Extending vs. restructure...

pslamp32

...is there any way to simply extend a contract. It seems like it only gives you the option of giving the player a new contract. Also, what is the effect of changing the 'indispensible', 'ace', 'spot-starter' etc. dialogue? Is this what you rate them as opposed to what they rate themselves, and how does this effect negotiations? Damn manual is useless. Thanks. :D

When you go to payroll you can extend the contract by simply adding years onto it. Obviously, if the player thinks he isn't getting payed enough a year for 2 years, he wouldn't want that amount for 5 years. In my experience you can add or remove one year from what they are asking and leave everything the same and they will accept. In response to the ace, spot starter etc - i believe this determines whether they are happy on your team and it affects team chemistry. If you sign someone to be an ace and they end up in long relief, obviously they are gunna be pissed about their playing time. Also, if they believe they should be an ace, they will expect the contract to promise them the ace MLB job. so you have two options, change them to starter, or spot starter and offer them more money (which they will eventually accept) or sign them and hurt your team chemistry.

It seems to me that when I negotiate like a 3 year contract for someone who has 2 years remaining, that their contract ends up being just the 3 years, not the 5 I would like. Am I doing something wrong? I want to extend not restructure. Thanks.

You cannot directly extend the particular contract, the only thing you can do is to resign the players to a longer term. MVP has a very rudimentary contract system, along with a rudimentary almost everything in owner / dynasty mode, so this is the best you can do.

It takes some getting used to, but eventually becomes second nature. Which reminds me, I should download OOTP6 again.

The problem seems that generally when you offer a new contract, the player wants a raise. So, if you simply wanna extend you end up increasing their salary 'now'. This I think increases your payroll when I simply want to keep the player from hitting free-agency, which I assume would happen if I wait for the contract to expire. Am I screwed in this regard or am I missing something. Thanks.

Archived