Baseball%20Tonight%20Logo.gif

Game of the Day, April 6th

kurkjian_tim_fpo.gif

krukatcell.JPG

A Long Shot of a Comeback

gamecws03bt9zo.png

Above: Paul Konerko greets Scott Podsednik after his walk off Home Run

Tim Kurkjian:

Kevin Millwood steps to the mound for the 0-2 Cleveland Indians, and gets through the first inning 1-2-3. The second is not so easy, Frank Thomas gets a single up the middle, and then with 2 outs, Juan Uribe crushes a 2 run homer to Center, his 2nd on the early season. In the 3rd, Aaron Rowand tees off, and knocks out a Millwood pitch into outfield seats, his first on the day. In the fifth, Coco Crisp comes up with an RBI single to put Cleveland on the board, but in the bottom of the inning, Aaron Rowand hits his second solo homer of the game, making it 4-1 Sox. In the seventh, the Indians climb thier way back, Ron Belliard walks to lead off the inning, followed by a Jhonny Peralta double. Jason Dubois grounds out to second but Belliard is able to score, it is now a 4-2 game. With 2 outs, Grady Sizemore takes Jose Contreras out of the park to left center and the Indians tie the game up at 4. On the next pitch, trainers come out on the field, and Jose Contreras comes out of the game, according to reports with an inflamed right elbow. Neal Cotts enters the game in relief, and in the 8th inning, gives up a solo homer to Victor Martinez, putting the Indians on top, 5-4. In the bottom of the 9th, Eric Wedge calls in his closer, Bob Wickman. The first batter is sheduled to be Ben Davis, but Ozzie Guillen pinch hits, calling for rookie Jerry Owens for his first major leauge at bat. On a 2-1 count, Wickman leaves a slider on the inside corner and Owens crushes the pitch out to the right field seats, Tying the game up at 5. And as if it couldn't get any worse for Wickman, the first pitch to the next batter is taken deep to left center by Scott Podsednik, and it's gone. A walk off home run for Scott Podsednik, and the White Sox win, 6-5, while completing thier opening series sweep of Cleveland.

Thanks for the comments guys, I have the first 2 games played in the Detroit series, and I am about to play game 3. I will have the game reports up tomarrow morning, and then post the weekly roundup with leauge transactions, injuries, and my team stats so far, I hope all of the followers are enjoying

This is a really sweet looking dynasty. It's really cool to see all the Baseball Tonight and ESPN stuff included in your game recaps and stuff like that. Also cool to see that you have kept the real Cleveland ballclub instead of trading like crazy at the beginning of the season. Maybe you'll make some moves later on, but for now, I like the fact that you haven't done anything drastic yet. Keep it up.

To add the national media flavor in the mix, I will be using the Baseball Tonight setup for games with the importance of 5 or above, and the FSN one which I am going to make for 4 and below

Saaaweet!

Around the Leauge, April 7th

kurkjian_tim_fpo.gif

krukatcell.JPG

Breaking out

gamedet01bt3rj.png

Above: Coco Crisp makes a web gem during the 6th inning of last nights game

Tim Kurkjian:

On Friday night the Indians are in Detroit to take on the Tigers. In an early pitchers duel, Wilfredo Ledezma sends down the Indians 1-2-3 in the 2nd. In the top of the 4th, bases are loaded with 2 outs for Juan Gonzalez, he grounds out. In the 5th, Coco Crisp steals second, and on the next pitch Ron Belliard gets him in with an RBI single, the Indians take the lead. 2 batters later, Casey Blake hits it in the gap in right center and he moters around turning it into an RBI triple, followed by a Ben Broussard RBI single, 3-1 Cleveland after 5. In the top of the 6th, Ledezma continues to struggle, first up is Jose Hernandez who hits one deep into the LF seats, his second on the year. Next inning, Peralta and Blake are on with singles, Ben Broussard hits another RBI single, followed by a Travis Hafner sac fly, 6-1 Indians. Cliff Lee gives up another run in the bottom of 7th when Carlos Pena hits a solo homer out to right. The Indians take a blow in the top of the 8th, Juan Gonzalez leads off with a double, and a few batters later Coco Crisp hits an RBI double off the wall, but Gonzalez comes up limping on the way home, he would come out of the game. In the bottom of the Inning, Magglio Ordonez hits an RBI single to score Brandon Inge which makes it a 7-3 game. Bob Wickman closes it out for the Tribe, and they get thier first win of the season, moving to 1-3

Juan Gonzalez Injured

kurkjian_tim_fpo.gif

krukatcell.JPG

Veteran sidelined with Torn Knee Meniscus

ph_114932.jpg

Tim Kurkjian:

Cleveland Inians OF/DH Juan Gonzalez was injured in the 8th inning Saturday night, shortly after he left the game to be evaluated by doctors, the Indians found out that he had torn a ligament in his knee and that he would be out for about 2 months. Eric Wedge said after the game, "We will miss Juan for the time he will be out, but the team doctors tell me he will be able to return probualy late next month." The Indians placed Gonzalez on the 60 day DL and called up Ryan Ludwick from AAA Buffalo to take his spot.

