...Hillman to the rescue; 2008 Kansas City Royals Dynasty

endeavor

Alright! After countless hours of testing and playing around, I have decided on a 2008 Dynasty with the very interesting Kansas City Royals. Should be a fantastic challenge, it is a fun team and I will do my best to keep it going.

The usual facts:

1. Rosters: Opening Day 2008 (including some injuries such as NYM Martinez or the Red Sox designating Snyder for assignment)

2. Difficulty: All-Star with adjusted sliders (simmed a season to test, and HR total was 54 and RBI total was 149)

3. Trades: real life, but leaving room for myself if needed

I will run the whole thing on www.dynastymanager.com and it is already set up and ready to go. I will post all the boxscores of each game on this website, but for articles and full stats, etc. check dynastymanager 8)

In addition, I will update those stats and standings, trades, injuries, etc. daily or weekly.

More in depth articles will be featured on dynastymanager twice a month, one after 15 days and the other at the end of the month. As I get more time on my hands, I might do more articles per month.

Enjoy! The first seven games have been played and I will post the dynastymanager article on here as well later on. For now go to:

Royals

Go Royals! :flux:

Royals sweep mighty Yankees, cruise to 7-2 record

GAME 2 of 3

boxscore8yt5.jpg

GAME 3 of 3

boxscore9ye4.jpg

SERIES RECAP:

No matter how early or late in a season, sweeps are a big deal and simply the sweetest thing. The Yankees actually got plenty of hits over this series, but were just not able to turn opportunities into runs. Outscoring New York 30-4 over this three game series at Kauffman Stadium, the Royals looked much more like a contender than a team that is hoping to play .500 ball. The Yankees mark the second high profile team KC has beaten this year. If one remembers, Detroit did win one game, but looked sluggish the rest of the series. During the Royals home opening series vs. New York, they clearly dictated the games, combining very solid pitching with great run support. Even resting lead-off man CF David DeJesus and 2B Mark Grudzielanek in Game 3 did not make a difference, at all. While those two subs only combined for two hits, it was once again a team effort. The rest of the lineup had at least one hit, save for 1B Ross Gload. With his average of .188 he is clearly off to a slow start amidst a team that averages .310. SP Meche, Greinke and Bale all earned their second win of this young season and Jose Guillen used this series to up his average to .343, after hitting .188 through the first 6 games of the year. KC will host Minnesota next for a three game series, followed by a road trip to Seattle and Anaheim.

guillengrudziead7.jpg

Grudzielanek and Guillen are sparking KC's offense, leading them to a 7-2 start in 2008.

gordon3uv8.jpg

Alex Gordon, 24, has three HR's this year, two during the Yankees series.

April 11th, 2008 TWINS @ ROYALS

GAME 1 of 3

boxscore10il6.jpg

GAME 2 of 3

boxscore11oe5.jpg

GAME 3 of 3

boxscore13nx5.jpg

SERIES RECAP:

Kansas City continues their strong play, taking two out of three from the visiting Twins. This isn't all positive though, especially when one looks at the 11-4 loss in Game 3. The Royals were riding a six game win streak until it abruptly came to an end. Their pitching staff was completely outmatched, surrendering six long balls. However, catcher John Buck is starting to contribute offensively, improving his average to .300

The Twins on the other hand stopped a three game losing streak and Michael Cuddyer was a triple short of the cycle in Game 3. Kansas City is off to a seven game road trip, the longest one in April, starting with a brief two game series against the much improved Mariners team.

April 14th, 2008: ROYALS @ MARINERS

GAME 1 of 2

boxscore14rl9.jpg

April 15th, 2008: GAME 2 of 2

boxscore15ps6.jpg

SERIES RECAP

Well, there you have it. It was just a matter of time until the Royals would start to play more like...you guessed it... the Royals. Dropping their third straight game, the Royals lost first place in their division to the Tigers and enabled the Mariners to climb one game ahead of Anaheim in their respective division. Game 1 was a nail-biter, stretching over 13 innings and 5 1/2 hours. Kansas came up short twice in the 13th inning, only to lose it in the bottom of that very inning, when Ichiro literally jogged to home plate from second on Jose Lopez' long single to right.

