Choppiness In Game

Vikrant

My video card is GeForce 7900GS with 256MB RAM. I notice a little bit of choppiness on certain plays. Is it worth it to upgrade my video card to one that has 512MB RAM? This is what is recommended. My computer meets all other requirements so just wanted to ask that question. Video cards with 512 MB RAM are pretty cheap these days. Do you guys get a little choppiness, especially when the camera pans from one side of the field to the other?

Thanks

-Vikrant

My video card is GeForce 7900GS with 256MB RAM. I notice a little bit of choppiness on certain plays. Is it worth it to upgrade my video card to one that has 512MB RAM? This is what is recommended. My computer meets all other requirements so just wanted to ask that question. Video cards with 512 MB RAM are pretty cheap these days. Do you guys get a little choppiness, especially when the camera pans from one side of the field to the other?

Thanks

-Vikrant

It never hurts to upgrade your video card if you have the money to do it. Getting a newer model especially with that much more RAM will do nothing but help you and it won't matter what game you are going to be playing.

Thanks

-Vikrant

Be very careful when shopping for videocards.

ATI and NVIDIA today seem to want to confuse gamers. A 512MB card may or may not be better than what you already have. You need to do some research before you purchase the card. Just want to make sure you don't end up with a 1GB 9400GT or 512MB 9300GT or something (not even sure they exist).

If you post your budget here, we can probably recommend a good card for your setup. Please also supply the processor you are using to prevent bottlenecks.

A good chart to look at is at Tom's Hardware.

I have an Intel Pentium Dual CPU at 3.4Ghz. I have 2 GIGS of RAM. Not sure what kind of RAM but my friend recommended it. You already know my video card, so it has only 256 MB RAM. I can spend $100-$150. I really like NVidia, I am almost certain to buy another NVidia. The choppiness is minor but good video cards are cheap these days. I would like to buy one at my local Fry's Electronics.

Please recommend a good video card. I don't even know if they make video cards with more than 512MB. Didn't find it at NVidia's website. Or maybe I should wait for the prices to fall down even more. I dunno...

I hate to toot this horn again, but for video card research, GPU Review's Database is invaluable as it actually displays specs for various cards.

BTW, as far as RAM is concerned it is most useful for playing at very high resolutions and high levels of antialiasing. More RAM in quantity will not improve the performance of those kewl graphics effects (done by shaders); that's why you'd need to look for shader processors, along with memory bandwidth, memory bus type and GPU speed. These specs give users a good baseline of how the card could perform "on paper".

I currently have a nVidia 9600GT 512MB and I can play many current games smoothly in a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. It can be found easily online for less than $90 US.

Yes, there are 1 GB cards out but I personally wouldn't take a 9600GT at that much memory if there was a more powerful card out at 512MB at a similar price.

For $100-150, your best bet would be an ATI Radeon HD4830 or a Nvidia 9800GT.

I currently own an EVGA 9800GT.

You should be able to pick one up at Fry's for about $125. Stick with major brands though (EVGA, BFG, XFX, etc).

If I was ordering a new 9800GT today, I would get This One.

But if you can wait, you would be much better off going with a 9800GTX+ from Newegg.

ZOTAC nVidia GeForce 9800GT AMP! Edition 512MB DDR3 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express Video Card

ZOTAC nVidia GeForce 9800GT AMP! Edition 512MB DDR3 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express Video Card

*Image may not reflect most recent product revision

Email a Friend Price Alert

Part#: ZT-98GT_OC

Package: RETAIL

Manufacturer: ZOTAC

Manufacturer Part#: ZT-98GES5P-FCP

Shipping Weight: 3.00 lbs.(1.36 kg)

Price: $122.36

Free Ground Shipping

Limit 1 per customer

Quantity:

Product Info Photo Gallery Reviews Warranty

Product Info:

Specification

o Mfr Part Number: ZT-98GES5P-FCP

o Chipset: GeForce 9800 GT

o Engine Clock: 700 MHz <---------------------------

o Video Memory: 512MB DDR3

o Memory Clock: 2 GHz <---------------------------

o Memory Interface: 256-bit

o Bus: PCI-Express x16 (Support PCI-Express 2.0)

o RAMDAC: 400 MHz

o Stream Processors: 112

o Max. Resolution: 2560 x 1600

o Connectors: Dual DVI-I; TV-out (HDTV ready)

o Thermal: Fansink

o Support nVidia SLI Technology

o Support HDCP - High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection

o Support Microsoft DirectX 10, Shader Model 4.0 and OpenGL 2.1

o Package: Retail

o RoHS Compliant

BFG is only

# Core Clock: 600MHz

# Shader Clock: 1500MHz

Archived