Stat Collection Database

PirateFan13

I wanted to get some feedback on a project I have been working on. I would like to determine whether or not anyone else would even consider utilizing such a tool. Let me preface this by saying that I have no programming skills whatsoever. This is what I have been doing so far;

1. I extract the data for my dynasty using the Boxscore extractor

2. I copy and paste the excel data into a full blown excel spreadsheet that tracks game by game, season, and career stats for each player on my team. Additionally I keep track of team statistics, scores, and records against opponents. Individual statistics by opponents are organized to show stats against my team.

Problem 1. You have to manually copy and paste the data for each game into worksheets in the spreadsheet labeled as raw data. Excel is a nice program until the information starts to build, and of course you cannot produce reports very easily.

Solution: I have started to migrate all the data over to an access database giving me more control of my data. I am actually using Lahman 54 because of the historical stats cataloged inside. With all of this data, I could easily display career stats (including my dynasty seasons)

Problem 2. Extraction of the data from the Boxscores is manual, importing the data into the database is manual. Not very user friendly. What I would need is someway to extract the data directly from the boxscore(or game itself) directly into the database.

Solution: Thats where my expertise ends.

Anyhow... I am going to continue to work this process, if anyone has a solution for me to import the data into a database automatically, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'd also like to know if anyone else would like a tool like this, or... if I am a nutjob who like stats way too much, in which case I will quietly slink to the back of the room.

Home/ Road, Hafner vs. Detroit, yes... left /right, not using the current information from the Boxscore program. I have been able to break it down to show hitting streaks, HR streaks, 4 HR's in a game and 5 hit games.

On the career page, I found some statistical criteria for being entered into the HOF and produced a breakdown that gives points for each statistical milestone, along with Gold Gloves, and MVP awards, etc.

Now I have only done career pages so far for my own players, once the season is over I can add 2007 stats to the Lahman database and each player will have new career stats.

I have the excel spreadsheet version mostly done, but I have been running into data manipulation problems and that why I have started to transfer over to an access database. Its a lofty project, and I hope to be finished in a couple of months. A fresh set of eyes or other ideas would only enhance the situation.

As far as the Lefty/Righty situation goes, on a game by game breakout, I can't see it (although it may be accessable I don't know), but after the season is complete the splits are there.

Another problem would be determining Hafner vs. Bonderman, player against player, because in the Boxscore there isn't enough information in the inning by inning report to determine when a pitcher was removed. Again, that would be a manual situation itself. Additionally, GIDP and DP's are left out of the boxscore data.

Archived