Game 2 was equally close, but once again the Royals came up short. One will have to see how this team reacts to the losing skid and Anaheim does not seem like the perfect place to rebound.

Thanks for the suggestion Melky. However, it shall be reiterated that the main stats, pics, stories, etc. are all on dynastymanager.com. I have been using FRAPS for years in all my dynasties on that website, but I realize it is boring to just look at boxscores.

From now on, I will have series summaries with in-game pics also on this site. I will probably still add a link for the boxscores to be viewed separately. All the stats details, league leaders, standings, ESPN Power Rankings, etc. are all on dynstymanager and I am quite happy with the look of it. Regular polls can be found and I would appreciate your votes! I just finished an in depth look at April which can be seen HERE

According to Theo Epstein the season doesn't start until May, and I shall second that statement. From now on, there will be series recaps for each series and at least two detailed articles a month, including general situation within the club, MLB inside stories, trade rumors, MLB injury reports (now available in right hand column), etc. etc.

Follow along with this talented team!

2008 KANSAS CITY ROYALS

Anywho, the Indians series recap is ready. All the stats have been updated! Check out the whole page and don't forget to cast your vote in the current poll. THX! :wtg:

Check out the 2008 Kansas City Royals

Here are links to the boxscores:

GAME 1

http://dynasties.mvpmods.com/boxscores//us...deavor/KC29.htm

GAME 2

http://dynasties.mvpmods.com/boxscores//us...deavor/KC30.htm

GAME 3

http://dynasties.mvpmods.com/boxscores//us...deavor/KC31.htm

Thanks Wallbanger, definitely appreciate it! I will do in game pics on this page from now on as well. On my Dynasty page, there are always pics. As usual, for a nicely put together HTML page, in depth and up-to-date stats and news always check out

[align=center]2008 ROYALS DYNASTY[/align]

I am really surprised about this record with Kansas City. I mean, ALL-STAR difficulty with these tough slider adjustments make for a very realistic but hard gameplay. I still expect a major slow down though and yes, next time, I will go easy on the Indians :mrgreen:

May 5th, 2008 -- ANGELS @ ROYALS

GAME 1 of 3

The Angels were determined to end the Royals six game win streak and did exactly that. Juan Rivera (3); Torii Hunter (7) and Erick Aybar (1) all had HR's. Ervin Santana was solid over 7 strong innings, allowing only one run on two hits. Scott Shields and Closer Francisco Rodriguez took care of the rest. Torii Hunter went 1-4 with 2 RBI, extending his hitting street to nine games.

gloaddefense1xqr8.jpg

May 6th, 2008 -- ANGELS @ ROYALS

Game 2 of 3

John Lackey, still looking to find his form, didn't fare much better today and his record is now a rather concerning 1-4. Lackey walked six and gave up four runs over 7.0 IP.

Zack Greinke, his counterpart, allowed two runs over six innings and improved to 3-1 on the year. Ross Gload finally had a decent game with 2 hits and a very important 2-run shot in the fifth inning off of Lackey.

hunterk1xde0.jpg

Anaheim managed to connect for 13 hits, but Hunter went 0-4

May 7th, 2008 -- ANGELS @ ROYALS

Game 3 of 3

The final day of this three game series belonged solely to Jared Weaver and the Angels. Weaver went 7 innings nearly untouched, allowing only 3 hits before his exit. Francisco Rodriguez completed a dominating pitching performance by the Angels and secured his 11th save of the year. Kansas City just did not have any answers today and Howie Kendrick's RBI in the third inning proved to be the game winner. Jared Weaver is now 4-0 on the year with an ERA of 1.47.

gordon2b1xfh0.jpg

Alex Gordon stays hot - eight game hitting streak

Next, the Royals will host the Orioles, before finishing their home stand with a three game series against Detroit.

