Project Progression -- In-Season Progression!

WinnieThaPujols

After reading the readme I have a few suggestions and questions.

1. A better indicator of pure contact skill might be AB-K.

2. Another thing is something I got from Baseball Prospectus that says young player skills include speed and contact while old player skills include hitting for power and taking walks. So I think it would make sense for a player's running speed and contact rate to decrease while his power and batting eye increase as he ages.

-- Age-dependent Progress: it will be harder for older players to stay at the top

of their game.

Will there be exceptions to the rule? For example, will a 26 year old always progress and a 34 year old always regress or will there be some amount of randomness to this as well?

4. What files does this and the supporting programs edit? I would like to know so I can back them up so I don't mess up my current dynasty and rosters.

5. If you don't have any particular reason to use C++ you might want to use VB.NET. It is a lot easier to learn and you can probably finish this project much quicker.

1. A better indicator of pure contact skill might be AB-K.

I really don't like incorporating walks or strikeouts into the progression -- I find it way too hard to get realistic numbers with competitive sliders. I remember how frustrated I was with having Eckstein / Pujols striking out all the time. If I lowered pitch speed, I ended up being too good offensively.

So this is kind of like basing progression solely on ERA: WHIP and peripheral stats (like AB / K) would be ideal, but I just don't think it's practical because MVP -- even with heavy enough tweaking -- doesn't play enough like a simulation game.

2. Another thing is something I got from Baseball Prospectus that says young player skills include speed and contact while old player skills include hitting for power and taking walks. So I think it would make sense for a player's running speed and contact rate to decrease while his power and batting eye increase as he ages.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I'll keep this in mind.

Will there be exceptions to the rule? For example, will a 26 year old always progress and a 34 year old always regress or will there be some amount of randomness to this as well?

OK, I'll give you two different answers. I think semantics might be preventing me from understanding this one correctly.

A 34-year-old does not always regress nor, does a 26-year-old always progress. It just means that's what's most likely to happen.

With that said, I don't think that's what you're asking. I think what you're asking is whether or not every player is going to have the same career path or not. I don't want that much parity; I think want I'll do is, the first time the program is run, randomly assign ages to a player which will determine when they start to see their rise and fall. What I'll probably do is have it based on star ratings -- five-star players will have (theoretically, but not definitely) the longest careers.

What files does this and the supporting programs edit? I would like to know so I can back them up so I don't mess up my current dynasty and rosters.

The MVPExporter extracts a handful of files (like 15 of them or so). Project Progression only edits four of them at this time:

-- lhattrib.dat

-- rhattrib.dat

-- pitcher.dat

-- attrib.dat

When it runs, it creates a folder called "backup" and copies all of the exporter files into that folder. That way if you did import the changes and you found it ruined your franchise, you could simply import the files in the backup folder and everything would be fine. However, it wouldn't hurt to backup the original franchise file itself before running the mod if you wanted to be absolutely safe.

If you don't have any particular reason to use C++ you might want to use VB.NET. It is a lot easier to learn and you can probably finish this project much quicker.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have way too much code written up to start over.

That command is ran from a DOS prompt.

Start>>Run>> cmd or command

Actually, there's an even easier way.

Create a shortcut to MVP.

Right click on the shortcut, and go to "Properties."

If it's not selected (it probably will be), then click the tab entitled "Shortcut."

Next to "Target:" there is a form with the path ending in "MVP2005.exe;" simply add the "-win" argument to the end of the target (after the quote mark, I believe).

Actually, there's an even easier way.

Create a shortcut to MVP.

Right click on the shortcut, and go to "Properties."

If it's not selected (it probably will be), then click the tab entitled "Shortcut."

Next to "Target:" there is a form with the path ending in "MVP2005.exe;" simply add the "-win" argument to the end of the target (after the quote mark, I believe).

Good catch WTP. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey... this sounds like a great idea, and it certainly seems like you put a LOT of time into the making of this. I'd like to tell you that I REALLY do appreciate it.

I've had a request out for a year or so now, that possibly could work very well with this mod. I've been told that it is possible (but would require a lot of work) to have the hot/cold zones progress as well. For instance, some people's hot/cold zones would look like this when they're superstar quality:

H H N

N H C

H H H

And when they regress, their stats diminish, but their zones remain the same, making it rather easy to hit with them.

Also, new draft picks, for the most part, come out with

C N N

N H H

C N C

if they're top quality. However, eventually, I'd like to see their hot/cold zones progress to the point where it is like I stated in the first example of hot/cold zones. Obviously, this'd be great in-season, because this could be why slumps come on as opposed to random reasons.

Again, I thank you for all your hard work, and it is completely understandable if you're unable to do this... it's just that this has been a dream of mine for an eternity. Thanks again.

HR

As of right now this mod is dead, but that doesn't mean I won't resurrect it.

I'm working 30 hour weeks in the middle of finals and huge projects, etc... I really don't have time to work on it. When I was pounding out progress I was basically blowing off school, which I can't do because I'm already doing really poorly this semester.

Once I get done with school (early May), I could see myself working on this again in the summer. I've put a lot of work into it and I don't want it to go to waste... so I think the chances of revivification are pretty good.

But yeah, for the time being its dead.

Archived