Seven years after game 1 of the NLCS...

excremento

Back to playing MVP after a long break and my first "real" game (game of consequence) was game 2 of the 2009 NLCS in my "Loaded" Dynasty. Not sure why I never finished the playoffs. This Dynasty is one I started before the MVP2008 mod and is just for fun...not as a challenge. As the name suggests, it's full of hall of famers and top current (or formerly top) players with the goal of winning as much as possible and hitting the cover off the ball.

Bob Gibson got the start vs. Pedro Martinez and the Mets. Top of the 3rd, due to user error on the fielding, Gibson gives up three runs. But, in the bottom half, with Joe Morgan on 2nd (after stealing), Gibson homers off Pedro without even trying. Must have been a good swing.

Bottom of the 5th, Morgan again singles and steals second. After Gibson flies out, Ty Cobb singles home Morgan. Honus Wagner walks and Albert Pujols rips a triple to the gap (and I had been thinking double). Ted Williams then hits a deep sac fly to plate Pujols to make it 6-3. Babe Ruth then gets a fat one to crush but it's caught at the wall for the 3rd out. Both teams add one run in the 6th (Gibson with a sac fly), and the Mets make it 5-7 with a Jose Reyes homer in the 7th. In the bottom of the 8th, Cardinals add one more run and win 8-5 to take a 2-0 series lead.

Gibson goes 7 innings, strikes out 9, gives up five earned (or...maybe 2, given my error) and has 3 RBI. :)

It's good to be back. Once I finish these playoffs, it will be time to go back to my normal Cardinals dynasty and have more of a challenge. 

It sounds like you just played a good tight ball game, that's why I love this game so much and that's why I've been doing it for 14 years...

58 minutes ago, excremento said:

Gibson homers off Pedro without even trying. Must have been a good swing.

The best feeling is when you hit a homer with only a good timing swing..

8 minutes ago, laroquece said:

The best feeling is when you hit a homer with only a good timing swing..

Indeed. At first I was thinking, "A pitcher just homered off Pedro?" But then I remembered that in real life, Gibson was pretty good with a bat. 

Archived