2k9 For Dummies

99 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought I would start a question and answer place for those like me who are new to the 2k9 series. Especially if you are making the transition from the MVP series. Let's keep it at just that. Questions and answers. Two days of messing around and I am a bit confused about some things and thought about asking the nice folks from mvpmods.

When I am pitching, (using Classic Pitching), I push button 1 which is the green button on the xbox 360 controller, this yellow circle enlarges. when do I push the green button again for a good pitch. I hope my question makes sense.

I have the same identical question for Total Control Picthing. Thanks in advance for your input.

Posted

For pitching, you want the yellow circle to get as big as possible before you start your 2nd analog move for the pitch. If you time it right, you can get a MAX effort for your pitch. I would assume its the same for button as well. Haven't tried button pitching myself.

*That 2nd analog move... make it as quick as possible.

Posted

Thanks, I will try that.

Posted

Anyone have any tips for Hitting? I'm not used to using the Right Analog stick to swing since I've only played MVP Baseball which used the basic face buttons.

Posted

Anyone have any tips for Hitting? I'm not used to using the Right Analog stick to swing since I've only played MVP Baseball which used the basic face buttons.

It's more of a timing thing, just figuring out the right time to start forward on the RS. If you really don't like it, you can go to the controller setup, hit 4 on your keyboard, and change hitting to classic. That'll give you the MVP style button hitting.

On a fielding note: I figured out you have to hold down the "quick throw" button and move the stick to the bag you want if you're trying to turn double plays. I couldn't figure out why they were slow when I was preloading the throw and letting go fast. I didn't realize another button had to be held.

Posted

Can you just keep the right stick down way before the pitch and then go forward or does it have to be down/up immediatly?

Posted

Good topic, it's been pinned.

Can someone tell me how to activate the full 3-part pitching ala 2k8? I cannot find it for the life of me.

Posted

It's more of a timing thing, just figuring out the right time to start forward on the RS. If you really don't like it, you can go to the controller setup, hit 4 on your keyboard, and change hitting to classic. That'll give you the MVP style button hitting.

On a fielding note: I figured out you have to hold down the "quick throw" button and move the stick to the bag you want if you're trying to turn double plays. I couldn't figure out why they were slow when I was preloading the throw and letting go fast. I didn't realize another button had to be held.

I'm playing the Demo version and I don't think the option to turning hitting to classic mode is available or is it?

Posted

I'm playing the Demo version and I don't think the option to turning hitting to classic mode is available or is it?

Hmm, not sure. I'm playing the retail.

Posted

Go to options...

Controller setup...

Then press 4 on the keyboard.

This allows you guys to edit hitting/pitching controls

Posted

It's best to push the right-stick back when the pitcher's arm goes back (When he's in the T form).

Posted

Is there anyway you can set my fielding to auto, but still throw the ball as we can in MVP?

Posted

I don't think you can set to auto fielding. I cannot find this feature. This is what I was looking for as well. I used have auto fielding in MVP and I did the throwing but I have yet to find it, and I've looked everywhere. If you read the messages at the bottom of every screen, it tells you if there is a hidden menu for that window. I've looked everywhere.

Posted

Good topic, it's been pinned.

Can someone tell me how to activate the full 3-part pitching ala 2k8? I cannot find it for the life of me.

Press 4 on the controller setup to get to the control option screen, and then turn on 'release timing'

Posted

I know this ia PC place..Can anyone tell me how to diable the stupid batters eye on the PS3 version? It is annoying.

Posted

How does the release timing work?

Posted

I'll ask this here since I can not get a reply.

Can audio files be extracted and replaced?

Posted

does anyone know how to edit the pitching delivery for created players?

Posted

does anyone know how to edit the pitching delivery for created players?

You can't, can't edit batting stances either.

Posted

Is anyone having trouble stealing?...I can lead-off no problem, but it's the same button for stealing but I can't seem to get the runner to take off. Is there something i'm missing there?

Posted

Is anyone having trouble stealing?...I can lead-off no problem, but it's the same button for stealing but I can't seem to get the runner to take off. Is there something i'm missing there?

From a Gameplay writeup: http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=823

We also drastically changed the way you steal bases in our game for MLB 2K9. This is one of my personal favorite features because I think it adds a lot more risk to stealing and gives the user full control over their base runner.

