schedule

dutchxperienz

Well, aside from the brief span called "interleague play" - which is a fairly new development - teams only play teams from their same league. (ie. american league, national league). It used to be, an AL team would only face an NL team in the World Series. But, to add variety, MLB added a few interleague matchups near mid-season.

Then, within your division, you play those teams more often (since the finals standing inside the division determine who goes to the playoff "tournament" at the end of the regular season). Then, somewhat randomly, you play other teams from your league. Sometimes certain matchups are predetermined for interest-reasons - such as, the Cards and Mets openened the season this year, since it was a re-match of last year's NLCS.

thanx for the answer. i think its kind of strange to have teams 'randomly' play each other and that some of these matchups are only because they sound interesting. u should either have everyone play everyone else or keep it within the league/division

The schedule is supposed to be set up for 18 games versus each team in your your own division and 6 against each team in the other divisions. Interleague is supposed to a series against each team in a division that rotates yearly in the other league and and home and home against your geographical or historical "rival". However interleague gets messed up supposedly because the AL West only has 4 teams and the NL Central has 6 teams.

For example, St Louis should get 18 games (9 home 9 away) against each of the 5 other teams in the NL Central for 90 games, 6 games (3 home and 3 away) against the 10 other teams in the NL (60 games) and 3 games each against the AL West (this years rotated division for interleague-12 games) for a total of 162 games; however the Cardinals rivals are the Royals so you have to have 6 games against them, which I guess explains why the Mariners and the Rangers are not on the Cardinals' interleague schedule. I have no clue how the Tigers got on the Cardinals schedule this year. They shouldn't have been.

Archived