datafile.txt file origins ?

stecropper

First my compliments to those that have provided us several excellent datafile.txt mods. I have used both Roddata's and KSM's extensively and found them to be excellent pieces of work which truly have added to the realism of this game.

My question is: How did they ever discover how to create these datafile.txt files since the default MVP 2004 game does not have a datafile.txt file included in it's data directory out of the box nor does it create one when things such as tuning sliders are set? Thus, I am confused as how or where these modders discovered the base datafile.txt to even begin adjusting. Thanks for any insight on this curiosity of mine.

Don

from snepp's site:

"At the core of MVP Baseball is the "datafile". Basically a very large text file it houses some of the most important information used by the game. Anything from lighting and camera angles to animation timing and ball physics can be controlled. All of this starts here."

..an excellent description, visit his site for info or search the boards

Kamasutra,

Thanks for your response. I did look in the data directory for the EA Sports version of the datafile.txt file after I reinstalled the game from scratch and there was none. So I searched the MVP 2004 CD and still found none. Went back and searched my entire hard drive and couldn't locate any in any of the MVP 2004 directories either in the My Documents directory or the Program Files directory for MVP 2004. So that is the basis for my curiosity. Where did these guys initially come up with their datafile.txt files. I realize that once I downloaded their datafile mods to the datafile.txt file and placed it in the MVP 2004 directory then there was one. But I still am confused as to how did they initially discovered that if you create a datafile.txt file and place it in the data directory that it would impact the game. I recall some discussion on compression and decompression of the datafile.txt for editing but still don't understand where this datafile stuff originally comes from since it isn't part of the game files when initially installed and it doesn't exist on the game CD either. This is just something that has baffled me for awhile and I thought I would just try to ask to see if someone could explain what I am missing here.

BTW - are you the author of the KSM datafile mods. I know you have made some terrific mods but not certain if you are the creator of those particular datafile mods which are excellent in my opinion.

Thanks Again,

Don

Don,

they most probably inspected the various ".big" files you see in your game directories (do some browsing, it shouldn't be hard to find them). By decompressing some these and opening them in an editor you can see some interesting things. As for the datafile itself, in my case, it is located in the place I mentioned to you before. I can't remember if I put it there or the game did. I'm guessing the game did since the file is "datafile.big". It might also be uncompressed from another bigger file.

Most discoveries were made by painstakingly adjusting values 1 by 1, till improvements were made, as I can attest to the "painstakingly" part... Alot was accomplished with the help of the community, through the various forums (including the defunct HH forums). Data file tweakers worked well together to bring out new discoveries and refine the datafile.

as for ksm, no it's not mine. I did put out one a while back (combo datafile mod) with different cameras & tweaks. KSM I think is a compilation of other datafiles if I'm not mistaking.

Perhaps someone else would care to provide more info for you if you need more.

Kamasutra,

You nailed it my friend. Thanks. I can't believe I over looked the actual "datafile" Directory in MVP 2004 which, as you stated, includes the datafile.big file. I must have always been looking for the .txt type file and never realized there was a .big file in a datafile directory. I feel somewhat foolish because it is right there as you said. Thanks again now I know where it all originates from. I guess I got really confused when I tried to reinstall the game to get back to the original datafile and didn't discover a datafile.txt file in the MVP data directory. It must be all these long nights playing this game is making me somewhat punch drunk. Because I have been working with computers since the mid '60s and can't believe I missed this. Thanks again it is truly appreciated and now I can rest that curiosity.

LoL Don, we're all a little drunk/crazy/curious at one time or another, it's always good to be curious, basically that's what drove the datafile discoveries in the first place :wink:

on another note, i noticed you started a thread asking people what tweaks they use. I have a survey on my site that addresses my datafile mod mostly (as well as sliders/cameras & tweaks) running for 8 months now that perhaps should give you some insight as well.

Here's the link:

Datafile Survey

the survey is still open so you can add your input anytime

kccitystar,

Nice picture .... but a little pre '60s .... more like '50s there with cathray tubes ...... and no such thing as PCs until late into the '70s ..... in the '60s I started on the IBM 1401 card reading single treaded/tasking type computer and before the end of the '60s I elevated my game to the System/360 running DOS and OS/MVT/MFT operating systems which were the beginning of true multi-threading computers meaning running more than one job (i.e. partition) at a time. I actually was a Operating Systems Programmer installing, problem solving and maintaining IBM operating systems while writing true assembler language code (ALC) and even to the machine level code at times. I missed those days ...... quite different than computers of today. But man was it tuff simulating an entire 9 inning baseball game in those days !!!!

Thanks for the picture ......... it does bring back memories !!!!

Archived