Basically, when you have a runner on first base you press LT (L2 on PS3) to take a lead. To steal, hold LT until it vibrates which will indicate that your runner is ready to take off. The runner will now take off when you release the button. Stealing “on the fly” certainly adds a lot of fun to base stealing because now the user is forced to try to get a good jump on the pitcher. If you get a good jump, you will actually take off right before the pitcher starts his delivery and get a perfect steal.

Posted

Has anyone figured out how to cut off a throw in from an outfielder?

Posted

Has anyone figured out how to cut off a throw in from an outfielder?

Button 5 (Left Trigger). It even pops up the icon for ya on the cutoff man.

Posted

Good post over at 2k forums breaking down fielding. Hope it helps those having problems.

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210612

I think this year it's important to understand how the fielding system(especially outfielders) works, which I think works differently than previous years'.

From what I perceived and understand, it works like this:

The ball hits in the air, an indicator will move around a bit as the fielder starts to make a bead for the ball, then settles at a certain spot before the ball lands. The time length between moving icon and settling(seem to lock down abruptly) depends on the fielder's rating and player running toward the icon quickly. Keep in mind, to position the fielder as best as you could around the icon(move him slowly, not sudden jerky type movements). The icon will settle in(it snaps) and move the fielder right on the indicator before the ball drops.

So the moving indicator not only being affected by the wind, but also affected by how well and how soon the fielder can spot the ball. Moving the fielder rapidly from one side to another quickly, can make the fielder lose the sight of the ball, resulting in mishandling or flat out miss the ball completely.

I think it's a fine way to represent how the fielding is done in a video game, maybe a bit erratic. I hope this helps with anyone having trouble fielding the ball, as I have not had any fielding miscues after learning about this.

Posted

Button 5 (Left Trigger). It even pops up the icon for ya on the cutoff man.

Thanks, Maestro!

Posted

Well like countless of others I finally got my Logitech Wireless controller to work. I also plugged in my Logitech gamepad which the game mapped perfectly. I then mapped the settings from that to the wireless controller - I only had to map 1 key and all other mappings were set.

I can now throw pick off throws to 1st - picked Pedroia off twice in 1 game. The trick is hold button 7 opens the pickoff window - push the right joystick to 3 o'clock then to 6 o'clock as soon as the meter fills up. This will make a low throw to 1st base.

Hitting controls activated also - pull stick down to set then up to swing.

Good luck.

Posted

For everyone having problems fielding... I too was incredibly frustrated. When the ball was hit my fielders would be moving in random directions, usually away from the ball, I was giving up 17 runs per game... But I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.

First I got some new sliders which helped (Operation Sports has a great selection to choose from in their forums)

Then I figured out my real problem. When I was pitching I used the left stick for the location of the pitch, but I was holding it there too long. The game was interpreting this as a request to move fielders, so they would be moving whatever direction I was aiming the pitch. Once I tried using the button for locking in the pitch location and letting go of the left stick, suddenly fielding started working in a way that made sense to me. My fielders would begin in the general direction of the ball (though I often had to complete getting them there), and the number of runs I was giving up became much more sensible.

So if you are also frustrated, give this a try and see if it helps. I've now gone from wanting to throw my DVD out the window to thinking that there is hope that this could be a good game after all...

Posted

Some questions guys:

1) How do i lock pitch position when aiming with left stick?

2) In the pitching procedure do i hold the RS for some time for the second move or do it instantly and fast?

Thanks!

Posted

Some questions guys:

2) In the pitching procedure do i hold the RS for some time for the second move or do it instantly and fast?

Thanks!

1. When you start your delivery with the right stick, you can let go of the left stick (it locks your location).

2. It should be almost instantly. For example, For Carlos Zambrano's 2 seam fastball, I have to move the right stick up and imediately swivel to the right. If I do it instantly, I get a full yellow circle amost every time.

Posted

Some questions guys:

Thanks!

1. It depends on your controller, i think it's one of the right triggers by looking at the controls but i have yet to test it. I keep forgetting when i'm in games...

2. You do the first motion and hold it until the yellow circle fills up, and then start your second motion. For max effectiveness on pitches you want the yellow circle to be full.

Posted

How do I activate Batter´s eye (I already tried too press button 4) and Precision pitching? The tut says to activate it at controller options. There´s no in PC

Thanks (more questions to came) :D

Posted

How do I activate Batter´s eye (I already tried too press button 4) and Precision pitching? The tut says to activate it at controller options. There´s no in PC

Thanks (more questions to came) :D

Go to the control setup, and press 4 again. But on your keyboard, not on your controller.

Posted

Thanks for the quick answer. But you cant press on the keyboard if you configure the controller (I have a thrustmaster).

