Revised Names File In Progress

GForce22

OK, here's the story.

Apparently, the Names file they have took players from the past 2 or 3 years (Masato Yoshii's name is in there for example) and bases frequency solely on that. There are the same number of first names as last in the file, some obviously occurring more than once, but there are the same number of entries, so this is obviously how they did it.

It's just a csv with a first name column and a last name column. This setup is why you end up with hybrid-ethnic names...there's no qualifier for asian/hispanic/"black"/"white names to go with each other. Nothing, just a random pull of the names and such is life.

So if Michael Garciaparra had made the majors, the file would have, say 4 entries for "smith" as a last name, and 2 for "Garciaparra", even though Smith is a name that occurs in real life much more than twice that of Garciaparra.

I can't work around the ethnic names issue, it's regrettably a flaw within the setup. I can, however, redo the names file to include far more names with appropriate frequencies to allow for greater variety of rookie generation. There will be, literally, thousands of possibilities when I'm done.

GH

GForce22,

By chance do they have any indication which of these last names they announce in the game or would you think they announce every last name in this list. If so, I would really be interested in having a copy of their default list. Reason for this request is that I do not use Portraits in my Classic Rosters because I perfer hearing a players last name announced in the game more so than I enjoy seeing his Portrait and if I place a Portrait in the game for a player then his name is no longer announced. Thus, if I had a list of names actually announced in the game then I could at least assign Portraits for those that names would not be announced regardless.

Thanks,

Don

GForce22,

By chance do they have any indication which of these last names they announce in the game or would you think they announce every last name in this list. If so, I would really be interested in having a copy of their default list. Reason for this request is that I do not use Portraits in my Classic Rosters because I perfer hearing a players last name announced in the game more so than I enjoy seeing his Portrait and if I place a Portrait in the game for a player then his name is no longer announced. Thus, if I had a list of names actually announced in the game then I could at least assign Portraits for those that names would not be announced regardless.

Thanks,

Don

There's nothing that seems to indicate this...there are only 3 columns in the names.csv...first, last, and something I forget related to linking or something, but it's at 0 for all entries. I'm wondering if this is so you could link the first name on line 1 with the last on line 1 and they would be paired if chose for creation, but I really don't know for sure. But there's nothing with an audio list anywhere in this file.

GH

This is gonna take me a while guys. I have access to a TON of names, but I need to enter all of them the appropriate number of times into the file (as opposed to OOTP, where it's just the name and a number next to it.MUCH easier).

I'm developing the TotalMinors rating sheets right now, but will get to this as I can.

GH

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to open the names file (the 2004 version) and editor

Hower i have a question regarding the excel names file. Can you add more names to the list by....

1) simply adding more names to the excel "names file" list (the last entry being number 2657), like for example

2657 "..........."

2658 "the name i want to use"

and than save and import into the Rookie.big file

OR

2) Is the process more difficult than this, and i'm to naive to belive that it is as simple as adding to a list

If anyone knows the answer i woudl appreciate it!

Archived