Strikeouts making me mad

boulet430

Its so frustrating. I've only played exhibition games so far and have played as Randy Johnson for most of them. I've got Spitoon's new datafile, and I've tried All-Star with those sliders from the site and I've tried Pro tinkering with the sliders.

I've had a couple of good strikeout games(never more than 10) but on average I get 3 or 4 a game. If RJ averaged 4 k's a start over a season, he'd average 128 strikeouts a year. 8O

Can anyone create a datafile or something that increases the strikeout totals? Don't tell me its all about setting up the hitter, because I know that and I do that. It just seems that with 2 strikes, the CPU tends to make contact and put the ball in play. If I lower the CPU contact ratings, the game gets too easy. :roll:

Most I ever got was 9 with Matt Clement. I'm on Pro, default settings.

I find that its alot easier to get the strikeout if you throw outside the strikezone and make him chase it, or throw right on the edge of the inside strikezone with heat and hope to blow it past him.

That is, if you already have 2 strikes against him.

Most I ever got was 9 with Matt Clement. I'm on Pro, default settings.

I find that its alot easier to get the strikeout if you throw outside the strikezone and make him chase it, or throw right on the edge of the inside strikezone with heat and hope to blow it past him.

That is, if you already have 2 strikes against him.

Ya I've seen what works in the game, its just that the hitters rarely strikeout. Even if they chase one out of the zone, they normally get a groundball or a weak popup foul that I catch.

maybe your problem is that Randy Johnson is old and isn't going to strike out 10 a game anymore. Try Jason Schmidt. I get 12-15 K's per game with him.

ya you are probably right. He will probably drop to 128 strikeouts this year because he is old. :roll:

I've no problem with Randy-stikeouts on pro-level.

Most ks in one game 18ks and 1 perfect game and several nohitters in season modus.

Usually I start right away with a Fastball in a cold zone,then pitch a chanceup or splitter out of the zone,if the hitter has two strikes I finish him with a slider inside,just out of the k-zone.

Good luck

Most ks in one game 18ks and 1 perfect game and several nohitters in season modus.

Usually I start right away with a Fastball in a cold zone,then pitch a chanceup or splitter out of the zone,if the hitter has two strikes I finish him with a slider inside,just out of the k-zone.

Good luck

what are your slider settings?

Good luck

you're game obviously is too easy by the way. If you are throwing several no-hitters in a season, that is not realistic. I actually want to be challenged.

I find that on All-Star, you have to hit the green perfect zone or the computer will thrash you. However, if you are able to hit that zone consistently, I dont see how you can't pull in 7-10 a game with most strikeout pitchers.

I had 21 strikeouts with Derek Lowe once, in all star leve.

What i always do is use pitches in the corner, or breaking balls from outside K zone to inside k zone, then i set up a sinking pitch, like curve, knuckel curve, and sinker, and the hitter usually chases it.

I had 21 strikeouts with Derek Lowe once, in all star leve.

What i always do is use pitches in the corner, or breaking balls from outside K zone to inside k zone, then i set up a sinking pitch, like curve, knuckel curve, and sinker, and the hitter usually chases it.

maybe I need to go back to the stock datafile. What are you on?

maybe I need to go back to the stock datafile. What are you on?

That seems to be the trade off...I find it way easier to strike guys out when you are hitting the green 'perfect' zone of the meter...unfortunatley, for me anyways, if the green zone is there, I don't walk anyone...so I need to choose between walks and strike-outs...obviously, from a 'winning the game' perspective, I should choose the strike-outs, but from a 'reality' perspective, I'd like to see some walks in there..... :?

That seems to be the trade off...I find it way easier to strike guys out when you are hitting the green 'perfect' zone of the meter...unfortunatley, for me anyways, if the green zone is there, I don't walk anyone...so I need to choose between walks and strike-outs...obviously, from a 'winning the game' perspective, I should choose the strike-outs, but from a 'reality' perspective, I'd like to see some walks in there..... :?

I hear you Spitoon. Damn EA can't have walks AND strikeouts? They should have a strikeout rating for pitchers just like ESPN does. :roll:

I tried using MVPEdit to add 50% more strikeouts to all of my pitchers stats...I only played one Exhibition game but it didn't seem to make it any better...

I'd be willing to scrap my existing .sav and start over if that worked, but it doesn't appear to make any difference...maybe I'll try some more.

In MVP, sinkerballers and knuckleballers are the best for strikeouts. Ive never struck out more than 8 with an elte pitcher, but ive struck out 17 with derek lowe and 14 with tim wakefield. Sinkers are usually swung on and missed, as it is the best pitch in the game.

on a slider setting post by someone, the strikeout problem was also mentioned and a few people stated that when they changed the cpu swing freguency to -49, the batters went deeper into the account and caused more strikeouts.

On '04, I used Mike Mussina's knuckle-curve to get 6+ K's per start with him. In '05, the games I've played with RJ, I've been getting a bare minimum of 10 per game. Fastballs and sliders are the key. My speciality pitch in-game and when pitching for real is a slider off the plate, so in this case, with RJ, I would normally use a fastball down and in to lefties and down and away to righties for strike one and depending on how his swing looked, either a fastball on the other side of the plate and then a slider off the plate, away from lefties and in on righties. If he takes it, throw it again. If he takes it, throw a fastball on the opposite side of strike one. Usually works for me.

I find most of my k's come from sliders low and away, and fastballs on the corners (after giving the batter a juicy pitch to foul away).

with Wakefield, I can get all sorts of fly balls, but I dont get so many strikeouts really.

I'd say most of my strikeouts come from my fastball pitchers (who also have a decent slider), so I don't know what to tell ya.

Two notes, where are your sliders... I know that one that I felt absolutely need adjusted was cpu swing frequency, adjusted down, so cpu took more pitches, which actually leads to more BBs and Ks, because you get deeper in the count. Also, you have to hit the green on the pitch meter and hit the corners on the strike zone (or not be in the strikezone when your ahead in the count). Even Randy Johnson isn't going to strike out many if most of his pitches are waist high, middle of the plate.

Archived