78 Classic

Cincinnati_kid

I followed the instructions for installing with the self extracting installation and I keep getting this error message. "Process cannot access the file because its being used by another process" What does this mean? I've tried to install this 5 times, to no avail. I really would like to try this mod out, but it won't let me. Please help.

I followed the instructions for installing with the self extracting installation and I keep getting this error message. "Process cannot access the file because its being used by another process" What does this mean? I've tried to install this 5 times, to no avail. I really would like to try this mod out, but it won't let me. Please help.

Which installer are you talking about? This one (the extractor)?:

or this one (the actual mod installer)?:

Post the exact steps of what you are doing, including where you downloaded and installed the files.

It's the actual mod installer I'm having trouble with. I d/ld the files to C:/Program Files/EA Sports/Total Classics 78. It happens everytime I hit the install total classics button. It automatically created its own folder in my EA Sports directory (along with MVP 05, Madden07,NBALive07 and the aforementioned Total Classics78 I'm pretty sure I followed the directions correctly

Are you saying that you extracted the installer files to your EA Sports/Total Classics78 folder and ran it from there? If so, then there's your problem.

Step 2 of the Installation instructions states the following:

2. Extracting the Total Classics 1978 installer and libraries

Run total_classics_1978.exe to extract the TC1978 installation files. Here's the extractor looks like:

Select the destination of where to extract the TC1978 installation files and click the Extract button. Note that this is the place where you will run the Total Classics 1978 installer from, and NOT your MVP 2005 game folder.

Note the last sentence. It is saying that you should NOT extract the installer files to your game folder.

The problem you are probably seeing is that your trying to copy a file on top of itself (for example Total Classics78/data/models.big to Total Classics78/data/models.big), and Windows is telling you that the file is currently in use. Does that make sense?

Here's what you should do:

1. Delete and recreate your Total Classics78 folder with a clean MVP2005 install.

2. Extract the installer files someplace else (NOT EA Sports/Total Classics78)

3. Run the installer again

So you're saying I have to uninstall the whole program and reinstall it before it would work? Why couldn't I just delete total classics and reinstall to another location?

You could reinstall to another location, however, I don't know how you would uninstall it. The installer is never added to the Windows registry, so it's not like you could use the Windows Add / Remove Programs option. Also, the installler does not have any sort of uninstall option

You could try doing what you propose and it might work, but the only guaranteed way to fix things is to uninstall the entire game, reinstalling it and then re-installing Total Classics 1978.

Not really what I wanted to hear, but thanks for your valuable input into this mod Jim.

You have nothing to lose by trying your method first. If it works, you're fine. If not, at least you tried the simple solution first.

What have you done since my last post? Did you try the simple method (simply run the installer from someplace else) or did you uninstall everything, reinstall the game, re-extract the installer someplace else and then re-run it?

Have you tried running a manual install (simply copying the files over)? The installer is simply a glorified file copier, so it does nothing different than you would do manually.

cincinnatti_kid,

please try jim825's excellent instructions in this thread

http://www.mvpmods.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=...l+classics.html

remember that there are multiple extractions before the point of installing the game. amybe that is where your issue it.

another thing: did you ever get to the point of doubleclicking "installer.exe"

that could be another place where your problem is. maybe the issue is in the extractions.

Archived