Transparent background?

Can somebody please give me step by step directions on how to get a transparent background on a pic and then getting it into the game. I've done portraits before, but wasn't aware of this until recently and I would like to update my pics and do some more. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

Basically the transparent background comes from the alpha picture which is in 8 bit black and white bmp format. Every .fsh file should have a regular 24 bit bmp of the picture of the player, an 8 bit black and white alpha with a white outline of the head anything black on the alpha will be invisible while anything white will be a visible part of the picture.

Here is a sample picture of Ross Gload:

Ross.jpg

Here is a sample alpha of Ross:

rossalpha.jpg

Remember, anything white shows up, anything black will not basically.

I hope this helps...let me know if you have more questions

ok, but when creating a new pic, how do you create the transparent background on the pic in like adobe photoshop or jasc paint shop pro.

what you need to do is spend 5 mins learning the basics through the Photoshop tutorial

Look this up in tutorial => Mask part of an image

that should get you on track...

what are the requirments on the alpha picture?, i tried to make my own and it didnt appear to work but i used another one that was with mvpedit and it worked

also what should i be naming the alpha file?

YES!!!!!! FINALLY I have done it take a look below at my first portrait add-on i know the name doesnt match the picture but i was farustrated and was willing to use it on anyones name please let me know if you think i should change something about my edits before i start making my huge edit

http://www.lazyass3k.com/portraitupdate.jpg

i would like to thank gr8slickg,Kamasutra,Devil24,Rglass95 for all of your help and thanks to anyone that helped that i forgot

fastball, if you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you figure this out? I've literally been trying for about 15+ hours (no joke) and it really is starting to get on my nerves.

Here is what I've figured out so far:

You have to take a .psd and convert it to an .fsh in eagraph. Load it into eapgraph (like I have done with the others), then set the portrait number in mvpedit (that corresponds to the .fsh file) <---is this correct? I think it is, but not sure.

My problem I think is creating this .psd. I use photoshop. I've done it different ways and I still get the crash to desktop:

1) Create dual-layer picture with the second layer 0% opaque (does that mean 100% transparent?)

2) Create a layer mask for the picture using the ADD LAYER MASK

3) Create an alpha channel for the picture using the channel feature.

I've heard talk about transparencies but frankly (and I've used help to no avail) I can't figure it out.

Am I even remotelly doing this somewhat correctly or am I beating my gentials against a brick here? If you could (or someone) provide with almost a preschoolish step by step I would appreciate it.

Alot of these threads go how do I do this? or this isn't working? then the next post is Huzzah! I figured it out. Well, paint me stupid because I really can't.

Anyone's help is appreciated, and also good job everyone on the portraits so far (whats with all the KC and Oak hate though?)

fastball, if you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you figure this out? I've literally been trying for about 15+ hours (no joke) and it really is starting to get on my nerves.

Here is what I've figured out so far:

You have to take a .psd and convert it to an .fsh in eagraph. Load it into eapgraph (like I have done with the others), then set the portrait number in mvpedit (that corresponds to the .fsh file) <---is this correct? I think it is, but not sure.

My problem I think is creating this .psd. I use photoshop. I've done it different ways and I still get the crash to desktop:

1) Create dual-layer picture with the second layer 0% opaque (does that mean 100% transparent?)

2) Create a layer mask for the picture using the ADD LAYER MASK

3) Create an alpha channel for the picture using the channel feature.

I've heard talk about transparencies but frankly (and I've used help to no avail) I can't figure it out.

Am I even remotelly doing this somewhat correctly or am I beating my gentials against a brick here? If you could (or someone) provide with almost a preschoolish step by step I would appreciate it.

Alot of these threads go how do I do this? or this isn't working? then the next post is Huzzah! I figured it out. Well, paint me stupid because I really can't.

Anyone's help is appreciated, and also good job everyone on the portraits so far (whats with all the KC and Oak hate though?)

you're doing alot of work for something fairly simple:

In Photoshop:

Choose wand tool.

Click on the player's face...

Voila, you masked his face.

Make sure you have the correct layer selected in the toolbox and no no other backgrounds as layers. If there's another layer than the player's face, simply delete it. To make sure you have the layer selected (of the player) you double click in the layers box and unlock your layer, giving it a name...

Now you choose layer/add layer mask/hide selection..

and tada, there is your transparent background...

save as a .psd

now you import this in fshed using the psd import (or gif import) plugin.

then you do the rest (edit the fsh for correct id number, import the fsh into the portrait.big, edit the rosters to include the new portrait....blablabla)

There's quite alot of tutorials all over the place on this, and as I mentionned above, using Photoshop you can hide the bacground/make it transparent in about 3 secs... This is explained quite well in the photoshop tutorial..

If only people would read tutorials...

lazy *&@#(*$&@

also, kamasutra, where are those tutorials you mention (for portrait editing, I'm good with the photoshop, just have issues with the FSH/EAgraph programs)? I assure you I have looked far and wide (check the time of this post, for instance).

also, kamasutra, where are those tutorials you mention (for portrait editing, I'm good with the photoshop, just have issues with the FSH/EAgraph programs)? I assure you I have looked far and wide (check the time of this post, for instance).

probably best thread on portrait making:

http://s4.invisionfree.com/MVPmods/index.p...pic=209&hl=

Photoshop: search in photoshop the online tutorial for "Mask part of an image"

if i was you i would stick with adobe photoshop+mvpedit, not only is it less programs its alot easier i thought that having to make an alpha file would be hard and time consuming but its not it actually takes about 2-3-4 minutes to get a portrait ready for mvp edit+transparacy

Archived