High Heat editors and the Lahman database

tinpanalley

Hey man. No luck whatsoever.

The database can't be read by the editor that only is programmed to read up until the year 2000. I have no idea how to change the database info to make it read as if it were from the year 2000 and even if I could, the editor doesn't seem to want to recognise the files created by the Lahman database now. I have a feeling ALL the database content needs to go into Access and then you can spit our a file usable by the game with the fields and values it can read but that is a far stretch based only on my knowledge of working with multi-sheet databases. I have no idea if that's what needed to be done or not.

I have a great HH2004 roster from early 2018. That would probably be easier to just use with the editor and go through the year's transactions. But I was hoping a Lahman solution was possible to import into the game saving tons of time and also being usable in HH2002 and 2003.

I was just playing the game last night and, yeah, I know the graphics stink, and yeah, I know there are other games out there. But the gameplay is so solid. I feel that it's worth the effort.

So, yes, any help you could give would be amazing. Thank you!!

I have made some progress.  I was able to confirm the game will not allow importing if the yearid is greater than 2000 (It would only import the first record if left at 2018).  I build an Access database using the current Lahman data and created queries/exports that could be used in the HH Editor.  The files it uses are located in the editor install folder under another folder called databases.  I apologize if you already knew this.

As you can see I was able to import the 2018 Diamondbacks.  Everyone is a second baseman because I did not go through and edit all the positions.  There would still be plenty of editing involved, as the Lahman import method defaults many fields to specific values.  I found a minor issue with his importing via Lahman, the AB's listed in the historical stats is always off, but the performance AB's are correct.  I need to do a little more testing with the historical stats and the Lahman import, as it also seems to balk at using '2018' as a statistical year (it imports as 2993).

Another option would be for me to export the data from OOTP and build standard CSV's that can also be imported and require far less editing.

I'm going to toy around a bit more using the Lahman method, if it proves futile to get as far as I want, I will shift over to standard CSV's using OOTP data.

Stay tuned....

image.png

On 5/17/2019 at 9:02 PM, Playball335 said:

I apologize if you already knew this. 

I was already aware of this a little but you're clearly more well versed in this than me, so don't apologise for explaining things, it helps me learn. :)

As you can see I was able to import the 2018 Diamondbacks.  Everyone is a second baseman because I did not go through and edit all the positions.  There would still be plenty of editing involved, as the Lahman import method defaults many fields to specific values.

Yes, I did notice that even if you import a Lahman db from a year the editor is capable of accepting it still leaves tons of things to edit particular to each player (skin tone, number, position, etc)

Another option would be for me to export the data from OOTP and build standard CSV's that can also be imported and require far less editing. 

I'm going to toy around a bit more using the Lahman method, if it proves futile to get as far as I want, I will shift over to standard CSV's using OOTP data.

I often wondered whether editing the editor itself to accept different fields might be worthwhile but I have NO idea how to do that, then I thought, couldn't one get a CSV from OOTP and import that data instead, just as you suggested. The benefit is you could choose what data to import into what fields (I'm guessing) and then you could do this every year and import not only to HH2004 but also 2002! I'm thrilled to bits. So glad someone else more capable is on this. Please keep me up to date and let me know if you need any help testing things.

Thanks!

Archived