And what about precision pitch? Any tips on not let the pc swing at nearly every pitch? Tryin to get the Lincecum card...

Posted

Thanks for the quick answer. But you cant press on the keyboard if you configure the controller (I have a thrustmaster).

And what about precision pitch? Any tips on not let the pc swing at nearly every pitch? Tryin to get the Lincecum card...

It lets me press it, i use a controller. (Logitech Dual Action)

No tips on pitching, i use sliders to fix that but then you won't get the card when using them...

Posted

Doesnt work for me. Thanks though. Does anybody have a problem of aspect ratio? The whole game looks squeezed compared to NBA 2k9, especially the menus, although I have the same graphic options

Posted (edited)

No squeezing for me.

Have you tried unplugging your controller, and using the mouse or keyboard to go into control options and do what you want? Then when you're done, use your controller again? You'll probably have to restart the game after you plug it back in.

Edited by Wicked420

Posted (edited)

Alright got batting to go, thanks.

Now about release time pitching. I dont understand that thing. If a throw a fastball I push down till the yellow circle expands to the fullest and then I push up up till the yellow circle is inside the green one?

Thanks again

Edited by Mifu

Posted

Couple of questions:

1. What does "got some new sliders" helped a lot mean?

2. What version of pitching am I using? For fastball I pull back(meter fills) and push Forward on my Thumbpad (dual logitech)

Posted

Couple of questions:

1. What does "got some new sliders" helped a lot mean?

2. What version of pitching am I using? For fastball I pull back(meter fills) and push Forward on my Thumbpad (dual logitech)

1. Sliders are an option in the game that you can adjust to change the gameplay. Is that what you wanted to know? I didn't fully understand your question.

2. Total Control

Posted

1. Sliders are an option in the game that you can adjust to change the gameplay. Is that what you wanted to know? I didn't fully understand your question.

2. Total Control

Thanks and sorry if my Slidera question wasn't clear. I get it now "sliders" refers to the game option sliders(duh)

Posted (edited)

For some reason when starting a franchise i cannot select a team with the controller or using the mouse or keyboard so im stuck with the angels, same goes for control setup i cannot toggle off of the batting controls, the arrows won't work, any ideas?

Core2Duo e8400

8800gt

360 controller wiith wireless adapter

vista 32

edit: it was a controller mapping issue, all fixed now

Edited by r3plica

Posted

How do I change players in game? I mean like change my pitcher or use a pinch hitter? When I played just a random game the substitution option was grayed out and would not allow me to make any.

Posted

How do I change players in game? I mean like change my pitcher or use a pinch hitter? When I played just a random game the substitution option was grayed out and would not allow me to make any.

Down on D-pad. Brings up you lineup cards. Button 2 highlights players.

Posted

How exactly do you increase your velocity when pitching? I get 88-92 with CC, 91-94 with Burnett, 94-97 with Zumaya. Im pretty sure they should be higher.

Posted

Hey I have a hardware question for you guys.

For school since I'm going into music I kind of sort of need a Mac because all of their music software and whatnot is Mac compatible.

Anyway, will a standard Macbook White laptop run this game? I've read some stuff and it seems like it might. The thing comes with BootCamp so that I can run the Mac as a PC, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea. Here are the specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics card

320GB

2GB of memory standard, but it will support up to 4 gb

thanks guys

Posted

Down on D-pad. Brings up you lineup cards. Button 2 highlights players.

Thank You Maestro23

Posted

Here are the specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics card 320GB

2GB of memory standard, but it will support up to 4 gb thanks guys

Your video card is good to Go. U should be able to run it decently at the very least.

Posted

Hello all,

Does anyone know how to resign your players to new contracts? I press every button possible on the controller and it either takes me back to the main menu or, it will ask whether I want to release this player. I have a wired 360 controller set up using XBCD+ drivers. Anything will help.

Thank you,

Jay16509

Posted

Hello all,

Does anyone know how to resign your players to new contracts? I press every button possible on the controller and it either takes me back to the main menu or, it will ask whether I want to release this player. I have a wired 360 controller set up using XBCD+ drivers. Anything will help.

Thank you,

Jay16509

Contracts are taken care of in the off-season. Sadly, no in-season contract stuff.

Posted

Your video card is good to Go. U should be able to run it decently at the very least.

Thanks for the insight.

Does anyone out there play this game on a Mac through Boot Camp to confirm that it works alright? Because I'm really not all about getting a Mac lol