Tip For Pitchers

NYM

Hi fellow pitchers,

Here's some thoughts and some tidbits I picked up from coaches or on personal experiences throughout my baseball life (21 years of baseball and I'm only 27).

You may agree or disagree, which I have no problem with. Everyone, including you and myself, has an opinion on this subject.

(By the way, I was a RP pitcher in college - Division 2) Note: I'll admit I was alright, I walked on to the team. Barely pitched, due to injuries. I think I got into like 4 games throughout my college career.

1. Long toss helps w/ arm stamina (the ability to throw more pitches at the same speed for a longer period of time) Perfect example is Bartolo Colon, he can still hit 96-98 MPH on the radar gun in the 9th inning.

2. Throw a heavier ball will help with speed (not much, I would say a couple MPHs). But what sounds nicer? 88 MPH or 91 MPH? Throwing a heavier ball also helps with stamina.

Note: Tom House (Texas Rangers coach from the '80s) (I think it was the Rangers) My coach used alot of his techniques from his book (like throwing a football before throwing a baseball) I wasn't sure why, but it worked for me, I found my pitch speed was just a "little" bit harder. And I don't throw fast (again, due to injuries)

2a. A lighter ball will cause more injuries because of more stress/tourque on the arm (I was injured as a little kid due to throwing tennis balls, etc) My doctor, who specialized in athletics, said this is common at young age.

3. As a teenager, mainly throw fastball and changeups (same motion, less stress than throwing curves, etc). But I did throw curves and a sinker, which is why I had arm problems then.

Curveball/slider, etc cause more stress on elbow and there fore more potential for damage, especially at a young age, where your body is still developing.

Again, personal experience, my elbow began hurting throwing curves alot as a 15 year old. Ending up w/ some ligament damage and elbow tendonitis. (I had great mechanics, so I know it wasn't that)

I've heard and read this from many places throughout my life.

4. Do alot of running. I used to run 2 miles a day. Running builds a good base in the lower body, which provides the power in your pitches. (Think Clemens, who got Pettitte on this regimen. This is why he still pitches great at such an advanced age - turned 43 yesterday) Mix in weights as desired. (I personally wasn't into weights, but if added it can be quite a supplement to running, especially for pitchers.)

5. And stay of the 'roids (just had to add a little humor)

I hope this helps some pitchers out there. Again, you may agree or disagree, which I have no problem with. Everyone, including myself has an opinion.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

A

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lately ive felt that im uncomfortable in my pitching motion...and tips on a motion that might help me get the ball on the right slot and realease point?

Simple is better. Dont do anything confusing or goofy and don't try to be the D-Train. Mechanically, look at guys like Clemens or Mussina. Clemens probably has the best mechanics of any pitcher in the bigs right now. Make sure to keep your weight back when you hit your balance point(knee going up) and break straight ahead. Pull your glove back and down to get on top of the ball and try to finish across your knee. Make sure not to drag your back foot...think of it as attached to your arm by a string. When one moves so does the other.

ok, i'm trying to be a pitcher, and am pondering two different theorys, which is true. The harder you throw a curve/ breaking ball, the better the break, or the softer you throw them, the more the break. Also, how do you hold/throw a cutter, because my 4seam is junk, and my 2seam is hit or miss

:wall:

The harder you throw a curve/ breaking ball, the better the break,

The SHARPER the break. It wont break as big but it will break quicker.

hold/throw a cutter,

Hold it with your curveball grip(assuming you throw a regular hook) but throw it like a fastball.

my 4seam is junk, and my 2seam is hit or miss

Your fastball is your foundation. Stop messing around w/ other pitches until you can consistently throw your gas.

I started out on the basics ...

4-seam: Good hard pitch and accurate

Changeup: Slow and pulling back helps a lot

Slider: Lower slot than your other pitches, sharper cut across the plate

Curve: No matter what, directly overhand slot was it for me
That opened the door to my current variety ...
4-seam: Hard and rises if released right, rarely

Slider: Better than ever, thrown from 3-quarters

3-Finger change: My creation, pulled back and I thrown hard, I still lose almost 20 MPH

Eephus Slurve: Not quite a curve, not quite a slider, heavy dip with a quick cut at the end

I find creations work just as good as regular standard pitches. Messing around a lot also works. But your basics to begin with, before you learn anything else, should be 4-seam, change, slide, curve, in my opinion.

before you learn anything else, should be 4-seam, change, slide, curve, in my opinion

Anyone younger than 16 shouldn't be throwing many curveballs and anyone younger than 18 shouldn't be throwing sliders. It puts so much stress on your arm and can really screw you up.

I started with variations on the fastball and changeup. I throw 4 seam, 2 seam across the seams and a 2 seamer with the seams. My changeup was the star change, palmball and straight change.

Then I learned the knucklecurve(thrown like a fastball)

This year I have developed a regular curve and a splitter.

I find creations work just as good as regular standard pitches

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm sure its been tried by someone. The reason certain pitches are mainstream is because they are the most effective for hte most people.

I say keep it simple.

I throw from best pitch to worst....

splitter

2-seam

knl crv

4 seam

c-change

knuckle

I have quite a handful, and it keeps people who haven't seen me pitch a little off. I dont throw a curve that well though, my arm just wont let me. i dunno.

What I mean by creations over standard pitches are the standard pitches are like 4-seam, 2-seam, cutter, splitter, curve, slider, sinker, change, circle change, knuckleball whereas the creation pitches I know of are knucklecurve, slurve, palmball, three finger change, eephus pitches (curve or change) and others. The reason I say they're better is because batters young and old don't know what the hell they are. I've noticed watching games with Mussina and Burnett in them, no matter how bad they might be doing, the knucklecurve still fools guys. Foulke's palmball once was dominant but when he put a signature motion on it, it was too easy to pick out. Matt Clement's slurve is still dominant no matter if he's given up five or six runs. He can still fall back on the slurve to get an out. El Duque and Takatsu's eephus pitches make hitters look stupid at the plate. I've never seen an actual major league pitcher throw the three finger change, but I do and I think it works wonders. Get's me out of jams because of how slow it actual goes, and for that matter, how slow it actually looks since you pull back on it like a string.

My point is your fastball is your gateway pitch, but if you don't have a good one, don't worry about it. You still have to throw it for variation but you don't have to throw as much as someone who has a good one. Your 4-seam will always be there, no matter what, but the pitches you derive, won't if you don't practice them. As soon as you get the okay to throw breaking stuff, do it. I started early and my arm slots have never been the same. When I was fifteen, I threw a curveball because I had nothing else to fool batters with. I'm 18 now and my breaking stuff isn't as good as it could be. It's still not bad because I stopped early but it's going to take practice to get it back together.

Development, control, and mechanics are only half the set to be a good pitcher. Natural skill and mentality are the other half. Practice your pitches, make sure they look like you want them to. Then you learn the zone and learn what you can and can't get away with. Not every pitch has to be in the zone, but if you're facing a batter with a good eye, you have to get as close as possible. Than your mechanics are a big key. You have to have your release spots known and your arm slots need to be hit in order to get the pitch where you want. Learning what you can throw is another problem you have to face. You may want to throw a pitch your arm can't handle. Don't force it. You're just going to screw up your arm and you'll never be able to pitch, period. Lastly is keep a good head. Don't lose your mind when you're in trouble or when you're making a start. Relax and don't think the worst.

That's all I can really offer from a mildly successful pitcher in high school. Somebody may have better ideas but that's what is getting me places when I'm pitching.

Archived