BOX SCORE

BOX SCORE

BOX SCORE

As always, for most detailed and up-to-date info please visit:

2008 ROYALS DYNASTY

May 8th, 2008 -- ORIOLES @ ROYALS 2-8

GAME 1 of 4

After surrendering two runs on four hits in the opening inning, SP Brett Tomko settled down to go 6.1 IP, while recording five K's to earn his fifth win of the 2008 campaign. CF DeJesus went 3-5, ending a 0-12 streak. Baltimore's SP Loewen suffered his 6th loss of the season. The Orioles also committed three errors, which did not help their cause.

greatdefense1xbe0.jpg

Esteban German with a fantastic diving catch

May 9th, 2008 -- ORIOLES @ ROYALS 8-7

GAME 2 of 4

Baltimore and Kansas City combined for 36 hits in a 15 inning thriller, with the Orioles coming out on top. Both starting pitchers struggled, and the Royals used six pitchers in a game that lasted a little over 5 hours. Closer George Sherrill was eventually credited with the win (5-0), as the "Birds" moved to an even .500 mark (19-19).

paytoncatch1xhv1.jpg

Jay Payton saved the day for the Orioles in th 15th inning

May 10th, 2008 -- ORIOLES @ ROYALS 3-5

GAME 3 of 4

Ross Gload was the only Royals member without a hit in today's game. Veteran Mark Grudzielanek's tenth double of the year ensured a comfortable 5-1 lead. Closer Joakim Soria earned his 7th save of the season while starter Brian Bannister moved to 3-2. Reliever John Mahay allowed one hit over 1.2 innings and improved his ERA to 1.17.

mora2b1xly2.jpg

Mora went 3-5 - Orioles still lose

May 11th, 2008 -- ORIOLES @ ROYALS 2-6

GAME 4 of 4

With division rival Detroit losing earlier in the day to the Yankees, Kansas City had the chance to move 3.5 games in fron of them. Hillman sent his young pitcher Greinke to the mound, who would win his 4th game of the year. DH Billy Butler got himself out of his little slump with 2 doubles and 2 RBI's. He is now batting .366, still good enough for third in the American League.

gloadlate1xtj4.jpg

Ross Gload went 0-2. His average is all the way down to .220

BOX SCORE 1

BOX SCORE 2

BOX SCORE 3

BOX SCORE 4

May 13th, 2008 -- TIGERS @ ROYALS 4-5

GAME 1 of 3

The Tigers were anxious to get back into the race for first place and this three game series vs. divisional rival Kansas City came just at the right time. Well, for the Royals that is. A tight battle all the way to the ninth, tied 9-9, until Jose Guillen sent Alex Gordon home, all the way from first, with a walk-off triple. Guillen also had a HR (12) and his batting average has improved to .275. The Tigers struggle against Kansas continues, they are now 1-5 in the six games they faced each other.

ingecatch1xdz2.jpg

Detroit's Inge makes a spectacular catch at the wall - Tigers still fell short

May 14th, 2008 -- TIGERS @ ROYALS 2-3

GAME 2 of 3

Almost playoff type atmosphere for Game 2 of this series and the fans at sold out Kauffman Stadium would not be disappointed. Another thriller it was, with two outs and tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 9th inning, it was 3B Alex Gordon who unleashed the GW HR to left Center Field, ensuring yet another win against the high powered Tigers. Kansas City moved now 5.5 games in front of Detroit and will be looking for the sweep tomorrow night.

gordonwalkoff1xrl3.jpg

A.Gordon's walk off shot lifts the Royals to their 4th straight win

May 15th, 2008 -- TIGERS @ ROYALS 0-3

GAME 3 of 3

Gil Meche's gem helped the Kansas City Royals to extend their lead to 6.5 games in the AL-Central, sweeping direct rivals Detroit. Meche went the distance, allowing 6 H, no runs, while striking out 8. Dontrelle Willis missed the opportunity to become the American League's first six game winner, pitching 7.0 innings and allowing three runs, two of them earned. Detroit's sole bright spot has been Magglio Ordonez. The defending MLB batting champion extended his hit streak to 11 games with his average just below .400.

meche31xqz2.jpg

Meche is emerging as a leader

BOX SCORE 1

BOX SCORE 2

BOX SCORE 3

[align=center]2008 ROYALS DYNASTY -- click me[/align]

