Boston Fires Terry Francona

Yankee4Life

Yes I know it was announced that both the Boston Red Sox and Terry Francona decided to part ways amicably but it is clear to me at least that this was not the case. The Red Sox needed a fall guy and who else but the manager? I am no fan of Francona only because he wore the wrong uniform for eight years. But ignoring that fact for a minute I have to say that Francona did not deserve this.

This isn't the first time this ballclub has run a manager out of town after the Sox fell on their faces. In 2003 they got rid of Grady Little because they lost the ALCS. Now they get rid of Francona because the ballclub had an historic collapse this month and failed to make the playoffs.

Hey, I loved it. I enjoyed this month like every good Yankee fan should. Watching the Red Sox fall apart day after day was beautiful. I hope they do it every year. But at the same time was this Francona's fault? No way. This guy deserved better.

LINK TO ARTICLE.

Time for a change: Terry Francona, Red Sox part ways

It’s official: Terry Francona is out as Boston Red Sox manager.

An announcement that was expected Friday morning finally came Friday afternoon.

Terry Francona is no longer the Red Sox manager. (AP Photo)

The Red Sox offered the following statement:

"We met with Terry Francona, Theo Epstein and Ben Cherington Friday morning to discuss the 2011 season, ways to improve the club in the future, and Tito's status. During the meeting, Tito, Theo and Ben agreed that the Red Sox would benefit from an improved clubhouse culture and higher standards in several areas. Tito said that after eight years here he was frustrated by his difficulty making an impact with the players, that a different voice was needed, and that it was time for him to move on. After taking time to reflect on Tito's sentiments, we agreed that it was best for the Red Sox not to exercise the option years on his contract."

"We have enormous respect, admiration and appreciation for Tito and the job that he did for eight years, including two World Series Championship seasons and five playoff appearances. His poise during the 2004 post-season was a key factor in the greatest comeback in baseball history, and his place in Red Sox history will never be forgotten. We wish him only the best going forward."

After the Red Sox's historic collapse was completed Wednesday night, speculation quickly mounted that someone would take the fall.

Francona, the only manager to win two World Series in the past 10 years, became the obvious choice for a few reasons:

1) He didn’t have to be fired; the Red Sox simply didn’t pick up options he had on his contract for 2012 and 2013.

2) Team chemistry was lacking this season. At a season-wrap-up news conference on Thursday, Francona admitted the club lacked the cohesiveness he thought it needed.

"There were some things that did concern me," he said. "Normally as the season progresses, there are events that make you care about each other, and this club, it didn't always happen as much as I wanted it to. And I was frustrated by that."

3) Another telling sign: Through the team's month-long slump, Francona said he never heard from club owner John Henry.

The parting is said to be mutual but if the Red Sox had played up to expectations, no change would have been made.

Francona's era in Boston will be remembered for ending the franchise's 86-year World Series championship drought, a feat that earned him plenty of job security. When he managed the club to a second title in 2007, his status was further strengthened and he was given a three-year, $12 million contract in 2009.

But as St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa often has said, when players stop hearing the manager's message, it's time for a change. That apparently is what happened in Boston. When the club started 0-6 this season, Francona's steady hand was a plus. The club recovered and had the majors' best record over the next four months.

When the Red Sox stumbled in September, Francona's steadiness became a weakness. The team played with a lack of urgency, believing that its ability would make the difference and all would be OK.

Replacing Francona won't be easy. Bobby Valentine is a big-name candidate who has remained close to the game in his role with ESPN. He has managed in a big market and has shown he can handle the media.

Bench coach DeMarlo Hale is the best in-house candidate, and he has interviewed for numerous managerial jobs in recent years. He lost out on the Toronto Blue Jays’ managerial job last offseason to John Farrell, the Red Sox’s pitching coach at the time.

Francona might not stay unemployed for long. His steady, calm presence could be welcomed by the Chicago White Sox after the combustible reign of Ozzie Guillen. Francona has worked for White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, having managed the Class AA team in Birmingham when Michael Jordan played.

He deserved better. They need to get rid of the cancer that is named Youkilis, and Ortiz. Start fazing out their aging stars, and focus on trying to build from within. Gunning for big name free agents, just for the sake of signing them, doesn't work.

Archived