Plus! 9x Themes For Windows Xp

DylanBradbury

A while back, I was reminiscing about the old themes that came with Plus! for Windows 95 and Windows 98 Plus! I then tried just copying the theme files over from the old CDs, but it was a different format then so it didn't work with XP.

That's where I came in.

I contacted Microsoft, and they surprisingly gave me permission, as long as I didn't use their logo.

It took a few months copying files from their old CD and a lot of editing, but I managed to compile the old themes.

The following themes are included:

From Plus! for Windows 95:

Dangerous Creatures

Inside Your Computer (I accidentally named it Inside Your PC)

Leonardo DaVinci

Mystery

Nature

Science

Sports

The 60's USA

The Golden Era

Travel

Windows 95 (High Contrast)

Windows 95 Default

(More) Windows 95

From Windows 98 Plus!:

Baseball

Jungle

Space

Underwater

Each theme contains the original screensavers, desktop icons, sounds, cursors, and wallpaper.

Screenshots are here.

I don't know if anyone here wants it, but in case anyone does I thought I'd share. You can download the Plus! 9x Themes here or here if that didn't work.

It took a lot of time, but I'm glad to have them again. Enjoy and tell me what you think!

• 1 month later...

Oh my gosh I have been searching for these screensavers forever! Unfortunately the Filefront links you have up are no longer valid. If you could repost them or something I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks for your amazing work. Can you reupload and repost them, please? I'm very interested in them.

Hey folks, glad to hear I'm not the only one who loved these old themes. I can't believe you found this old post.

I'd make a setup file, but there were some problems installing in the windows folder, so you have to move the files yourself. Not too difficult.

Here are the instructions on where to move the folders:

Okay, so...

If you extract this file to the desktop you'll have two folders... "98" and "Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95"

For 98...

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Themes\Underwater.Theme"

To here: "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Cursors\*"

To here: "C:\Windows\Cursors"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Media\*"

To here: "C:\Windows\Media"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Plus! 98\*"

To here: "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Plus! 98"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\system32\*"

To here: "C:\Windows\system32"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Themes\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\system32\wl32dll.dll"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\system32\wildlb32.dll"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Plus! 98\My Documents Icon.ico"

For Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95...

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Themes\Windows 95 Default.Theme"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Cursors\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Media\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Plus! 95\*"

To here: "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Plus! 95"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\system32\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\system32\wl32dll.dll"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\system32\wildlb32.dll"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Themes\*"

Hopefully that works! Replace USERNAME with your username. If you have any questions, just ask here.

Plus_9x_Themes_for_XP.rar

• 1 year later...

Any idea what I may have done wrong? I keep getting a box that says it won't run a dll as an app.

Hey folks, glad to hear I'm not the only one who loved these old themes. I can't believe you found this old post.

I'd make a setup file, but there were some problems installing in the windows folder, so you have to move the files yourself. Not too difficult.

Okay, so...

If you extract this file to the desktop you'll have two folders... "98" and "Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95"

For 98...

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Themes\Underwater.Theme"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Cursors\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Media\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Plus! 98\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\system32\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Themes\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\98\Plus! 98\My Documents Icon.ico"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Themes\Windows 95 Default.Theme"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Cursors\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Media\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Plus! 95\*"

To here: "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Plus! 95"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\system32\*"

Move this: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95\Themes\*"

Hopefully that works! Replace USERNAME with your username. If you have any questions, just ask here.

• 3 years later...

Okay, so...

For 98...

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktop98ThemesUnderwater.Theme"

To here: "C:WindowsResourcesThemes"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktop98Cursors*"

To here: "C:WindowsCursors"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktop98Media*"

To here: "C:WindowsMedia"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktop98Plus! 98*"

To here: "C:WindowsResourcesThemesPlus! 98"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktop98system32*"

To here: "C:Windowssystem32"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktop98Themes*"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95system32wl32dll.dll"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95system32wildlb32.dll"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktop98Plus! 98My Documents Icon.ico"

To here: "C:WindowsResourcesThemesPlus! 98"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95ThemesWindows 95 Default.Theme"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95Cursors*"

To here: "C:WindowsCursors"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95Media*"

To here: "C:WindowsMedia"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95Plus! 95*"

To here: "C:WindowsResourcesThemesPlus! 95"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95system32*"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95system32wl32dll.dll"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95system32wildlb32.dll"

Move this: "C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEDesktopMicrosoft Plus! for Windows 95Themes*"

Thank you very much for the .rar file !!!