Broken Bats

redeck

The other day i was watching a game on ESPN, when a batters bat exploded as they do these days, and the bat head like a spear spun uncontrolled into the crowd. Fortunately no one was hurt, but really.....................

How long until someone gets killed either playing in or watching an MLB game by a flying broken bat?

In my opinion, if something needs to be changed in baseball its this. Bats used to be made of harder woods, but these days players want lighter weight bats ect.....they need to be made to use more sturdy bats before someone loses an eye here.....

What do you think?

Well, I think you are right. I can remember many years back when a Dodger catcher named Steve Yeager was in the on deck circle and the batter broke his bat and part of the bat hit Yeager and got stuck in his neck. He had to leave the game to have emergency surgery. I saw this on the news, not when it happened.

I remember Steve Yeager as well, and hearing the story, but that was back in the day when bats broke with less frequency, it seems today like they go through a forest a game. yeager was also catching at the time wasnt he? When he came back he had a special attachment that hung from his mask, not unlike what Patrick Roy wore for so many years.

Was it last year that a Cubs player was speared in the chest and drew blood from a broken bat while running the bases?

How lucky MLB is that noone has been killed, it will be a pretty bad day when it happens, and then instead of regulating the wood of the bats or at least the thickness of the handles MLB will require all baserunners fielders coaches and fans to wear flak jackets during batting practice and the game.

Archived