May 16th, 2008 -- ROYALS @ MARLINS 15-9

GAME 1 of 3

The Marlins hosted the Royals in a slug fest, were both teams combined for 29 hits, with Kansas City, once again, coming out on top. The Royals have now won six straight, and Brian Bannister, while allowing 8 ER, still secured the victory in a rather bizarre encounter between these two teams. Florida's Josh Johnson allowed 9 ER and Doug Waechter allowed 5 ER over his three inning stint. Mark Grudzielanek and Ross Gload each had 3 RBI, lifting Kansas City to an eventually secure win in Game 1.

hanleyhr1xyo3.jpg

Ramirez celebrates his HR off of Jimmy Gobble in the 7th inning

May 17th, 2008 -- ROYALS @ MARLINS 7-3

GAME 2 of 3

Committing a season high four errors would not help the Marlins to challenge the scarily hot Royals in today's game. While turning a four-run deficit into a one-run game in the 5th inning, this young Florida team could not prevent yet another loss against Trey Hillman's team. This time it was John Buck, the Royals catcher who hasn't been that hot of late, who went 3-4, with a double, a homer and 1 RBI. "We have a great supporting cast in this team. I mean, in that we are all playing for the team, it is not about individuals..." Kansas City is looking for its sixth sweep of this young season. Quite a remarkable ride it has been.

throwerror1xbd3.jpg

One of four Marlins throwing errors

May 18th, 2008 -- ROYALS @ MARLINS 9-1

GAME 3 of 3

Florida's Andrew Miller had a nightmare of a game and probably wished he had had the flu instead. Miller was

headed for trouble already in the first inning when he allowed a lead off triple by Joey Gathright. The latter scored on David DeJesus' sacrifice fly. Jose Guillen also tripled in the first, but Miller eventually got out of the jam. Not so lucky in the third inning. After walking Gathright to open the inning, Miller surrendered five consecutive hits by DeJesus (single), Gordon (single), Guillen (single), Billy Butler (double) and Miguel Olivo (HR). John Bale did not allow a run over six innings and Nunez got a rare save. Both pitchers allowed 3 hits each. Dan Uggla scored the only run for the Fish, but in the 9th inning, down 0-9, it did not matter much.

butler2bbig1xze8.jpg

Butler notched his 20th double of the year

BOX SCORE 1

BOX SCORE 2

BOX SCORE 3

May 19th, 2008 -- ROYALS @ RED SOX 5-3

GAME 1 of 4

Defending World Champions Boston Red Sox were just starting to get back on track after a rather slow start into that season. Coming off a four game win streak and first place in the Al-EAST within reach, the Royals would have usually been a welcome guest at Fenway Park. Kansas City had none of it, especially no respect for big names in Boston's lineup. In fact, Mark Grudzielanek was the only Royals member that did not get a hit today. Jose Guillen has been nothing but clutch against big name foes and with three hits for him today, that wasn't about to change. KC's Gil Meche pitched six scoreless innings and secured his 6th win of the year, tied for the lead in the Majors.

shatteredbat1xdt9.jpg

Manny's bat shatters

May 20th, 2008 -- ROYALS @ RED SOX 6-7

GAME 2 of 4

There was simply no way Boston was going to give up back-to-back losses to the Royals. No matter needed to be done, the Red Sox would do it. And it was the defending Champs' day. The Royals were not able to hang on to both their leads in the game and Boston refused to give up. With the game headed for extra innings, tied 6-6, it was Manny Ramirez' 41st RBI of the season that send the Sox home as winners in the bottom of the 10th. Ortiz was equally hot at the plate. The DH went 4-5, 2B and two RBI.

badcall1xxl1.jpg

Clearly a bad call by the umpire

May 21st, 2008 -- ROYALS @ RED SOX 5-0

GAME 3 of 4

The Kansas City Royals took a one run lead all the way to the ninth inning before blowing the game wide open when they scored 4 runs. All five runs scored by the Royals were courtesies of solo homeruns. Ross Gload with 2 (8), John Buck (5), Jose Guillen (14) and Billy Butler (11) combined for those five jacks and three of those were surrendered by Hideki Okajima, who has struggled so far this year.

gordonlimp1xfo6.jpg

Gordon limped off the field after a collision but eventually remained in the game

