First Season Play Through Reactions

cochran191

I just finished up my first season play through. I played a short 52 game season to get the hang of all the controls and quirks of the game. I love the basic mechanics of the game, even while using the keyboard. There are a few things that really upset me though. One is the post game choice for player of the game. I had a pitcher pitch 7 innings and give up 3 runs without a strikeout and win the player of the game, when I had a player go 5-5 with 2 hr's and 6 rbi's in the same game. Also I just finished my world series and my world series MVP was a player who only played in 1 game and went 2-5 with 1 rbi when I had the pitcher in the same game throw a perfect game with 15 k's. The pitcher even won the player of the game in that game. And it both happened in the 4th and final game of the series.

A few other quirks like my pitchers always hitting for better avg's than my normal players and a player that hit 40 hr's in the 52 game season, although I think that has something to do with using the directional hitting buttons after reading a few forums posts. Also has anyone else noticed that in all but the biggest of parks that the cpu outfielders get to just about any fly ball hit?

One problem I haven't figured out yet though which is holding my game experience back is that I cannot throw certain pitches while using the keyboard. An example is using Bronson Arroyo of the Cincinnati Reds. His best pitch is his curveball, but I cannot throw it while using the keyboard because it uses the same directions as this slider, so I always either throw a slider or a fastball. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

All in all I love the game. I have been waiting for a good baseball game since MVP '05 and am very happy with this one. I am even considering picking it up for the Wii just to play a real baseball game with those controls.

Thanks for the heads up on the Wii, I may rent it then just to play it a little. Anybody have any idea about pitching all the pitches with the keyboard? That is the one thing that is really holding all the enjoyment back from the game.

I have never even attempted to play a baseball game on a keyboard so i would have no idea about that. I would highly suggest you go pick up a Logitech Dual Action gamepad for $20, you won't regret it.

You might be better off posting on the 2K forums and see if anyone over there uses the keyboard to play.

It's not to bad, I've only lost 1 game so far. I do have a little trouble fielding fly balls, and the pitching problem I am having, but other than that it is working really well. I was wondering though if there was a roster update available for opening day this year or if I will have to try to do it on my own?

I am even considering picking it up for the Wii just to play a real baseball game with those controls.

Here is my time to spread my knowledge...

Alright, so:

August, 2008. I go to Game Stop. I already have 18 Wii games.

I look at MLB 2k8 for the Wii. Seeing it was a baseball game (sports fan), on the Wii (which I own and like), I decided to pick it up.

One game I played for months with friends was The Bigs for the Wii (4 player multiplayer was the best).

That game was f-u-n. So anyway, my friend and I open it up. We put it in the Wii. We press Start.

The menu looks ok, not too many features but certainly enough features if the game is good.

We play an exhibition game...

Crap was my first reaction to the graphics. Compared to The Bigs that 2K released a year and a half ago, the graphics went worse.

Alright, lets try the gameplay then. I would try to swing, and it would have check swing. The interface was terrible, too.

I don't remember many bugs for it, but the game was crap.

My advice to you: Get the Bigs or the Bigs 2 or MLB Power Pros or MLB Power Pros 2008 for the Wii.

Do not get the Wii version of MLB 2k9.

The only game I gotten rid of for the Wii ever was MLB 2k8. I have 23 other games, and I have found some satisfaction in them.

MLB 2k8 for the Wii was so bad, that I sold it for $20 and just did not want to deal with it ever again.

MLB 2k9 has the same features and no online play.

Started a franchise a couple days ago since the updated rosters, thanks snash!! I actually shuffled a deck of cards, had each card representing a team and decided whichever card I got was going to be my franchise. I'm a diehard cubs fan and was really hoping for them but instead got the Dodgers. Just finished up a 3 game series with the Padres, and off to a good start with a 3-0 mark. Pounded them the 1st two games outscoring them 18-0. Game 3 went to 13 innings with James Loney hitting a solo HR in the top half of the 13th and Broxton shut them down in the bottom to win 4-3 in that one. During the 3 game series we managed to hit 5 homers and the Padres hit only 1. I got Arizona coming up tonight. This should be a fun franchise, good hitters, and a decent pitching staff should make for an interesting season.

Archived