but strides, nonetheless. The process of tearing apart the team and weeding out the good from the bad is taking time, but we knew that coming in. Nothing I can do would fix this overnight, so we're taking it slowly. We're not rushing prospects up to the majors." Tejesh explained.

The Rays finished out Year 1 under Tejesh with a 65-97 record, 32 games out of first, and 5 games worse then the 2004 season, when they finished with 70 victories.

"We're putting the pieces in place to make this a strong organization from top to bottom, and there will be imense pain along the way. Hopefully, management sees fit to allow me to expand the budget a bit." Tejesh said, upon conclusion of his first season in Tampa.

The ownership of the DRays, unpleased with the direction Tejesh took the club in year 1, lowered the budget by $800,000 during the offseason.

"That's not what I was expecting, nor promised, when I took this job. I am very disappointed in the budget for the 2006 season." Tejesh said, prior to the draft. In the draft, the Rays, with the 3rd overall pick, selected pitcher Bartolo Santana.

"Santana's 18, has a good fastball, and a decent changeup to go along with it. He fits into our plans very nicely."

In the second round, the Rays were thrilled to find shortstop Chris Belliard was still on the board.

"Chris was someone who I targeted as a first rounder, maybe around the 15th or 16th pick, so when he dropped to us at #33, I snapped him up. He's an athletic contact hitter, who is also, only 18."

With the reduced budget, the Rays were not able to go out and sign any big named FAs, as Tejesh had hoped. Instead, they focussed on signing their own internal talent, reupping Jorge Cantu (3/$900k), Dioner Navarro (3/$900k), Johnny Gomes (3/$1.2m), Ty Wiggington (3/$1.8m), Edwin Jackson (3/$5.1m), Huston Street (3/$5.4m) and Seth McClung (3/$3.9m).

"I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. We do have the pieces in place to have a better 06 then 05, not that it's terribly difficult to accomplish that."

At the end of Spring Training, Tejesh released his forecast for the 2006 season.

"I'm hoping for a 73 win season, 8 games better then last year, and a 4th place finish."

The Rays got out of the gate quickly, compiling a 14-10 April record, and ending in first place, a game ahead of the second place Blue Jays.

"It's still very early. This is an extremely encouraging sign, but we're not even 10% into the season."

The Rays ended May with a 28-24 record, having gone 14-14 during the month, and were in second place in the AL East, 3 games behind the first place Yankees.

GM Tejesh Patel made a trade at the end of the month, sending backup 1B Greg Norton, RF Jonny Gomes and 3B Ty Wiggington to the Cubs for IF Ronny Cedeno, SP Jae Kuk Ryu and AAA starter Kyle Sleeth. Delmon Young was recalled from AAA Durham to fill Gomes spot on the roster.

"Adding pitching depth is always something I'm on the lookout for. This trade helps both sides." Tejesh said.

June saw the Rays falter, going 12-14 to end the month tied for 2nd, 5.5 games behind the Yankees, at 40-38.

Tejesh Patel made his boldest move to date, sending leadoff hitter and left fielder Carl Crawford, along with starter JP Howell and AAA starter Jeff Karstens to the Mets, for starter Oliver Perez and center fielder Lastings Milledge.

"This trade significantly improves our rotation, by adding a 3rd ace to it, and doesn't deplete our lineup as much as it may look like." Tejesh said.

The Rays finished out the season going 28-30, ending Tejesh's 2nd year at 80-82, 15 games better then last year.

"I'm very pleased at the direction we're heading in. Hopefully, this is the year ownership opens up the wallets."

However, upon receiving word that the budget would remain the same going into the 2007 season, Tejesh marched up to ownership, and verbally blasted them for 30 minutes, before quitting. He released the following statement:

"I am very sorry for the fans of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Ownership feels the need to be greedy SOBs, and not invest in their team. I refuse to be part of their idiotic way of running this team. I hope the fans realize that it was one of the biggest challenges of my career, and I have given everything I could, with very little to show for it. I wish whoever succeeds me luck. They'll need it dealing with complete jackasses like the people who own this team."

Archived