Angel Stadium Of Anaheim - The 2k9 Version

HaloFan

Well, it was bound to happen. After seeing just about every other stadium get a modded release, I decided to finally try and do something to the monstrosity that 2K Sports calls Angel Stadium Of Anaheim. It's still a mess, and there's not much I can do about that. I've worked around the repeating ads as best I can, but due to the silly way 2K handles some of the ads, there is way more repeating than there needs to be, and ironically, ads that SHOULD repeat, don't. So here we go.

post-820-1240811311_thumb.jpg

Starting off slow here. This is the big A outside. It's also the first example of what 2K does wrong. The file I use here for this has 4 images in it, only 2 of which are actually used by anything in the game. The other two go unused. This file is repeated nowhere else in the stadium. So you get a nicely detailed Big A that you'll never see unless you look for it. Congrats!

post-820-1240811328_thumb.jpg

Now look here in Center. I was able to update the building in the stadium to the more accurate look, though the mapping leaves a bit to be desired. Now if you look way in the back you see a billboard. I've been able to put in the actual billboard here thanks to 2K deciding that a file with 8 possible image slots will only use one of them in the entire game! That one is the billboard. The rest of the file isn't even used!

post-820-1240811356_thumb.jpg

The small stuff is here. I'm able to do the dugout wall, at least for the home dugout. The road dugout just repeats it. The at&t texture repeats all the way around the dugouts and suites, as well as many other places in the park. I've also gone and removed all traces of the 2K logo from anything you can see, save for the big issue down below. The Gatorade logo is one of the 2K replacements.

post-820-1240811535_thumb.jpg

And here's the top of the dugouts. Recolored and now using the accurate fonts, the actual dugout tops are brand new in '09, and are different for the first time. Luckilly 2K9 had them as separate areas, even though they were the same last season.

post-820-1240811402_thumb.jpg

And here we go with the attack of the repeating ads. If the game had just used the 7 slots from that billboard file, many of these repeaters could be dumped. The game uses 6 ads to make up the bottom part of the scoreboard there, when it's just one long one. Since it's an ad for at&t, and they're well covered due to the repeating ads, I'm not too upset.

post-820-1240811641_thumb.jpg

And here we go with the most disappointing area of the mod, right field. The four tunnel ads are supposed to be the same ad, but of course 2K decides to use 4 different ads instead. go figure that in one place where repetition would be good, they don't use it. Instead, I get the horrible repetition below the out of town scoreboard. Not only repeaters, but sized to make it impossible to put in the actual ads that belong there. I tried, as I only had two slots left for those, and decided to do the best Adenhart dedication I could do, just taking the patch part of what they actually have on the wall. for the final slot, I put a slightly rejiggered version of the 2010 All-Star Game ad, so that it fit the image size. It doesn't repeat. I updated the scoreboard itself to make it look like the video board that it has been for 5 years instead of the light board 2K still thinks it is. Finally, I put in State Farm ad over on the side there. Sadly, that's now the actual ad located there, as they removed the Memorial Care ad with 3D Baseball that had been there a couple years. I was disappointed with that, as State Farm was already in the game anyway. But it wasn't located there.

post-820-1240811570_thumb.jpg

And finally, we get to what can't be changed. Namely the 2K Sports and Visual Concepts signs on the big board. I hope we can crack that soon. Beyond that, 2K made a big mess here. The ads flanking the 2K Sports sign should be the same ad, but again, the game doesn't repeat where you need it most to. Above those, the Del Taco and Best Buy ads aren't even supposed to be ads! They're video boards displaying stats (and small ads). Stanley and at&t are accurate, and are don't repeat anywhere, which is nice. Then below the board you have a new set of retired numbers. I had to make these from scratch, as I felt the ones I had been using were too small. They were the last piece of art I was still using from my High Heat mod. Now you can read the names, and they are much more reflective of the actual signs.

Anyway, that's that for now. Once I put on some finishing touches, this will be ready to go. And I think that will only leave us with 3 unmodded stadiums. C'mon Florida, Tampa and K.C..

Archived