System Requirements

RoyalsFan

I just got the game and I installed it. When I run the game, it shows the screen with Roger Clemens, then the screen goes black then white and crashes back to the desktop.

Here's what I have for my system:

Windows ME

800 MHz CPU

126.9 MB RAM

>10x CD drive

>5 GB free space on hard drive

DirectX 9.0c

Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller with 32 MB memory

I think the video card is the problem, but does anyone know if there might be some other problem?

When you crash to desktop, does it still appear in the task bar. Double click on there and it should come back up. However, your graphics card is incompatible. That was the same integrated graphics card my computer had. I had to go out and buy a new video card and now the game looks beautiful, except for the fact that when "helmet reflection" is on, the uniforms are transparent, but as soon as "helmet reflection" is off, it's all taken care of.

Yeah, I've seen that. As I said, my CPU is 800 MHz, which meets the requirement of 800 MHz. My RAM is 128 MB, which meets the requirement of 128 MB. I was asking if my video card was the problem, which according to SoFlaFish it is. Thanks.

RoyalsFan U can get ATI RADEON 7500 video card that willl allow U to run the game ,they are about 30-40 dollars depend if U want pci or agp.

Also is your PC 800 MHz Intel Pentium III, not those (Celeron or athlon) PC? If it is not Pentium than the others 800 mhz are not equal.

But let me get this straight. U just got the game and U should be able to see en-us folder that have a readme.txt that tell U what exactly do u need to get this game running.

RoyalsFan- I have had virtually the same machine as you do for years, and I still used it for playing many of today's newer games, including MVP 2005. If you're not planning on buying a new rig anytime soon, I'd suggest getting a GeForce 4 MX or Radeon 7500 (both are attainable at less than $30 on e-bay), and you will still get decent framerates.

RoyalsFan U can get ATI RADEON 7500 video card that willl allow U to run the game ,they are about 30-40 dollars depend if U want pci or agp.

Also is your PC 800 MHz Intel Pentium III, not those (Celeron or athlon) PC? If it is not Pentium than the others 800 mhz are not equal.

But let me get this straight. U just got the game and U should be able to see en-us folder that have a readme.txt that tell U what exactly do u need to get this game running.

I'd aim a trifle higher on the vid card than a Radeon 7500. That's a DirectX7 card, and you'll really want a DX9 card for this game. This does NOT mean you need the "latest and greatest", but you will want at least (in my opinion) an nVidia FX5700U, or ATi Radeon 9600 Pro. These can be found on eBAY for not much more than the quoted price above, if you're patient. Heck, a new 9600 Pro is around $100 at newegg.com these days.

ATi 7500 = DX7

nVidia GeForce 2/3 = DX7

Ati 8500 = DX8

nVidia Ti 4x00 series/MX4xx series = DX8

You don't really want to handicap yourself, especially when the mods available here are so much better than what is included with the game.

DX9 cards;

nVidia FX5200 and higher

ATi Radeon 9000 and higher

Now...the FX5200 ~> 5600 cards aren't worth the silicon they're made of. My old Ti4200 will outbench (Mad Onion 3D Mark suites) these. The lowest I'd go with nVidia is a FX5700 Ultra.

The ATi low end DX9 cards are better, but again, why get a 9000 Pro for $70, if you can have the much MUCH better 9600 Pro for very little more??

The Radeon 9000, 9200, 9500 would all be adaquate for this game.

The only thing that might throw a monkey wrench into this for you is if your motherboard will support an AGP3 (8x) card or not. If you can only use AGP1 (1x/2x), it won't work, due to voltage differences. Some AGP2 (4x) boards are incompatable too.

I've got a 9600 Pro (128MB video ram) in one system, and a 9800XT (256MB video ram) in my "gaming" rig. Both play MVP '05 extremely well.

One thing that's hurting you hard is system ram. 128MB is very weak. Even for Win9x/ME. Adding system ram will not only help this game, but drastically increase system perfomance in every area.

Case in point; I wrote an upgrade article on my old laptop (Presario 17XL260...P/// 500, 64MB ram) Running WinXP SP1a, increasing system memory from 64 to 256MB cut my boot times from 2+ minutes to 14 seconds.

The reaon I quoted the post I did, is the Intel vs. AMD reference. At 800MHz, this would be fairly equal between a P///, and Athlon. On later models (low end P4 vs AMD XP1500+ and up), this doesn't hold water. Due to differences in architecture between the two processors, the AMD at a lower MHz speed performs better, due to a higher IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) AMD calls it "Quantispeed Architecture"...what it means is it performs more work per CPU clock cycle. To compensate, Intel ramped up clock speeds on their P4 processors, first by introducing the Northwood cored P4, and raising the system bus from 400MHz to 533, then 800MHz. And then, just by raising the overall speed past 3GHz. But I digress... There's nothing wrong, or bad, about an AMD Athlon system, in fact, once you get into the XP1x00+ and above series chips (Thoroughbred and Barton cores), these actually perform better for gaming than their Intel counterparts, at an equal clock speed.

Anywho.... Go for a DirectX9 capable graphics card, if your current motherboard will support one...you'll want the addition speed, and pixel shaders DX9 gives you for this game. Add some ram if you can too.

In all honesty, you can score a recent AMD "Socket A" motherboard (with AGP3.0, dual channel DDR ram support), an XP2100+ (or higher) CPU, and a half gig of PC2100 for a couple hundred bucks, if you know where to look.

Yes, your current video is the main problem, but likely not the only one. Upgrading that alone might not get this game to play the way EA Sports intended.

Good luck...hope this helps. :wink:

Mr B

Forums Admin, www.ocforums.com

Staff Writer, www.overclockers.com

"Learn to Overclock @ overclockers.com"

Archived