May 22nd, 2008 -- ROYALS @ RED SOX 9-8

GAME 4 of 4

Whoever would have said the the Royals will lead, not only their division, but have the best record in the entire league, would have been declared insane. Now that it is a reality, many comparisons come to mind. How about the Rockies 21 game win streak last year, how about those young Diamondbacks who went as far as they did last year. But in this case, it seems even more significant. Kansas City has been a losing team for years now, but with this year's new coaching acquisition Trey Hillman, this miracle has been underway since April. Today's final game of the series went into extra innings once again, but this time around, Kansas came out on top. David Ortiz' blast in the 11th inning got Boston within one run, but that's all she wrote. Boston dropped to the .500 mark (25-25) for the 10th time this year and find themselves in 4th spot of the AL-EAST.

butlermonster1xdy6.jpg

Billy Butler sends one over the "Green Monster" - 12th HR of 2008

BOX SCORE 1

BOX SCORE 2

BOX SCORE 3

BOX SCORE 4

[align=center]UPDATED STATS AND STANDINGS, NEWS, etc. -- click me[/align]

May 23rd, 2008 -- ROYALS @ BLUE JAYS 4-3

GAME 1 of 4

The Toronto Blue Jays had just come off a 4 game winning streak before hosting a four game series against the Royals. Any team would be hard pressed to play Hillman's surging young squad. No different in Game 1 today. Toronto could not hang on to their lead, eventually losing 4-3. SP Casey Janssen started well and did not allow a hit until the fourth inning, before the Royals got him for a combined three runs in the 6th and 7th inning. Guillen, Butler and Teahen once again had an RBI each. Guillen's RBI came on a solo shot in the 6th, his 15th jack of the season. SP Brett Tomko got himself into some trouble, however, the bullpen was solid and preserved the win.

guillen15thhr1xwb4.jpg

Guillen hit his 6th HR on the road - 15th of the year

May 24th, 2008 -- ROYALS @ BLUE JAYS 9-5

GAME 2 of 4

KC Ace Gil Meche, looking for his league leading 7th win of the campaign, took the mound. Behind RBI machines Billy Butler and Jose Guillen, Meche achieved this rather easily. Pitching six strong innings, allowing 4 hits and one run, he kept Toronto in check and they never really found a rhythm against the righty. Toronto's Cy Young hopeful Roy Halladay needs a major boost in his next few starts, if he wants to be a serious contender for this prestigious award. Losing his fourth game of the year and not looking like good old Roy, at all, Toronto's big gun has plenty of hard work ahead of him. Too many weapons offensively for the Royals, Billy Butler and Jose Guillen underlined this once again. Combining for six RBI, the duo alone, proved to be too much for the Jays to handle.

avoidcollision1xit9.jpg

McDonald and Hill avoided a scary collision in the 6th inning, but not their second loss in a row

May 25th, 2008 -- ROYALS @ BLUE JAYS 3-2

GAME 3 of 4

A.J. Burnett looked solid and was in line for the win, only to see it all come to an end in the sixth inning. he kept Kansas City's big bats quiet, with both Guillen and Butler going 0-4. Tony Pena Jr., who has been in an offensive slump pretty much since day one, knocked in two RBI on his only hit of the game. He is now batting .133. His defensive skills are clearly superior to thos of Esteban German, but German has been a lot more productive at the plate. "I am hoping that he'll bounce back now, I hope this gave him the confidence he needs. He had a huge game for us today."

tordivingcatch1xlz5.jpg

Impressive diving catch by Rios - not enough as the Jays lose another one

May 26th, 2008 -- ROYALS @ BLUE JAYS 2-3

GAME 4 of 4

Joakim Soria blew his first save of the year, helping the struggling Blue Jays to avoid the sweep. It was an uneventful day, with drama only unfolding in the very last inning. Soria recorded a quick out, before surrendering the tying run and the eventual game winning run, courtesy of a Vernon Wells single. Toronto improved to 27-26 on the year and Jeremy Accardo eared his second win of '08.

gloadplay1xbt6.jpg

Controversial call in the 8th. Hillman ejected after arguing with umpire

The Royals once again dominated a series and they fell just short of yet another sweep. The struggling Twins of Minnesota are headed for Kauffman stadium for a three game set. John Bale and Scott Baker will be the starters.

Archived