Not a big deal that Juan-Gone will be out for a while; he's just an old veteran taking up a spot on the team for a young guy to get some playing time (that's just my opinion of course). Nice job on getting the win against the Tigers.

Indians Postgame Show

With Mike Hegan and Rick Manning

ray_manning.jpg

Coco Calls the Shots

gamedet02fsn6xt.png

Coco Crisp steps on home plate after his 8th inning game winning home run

Rick Manning:Not much offense to speak of today, but the Indians found a way to come out on top 2-1. Coco Crisp and Jose Hernandez both hit solo home runs. Scott Elarton picked up his first win, and now to Mike Hegan with the game summary

Mike Hegan: Thanks Rick, Mike Maroth and Scott Elarton both cruised through the first 3 innings on this hot Saturday afternoon. In the 4th, Dimitri Young was able to hit a Scott Elarton mistake pitch the other way for a solo home run which gave the Tigers the 1-0 lead. In the top of the 5th, Jose Hernandez lead off hitting a solo homer to left field that still hasn't landed, a distance of 472 ft. It was his third on the year, he is off to a very fast start. The bats continued to stay quiet until the top of the 8th when Coco Crisp ended Mike Maroth's outing with an opposite field solo home run, his first of the season. The Indians took a 2-1 lead while Bob Howry pitched a 1-2-3 8th followed by a Bob Wickman 1-2-3 9th, giving him his first save of the year. The Indians improved to 2-3 and the Tigers fell to 3-2. Catch me on Tribe Time tomarrow at 12:30, have a nice afternoon, I'm Mike Hegan, and I'm out.

Indians Postgame Show

With Mike Hegan and Rick Manning

ray_manning.jpg

Pudged

gamedet03fsn1tj.png

Casey Blake slides in to score on a Ron Belliard sac fly in the 2nd

Rick Manning: Today was a tough loss for the Tribe, a game which looked like the Indians had in thier hands until the Tigers caught fire in the 6th and 7th. On the bright side, Casey Blake went 4-4 and had another great game. Ivan 'Pudge' Rodriguez hit a 2 run HR in the 8th to seal it up for the Tigers. A tough loss for the Indians today as Ron Belliard came up injured after diving for a ball in the 4th. Here is Mike Hegan to take you through todays game.

Mike Hegan: Thanks rick, The game started out in the bottom of the first with Brandon Inge getting a leadoff double, but Jake Westbrook was able to get things under control and get out of the jam. In the 2nd, the Indians got on the board from a Casey Blake leadoff triple to right center followed by a Ron Belliard sac fly. In the 4th the Indians took a blow when Ronnie Belliard dove for a groud ball and injured his leg, we will keep you updated on his status. In the 6th, Craig Monroe reached base on a Jose Hernandez error, and then Brandon Inge smacked a 2 run HR to left, 2-1 Tigers. In the 7th, a crazy play occured where Casey Blake hit a ball down the 1st base line and as Magglio Ordonez attempted to field the grounder, he slipped and the ball went past him to the wall. Blake was awarded a tripe on the scorecard, but was able to reach home for an rare inside the park homer. The bottom of the inning as not so fun for Jake Westbrook and the Indians. Ivan Rodriguez lead off with a double, after that Eric Wedge pulled the hook and called in Arthur Rhodes from the bullpen. Dimitri Young hit a RBI single off of Rhodes to make it 3-2 Tigers, followed by a Nook Logan RBI triple to right center. it was 4-2 Detrot going into the 8th when Pudge Rodriguez hit a 2 run HR off of David Riske, making it a 6-2 Detroit lead going into the 9th. Jhonny Peralta hit a RBI single in the 9th off of Troy Percival, but it was not enough, the Tigers prevailed 6-3. Jake Westbrook picked up his second loss of the year, falling to 0-2. The next series is the home opener at Jacobs Field, a 3 game series against the White Sox. Have a nice Sunday afternoon, I'm Mike Hegan, and I'm out.

Ron Belliard Injured

kurkjian_tim_fpo.gif

krukatcell.JPG

2nd Baseman sidelined with Minor MCL Sprain

ph_150071.jpg

Tim Kurkjian:

Cleveland Indians 2nd Baseman Ronnie Belliard was injured diving for a ground ball on Saturday. Doctors say it is a Minor MCL Sprain, he will have to sit for up to 2 weeks and the Indians have placed him on the 15 day DL. Cleveland has called up infielder Brandon Phillips to take his spot on the roster. Phillips and Ramon Vazquez will now platoon the 2B position for Cleveland.

Archived