*REAL* update to Forbes Field

paulw

The last "update" to Forbes that dummy :? here posted was the same as the original file - not the updated one. Sorry. If you're at all interested in Forbes or liked the original the update is now available. The update includes the Carnegie Mellon tower, gates in right center to Schenley Park and the Heinz chapel located by the Cathedral of Learning. Nothing major. Just a bit of a facelift.

Here's a couple of pics:

Gates and CM tower

forb4.jpg

Heinz Chapel

forb5.jpg

Thanks very much for the compliments but I think it's the subject - not the artist - that deserves the praise (It's kind of like you couldn't really take a bad photograph of Brittany Spears).

Forbes was a somewhat unknown gem among the old time ballparks. It just didn't get the exposure because unlike the "classic" Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox the Pirates generally sucked.

Forbes had a wonderful asymetric design, the ivy of Wrigley Field, and a setting that couldn't be beat with Schenley Park and the Oakland neighbord of Pittsburgh. Here's some unpublished Forbe's pics I got a hold of including one of my favorite old time shots ever.

f56_dugout.jpg

Opening day 1956 looking at the Dodger's dugout. That's Carl Furillo 6, Walter Alston in the foreground and Jackie Robinson sitting on the dugout steps. Note the old version of the scoreboard.

f_right.jpg

The screen fronting the right field stands, the gates to Schenley Park and Roberto Clemente.

f_allstar.jpg

The familiar left field corner with the Carnegie building in the back taken after the 1959 all-star game. The black color of the Carnegie was soot and smoke. It's all cleaned off now and a much lighter color.

Archived