Game Install problems

SeaTrane

While waiting for my MLB2K12 game disc to arrive I think I will install 2k11, it installs up to  "updating component registration" and then just sits there, will go no farther. I have discs for 2k9, 2k10 and 2k11 and they all do the same thing, on three different computers. Two computers have Windows 10 and one has Windows 7. Checking online shows this is becoming a common problem but I can not find a solution anywhere. any help would be greatly appreciated.

my goodness 2K... :( 

Some people encounter this with other games too, though. Arkham Asylum had this as well as Crysis... 

Try to re-install and just wait it out.. it may take a long time. Some stories say this resolves it. With further research use the term  "updating component registration" in your search (by itself).

What a mess. I copied the files to my hard drive and tried installing but got the "installer error 1639". I don't know why but I copied the files to a usb stick and installed fine, put the disc in the drive and now I am playing MLB2k11 . What in hell did Microsoft do that you can't install a lot of games by using the cd/dvd drive? I have not been able to find a workaround for the "Error occurred installing the package. Windows installer returned '1639' " either. Why does the love of PC gaming have to bring such trials and tribulations?

3 hours ago, SeaTrane said:

What a mess. I copied the files to my hard drive and tried installing but got the "installer error 1639". I don't know why but I copied the files to a usb stick and installed fine, put the disc in the drive and now I am playing MLB2k11 . What in hell did Microsoft do that you can't install a lot of games by using the cd/dvd drive? I have not been able to find a workaround for the "Error occurred installing the package. Windows installer returned '1639' " either. Why does the love of PC gaming have to bring such trials and tribulations?

I know, the downfalls are not enjoyable