Tip For Pitchers

NYM

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy ball toss: Good for strength/speed

I dont believe that this is correct. I read an article by Steve Ellis (http://www.thecompletepitcher.com) and in the article it says for velocity throw with a LIGHTER ball. Yes, a lighter one. Now, this will help becasue it will teach your arm to get through the pitching zone quicker.

I dont believe that this is correct. I read an article by Steve Ellis (http://www.thecompletepitcher.com) and in the article it says for velocity throw with a LIGHTER ball. Yes, a lighter one. Now, this will help becasue it will teach your arm to get through the pitching zone quicker.

Wrong. A lighter ball will hurt your arm. Ever try to throw a wiffle ball as hard as you can? Or try and throw a tennis ball 90 mph. You will hurt your arm doing that. Same thing with a weighted ball. Weighted balls have the same effect as batting donuts. It makes the object feel lighter, and will then have hte same affect as throwing a lighter ball. Throwing long toss will build arm strength and stamina. The best way to gain speed though, is to run, do lots of leg weight lifting and not overbuild muscles in your shoulders.

you are correct my friend, no weight training or long toss

You are wrong my friend. Lifting weights is a vital part of maturing as a baseball player. Look at Roger Clemens. Do you think he would be half as good as he is without lifting weights? No. Long toss is a good excersize for increasing arm strength and stamina and weight lifting is crucial for giving you more explosive power when you throw. Good mechanics are important as well. There is no ONE thing that will make you throw harder but if you long toss, work out(to tone...not to get huge) and if you have good mechanics you will be a stud.

To further prove my point look at: Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, Eric Gagne.

Wrong. A lighter ball will hurt your arm. Ever try to throw a wiffle ball as hard as you can? Or try and throw a tennis ball 90 mph. You will hurt your arm doing that. Same thing with a weighted ball. Weighted balls have the same effect as batting donuts. It makes the object feel lighter, and will then have hte same affect as throwing a lighter ball. Throwing long toss will build arm strength and stamina. The best way to gain speed though, is to run, do lots of leg weight lifting and not overbuild muscles in your shoulders.

Thanks, some people just don't use their heads. :roll: :lol:

To further prove your point about the leg lifting, that's 90% of pitching if you ask me. You'll never throw as well if you don't build up leg strength. Of course arm activities help and you need arm strength but if you spend too much time building up shoulders and conditioning your elbows, you're destined to be a long releiver. You need leg strength, it's half the battle.

You are wrong my friend. Lifting weights is a vital part of maturing as a baseball player. Look at Roger Clemens. Do you think he would be half as good as he is without lifting weights? No. Long toss is a good excersize for increasing arm strength and stamina and weight lifting is crucial for giving you more explosive power when you throw. Good mechanics are important as well. There is no ONE thing that will make you throw harder but if you long toss, work out(to tone...not to get huge) and if you have good mechanics you will be a stud.

To further prove my point look at: Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, Eric Gagne.

weights keep you in shape, nolan ryan was throwing 100 before he ever started lifting weights

I didnt mean to be rude or insulting and I apologize if I was. I already have an "agent" she has basically gotten me tryouts with some good teams. If anyone knows anything about baseball in Kansas City I will be playing some games in the Ban Johnson league. the BJL is basically like the Cape Cod league. A wood bat division for college kids. *Im a senior in HS

dont think that your a stud just because you play in a wood bat league that is *supposively* at cape cod standards...i HIGHLY DOUBT there is good baseball up north in kansas...and drop the whole agent thing, your not fooling anybody...plus if you were a REAL pitcher with AWESOME qualities enough to get drafted, you aren't going to throw 8 different pitches, or however many you had. so dont talk yourself up just cause your on the internet.

weights keep you in shape, nolan ryan was throwing 100 before he ever started lifting weights

just to let you know...nolan ryan had to lift weights behind his trainers back in the beginning of his career..since weight lifting wasn't part of pitcher's off season routine...BUT he was able to throw gas even without lifting..some are gifted to have an explosive arm and not be strong...and i know from experience.

knowing what i know as a college pitcher, if you want to throw harder and have good stamina..here is what you should do:

1. Run a couple of miles a day for stamina

2. Lift weights AT LEAST 5 TIMES A WEEK (doing different muscle groups each day...moderate weights upper body..and if you like to bench NEVER GO PAST 90 DEGREES WITH YOUR ELBOWS..ANYTHING PAST THAT WILL START TO TEAR UP YOUR ROTATOR CUFF...and heavy weights on your legs)

3. Long Toss...here's the thing with long toss, it WILL get your arm into great condition if your doing it correctly (throwing the ball hard and on a line NO RAINBOWS NO MATTER HOW FAR YOUR THROWING). it WILL gain SOME MPH on your fastball but not much...it is mainly used to keep the pitcher's arm in top condition which allows you to throw harder, longer.

4. Explosiveness off the mound using SEPARATION from the upper body from the lower body...almost like hitting...this creats torque..which generats a faster whip action with the arm. think of it as your hips facing home plate while your upper body is still not rotated yet...facing the dugout for instance.

5. SCALPULAR LOADING done correctly will gain 1-3 MPH on your fastball...BUT this is where weights come into play..the stronger your back..the more SCALPULAR LOADING you can get.

There is a bunch more i can list but will take up alot of room...this will just give you the basic insight of some stuff.

Hey viper; Do me a little favor? Don't call someone if you're going to fabricate your own life. Regardless of whether I beleive either of you, this site doesn't need a pissing contest. Both of you just let each others comments go and mvpmodder don't retaliate.

probaseball; Don't contribute to this.

Hey viper; Do me a little favor? Don't call someone if you're going to fabricate your own life. Regardless of whether I beleive either of you, this site doesn't need a [naughty word] contest. Both of you just let each others comments go and mvpmodder don't retaliate.

probaseball; Don't contribute to this.

just to let you know i wasn't referring to myself...i was talking about my friend

dont think that your a stud just because you play in a wood bat league that is *supposively* at cape cod standards...i HIGHLY DOUBT there is good baseball up north in kansas

HAHA...that just shows your ignorance.

drop the whole agent thing, your not fooling anybody

Agent was in quote marks for a reason. She isn't a real agent. She is the wife of my pitching coach and they happen to have many contacts with scouts etc. She gets me tryouts.

plus if you were a REAL pitcher with AWESOME qualities enough to get drafted, you aren't going to throw 8 different pitches, or however many you had

So it is completely impossible for a pitcher to throw: fastball, change, knucklecurve, curve, and a splitter? And different variations on each? You my friend are not only a cynic...but you are also a DUMB one.

so dont talk yourself up just cause your on the internet

You wanna step into the box against me? A grand says I sit you down in no more than 4 pitches.

Just because you pitch in college doesnt make you a stud. If you were worth a damn as a pitcher you would already be in the minors. You made some valid points in ur last post (the only one that was worth reading) and there is no reason for you to act like a jackass. If you don't believe that I pitch in the BJL then don't believe me. But PM me and "call me out". Dont post your stupid BS on here.

Assclown.

i have found that lately i have been pitching rather a bit out of control...and i want to find a way to get my curveball back into shape...when i had my curveball rolling i pitched a perfect game..i dislocated my shoulder on my glove arm (right hand) and i suddenly lost my trick on my curve..can anyone help me? im a 4 pitch guy... 2 seam, 4 seam, curve, changeup..if you guys cud help me id greatly appreciate..give me tips..since i am a pitcher

My questions are; are you hitting your arm slot and are you releasing at the right point. Sounds like a mechanics problem. Some practice should help. Just make sure you hit your arm slot, or find it if that's what your problem is. At the release point is a big problem as well. If you release too soon, it flies up stairs, and if you release too late it's going downwards. Just keep practicing. Arm slot is the whole deal, if you don't hit your slot, the pitch won't do or go were you want.

im missing up high..and sometimes down on the dirt...lately ive been inconsistent with that pitch

You miss in the dirt because you are TRYING to make it break. Just throw it and the ball will break on its own.

You miss high because you are getting under the ball and not pulling down off of the seam.

Make sure you are pulling back and down with your glove, that will keep you on top of the ball.

Archived