Player Progression Mod Update and Release Schedule

billharris44

We're almost done. The testers are looking at a version now that is either a release candidate or one version away. It will take several days to do league totals at increments for the test dynasty (at 5,10,15,20,30,40,50,60 seasons), and the readme file is going to take a day because I make them way too detailed.

So with that remaining to be done, it looks like Friday is the release date.

The testers have simmed over 700 seasons, and I've simmed over 200 myself. And several million player ratings lifecycles have been modeled with the little VBA program I wrote. So this represents a lot of work by a lot of people.

I am very confident that we have gotten everything out of the player progression that is there.

As always, the readme file will be stupidly long with plenty of stats to compare dynasties at different stages using both the mod and default player progression variables.

I probably won't be back on the boards until Friday because I'll be working on finishing up, but I can answer any questions then (if you have any).

We're almost done. The testers are looking at a version now that is either a release candidate or one version away. It will take several days to do league totals at increments for the test dynasty (at 5,10,15,20,30,40,50,60 seasons), and the readme file is going to take a day because I make them way too detailed.

So with that remaining to be done, it looks like Friday is the release date.

The testers have simmed over 700 seasons, and I've simmed over 200 myself. And several million player ratings lifecycles have been modeled with the little VBA program I wrote. So this represents a lot of work by a lot of people.

I am very confident that we have gotten everything out of the player progression that is there.

As always, the readme file will be stupidly long with plenty of stats to compare dynasties at different stages using both the mod and default player progression variables.

I probably won't be back on the boards until Friday because I'll be working on finishing up, but I can answer any questions then (if you have any).

Sounds amazing (and probably IS) . Thanks Bill and all the testers. Can't wait!

El Doro, the mod is going to change the simulated stats for Season 1 of a Dynasty and then change player progression from spring training of Season 2 onward. It doesn't really matter if you start using it after Season 1--the stats are more accurate with the mod's park factors.

Actually, since it's just park factors, you could probably plug it in at any point during Season 1 with no problems.

It's in the can. I'm working on the readme file and tallying up league totals and age distributions for statistical comparison with real MLB totals and with the default player progression system.

It will take 2-3 hours to finish the readme, but the very short version is that the game is stable out to 50 years (as far out as we tested--I think you could go to 100 with no problem) with a much higher degree of statistical fidelity and better age distributions than the default progression system.

I'm going to try to finish this tonight and not let it slide into Saturday, but if it does, it's just documentation. Like I said, we're finished.

It's in the can. I'm working on the readme file and tallying up league totals and age distributions for statistical comparison with real MLB totals and with the default player progression system.

It will take 2-3 hours to finish the readme, but the very short version is that the game is stable out to 50 years (as far out as we tested--I think you could go to 100 with no problem) with a much higher degree of statistical fidelity and better age distributions than the default progression system.

I'm going to try to finish this tonight and not let it slide into Saturday, but if it does, it's just documentation. Like I said, we're finished.

Your efforts with this have been outstanding, Bill. 2 years worth of work ends in an excellent mod. Well done!

GH

Thanks GH. It's not Total Minors :D , but I'm pretty happy with it.

Sorry, you guys, but I'm not going to finisht the documentation tonight. It's going to take a couple more hours to finish compiling all the statistical comparisons and writng the tutorial, and I'm getting up with my son in the morning (he's 3, so about 6 a.m. is my guess). However, I got a ton of work in today and I should have enough time tomorrow to finish.

The work Bill has done on this mod has been unreal. Last years progression mod was a drastic improvment, this simply blows it out of the water. The amount of time he spent on this was amazing, often releasing two or three versions in a day for people to run through . . . and he stretched the tweaking about as far as the limits of the game mechanics could take it.

Thanks for all the work on this year's version Bill, and we hit your release date of opening day. Great Job to you and everyone who ran sims this year

-Mike

im glad to hear this.

the big problem ive had with the progression so far is the way pitchers have progressed.

Unlike in real life, it seems like all of the pitchers gain a serious amount of velocity (i drafted a bunch of top prospects in a fantasy draft, and by 2009 i have 5-6 guys who throw 100-102 regularly). I dont know if this has anything to do with what work youve done, but really...i think velocity should be left completely alone, and have control be the one variable which is effected most. Movement also should be effected but not THAT much as a pitcher is usually drafted with as much movement on their pitches as they will usually have. Its just a question of gaining command of the pitches.

The work Bill has done on this mod has been unreal. Last years progression mod was a drastic improvment, this simply blows it out of the water. The amount of time he spent on this was amazing, often releasing two or three versions in a day for people to run through . . . and he stretched the tweaking about as far as the limits of the game mechanics could take it.

Thanks for all the work on this year's version Bill, and we hit your release date of opening day. Great Job to you and everyone who ran sims this year

-Mike

Not only was last year's version great, but this year's version will be simply unreplacable, as this may be the last PC baseball game I (and many people here) own for the forseeable future. As such, this mod takes on more weight as an integral one to enjoying the game by the time next year rolls around. Your hard work is very much appreciated, Bill.

poonami, I think I know why that's happening and I believe the mod will fix it, but I haven't tested that. Please let me know if it does.

As far as using the mod on the Xbox, I don't know. I'm playing the PC version only. There's a way to get the file onto the hard drive via sharkport or something, but I don't know how you'd get the game to recognize it and use it appropriately.

Do you recommend I use this mod even though I don't sim games? I am someone who likes to play out all my games in a season. Is this something for me?

It will make the statistics of the simmed games more accurate, and all games are simmed in the league except your own. Plus it improves player progression, which will also affect you.

Bill - ok, that's what I was thinking - had to make sure. Thanks for your input. More importantly, thanks for sharing with everyone what you've done. To me, all this looks VERY complicated, so I'm grateful obviously that people do great work and are willing to share. Thanks.

billharris-

You've gotten way too many of these to count but THANK YOU.

The beautiful stadiums by Pirate and wonderful uniforms by kccitystar add a great feel to the game, but your mod is a godsend for truly serious (anal) gamers. Your work will add levels of enjoyment to my playing that you will never know. This is coming from a grown man. Thanks!

billharris-

You've gotten way too many of these to count but THANK YOU.

The beautiful stadiums by Pirate and wonderful uniforms by kccitystar add a great feel to the game, but your mod is a godsend for truly serious (anal) gamers. Your work will add levels of enjoyment to my playing that you will never know. This is coming from a grown man. Thanks!

That's really nice, bbythepier. Thanks very much.

And I think I've got something working with walks. So I may be able to improve that significantly. Testing now. That's the last piece that would really finish this off.

Archived