TotalMinors Prospect Creator

GForce22

Figured I would announce this now...

Though it still appears unlikely I will be doing a roster set this year, I have been going over my formulas and completely redeveloping the TotalMinors spreadsheet. I'm using more stuff for formulas, and making it exclusively MVP based.

Last year's TotalMinors worked off of spreadsheets really designed for my work for OOTP. I had lots of wasted space, and I also was missing a lot of data in the sheet itself, which meant that for half the things I was looking at a printout of my spreadsheet, for others I was looking in the scouting book, then to an external chart I had handwritten and posted on the bulletin board on my desk. Basically, the unorganized way I put the sheet together made my work tougher than it had to be.

I have redone my hitter sheet completely. The pitcher sheet will be next. I now have my formulas spitting out projections very near to ZIPS projections. I still have to look at the game a bit more to make sure I am converting my stats calculations into ratings correctly and have developed my fielding ratings chart accordingly.

The plan is to release this sheet for public consumption to help roster makers, as (although I've been kicking it around the past week) I really don't think there's any conceivable way I will have the time to do TotalMinors myself this year (at least not so it would be released before mid-May).

Anyway, here's what the Hitter sheet lets you do:

You enter the following:

-- Handedness of the hitter

-- Last 3 years of stats (using the level he played most at in a given year)

-- Enter the corresponding level number (each league from Gulf Coast to the majors has a league number that you will memorize once you've used the sheet for a team or 2 at the most)

-- Player's age

-- Primary defensive position (you may also enter the secondary position, but since MVP doesn't let you rate for each specific position, this is really cosmetic for you to use when entering data into MVPEdit)

-- "Scouting Value" for Fielding, Range, Arm strength, Arm Accuracy. You may use "P" (poor), "D" (decent), "BA" (below average), "A" (average, which will be the default if you enter nothing), "AA" (above average), "S" (strong), "PL" (plus), "PP" (plus plus). These are oft-used scouting terms when rating these attributes...if different terms are used, use your judgment (i.e., very good=strong, excellent=plus, etc.).

-- The lowest "Speed Score" from a list of PECOTA's five speed score ratings, which are calculated for you based on the stats you entered. You need to enter the lowest in one box so the program can delete, since the true PECOTA speed score, which is then converted into the player's speed rating, takes the average of the top 4 of 5 speed score ratings.

Once these values are entered, the sheet will spit out essentially every rating, including generic player splits, except the hitter's spray chart. Durability is set at 70 by default. If a scouting report/history says a player is injury prone, just adjust that one manually. Everything else is spit out for you.

The main part of the sheet is color coded but still looks somewhat haphazard. The ratings will be included at the bottom of the sheet in a more orderly fashion so you can block select the text and print the ratings out for your use or just refer to on the screen flipping back between MVPEdit and Excel.

Once I establish the scales for contact/power and fielding ratings I will release the first version of the sheet.

Questions or comments are welcome.

GH

that awesome

so for hot/cold zone and spray hit chart that will be the hardest part to firgure out what to do.

and all the others things will be calculated on your spreadsheet for us to enter into mvpedi for created players, etc.

thanks

I want to add something to say how many hot/cold zones a guy should have too. That's a planned addition.

GH

Outstanding. A great compromise to help ensure consistency of work that might somehow be associated with your name but at the same time dividing and conquering the work. Formula's need to be tweaked, but it nearly eliminates team bias as people volunteer to work on favorite teams (and similar scenarios).

I'll be in touch :)

Nick

I have been quietly doing a complete overhaul of the TotalMinors formulas and projections and am now coming very close to the well-regarded ZIPS projections used by Diamond Mind Baseball and sabermetricians. Some top prospects I've run through recently.

Victor Diaz - METS

TotalMinors Projection: .293 AVG/.458 SLG

ZIPS Projection: .292 AVG/.472 SLG

Justin Morneau - TWINS

TMP: .289/.533

ZIPS: .275/.539

Nick Swisher - A's

TMP: .240/.429

ZIPS: .234/.422

Jeremy Reed - Mariners

TMP: .307/.440

ZIPS: .285/.412

Dallas McPherson - Angels

TMP: .280/.551

ZIPS: .275/.513

Chris Burke - Astros

TMP: .285/.411

ZIPS: .284/.401

These numbers being this accurate means my formulas are pretty well in the ballpark...and if they are for these guys, those same formulas should work for all minor leaguers.

I just want to revise the sheets to add Red/Blue zones for Hot/Cold zones and the first release will be available.

GH

wow awesome.

so this spreadsheet will give us all the info on ratings we need to create a player by entering there stats. thats awesome.

that was the hardest part before trying to come up with the ratings on players when making a roster.

sounds like Newbies can create rosters now.

what is a zips projections?

thanks

This is great news!!!

GForce, if i have an excel spreadsheet of stats for players will i be able to cut and paste it into your spreadsheets? i would like to get a head start on compiling/finding the needed stats.

thanks, Plez

With the secondary position, does MVP use some kind of ratio in conjuction with the fielder ratings, like HH did?

Say they're primarily a 3B, with 1B as their secondary position, are they 95% as effective at 1B, and then maybe 85% at other infield positions, and maybe 75% at OF positions? And if they didn't have 1B as a secondary position, they'd only be 85% as effective?

Those are totally arbitrary numbers just for the sake of argument.

Archived