Installation question regarding gfxpak

aukevin

When I was installing TC4, I got two or three errors during it saying that gfxpak had a critical error and closed. Now my installation continued and I've played a few games and everything seems fine. Are these errors something that I should be concerned about, is it normal? Thanks a lot, I have a blast playing these games.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Total Classics.

My guess would be that there was some issue installing a CTS screen or some of the classic stadium preview screens. If everything else seems to be working fine, you should be all set.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Total Classics.

My guess would be that there was some issue installing a CTS screen or some of the classic stadium preview screens. If everything else seems to be working fine, you should be all set.

Thanks for responding. Yes I really like it. Played it all night. :)

• 2 weeks later...

When I updated to TC5 I got the gfxpak errors as well. I guess it is having a problem when installing the CTS screens and stuff because I still have the Manny CTS. Was the Main Menu suppose to change any with TC5 or does it stay with the Manny pics?

Also, did the installer extract the different CTS options for the mod somewhere so I can install them manually? If not, can I download the ones I want somewhere? I wonder if there is something else I am missing because of this gfxpak issue?

When I updated to TC5 I got the gfxpak errors as well. I guess it is having a problem when installing the CTS screens and stuff because I still have the Manny CTS. Was the Main Menu suppose to change any with TC5 or does it stay with the Manny pics?

Also, did the installer extract the different CTS options for the mod somewhere so I can install them manually? If not, can I download the ones I want somewhere? I wonder if there is something else I am missing because of this gfxpak issue?

The CTS screen is installed separately from the rest of TC4 or TC5. Bring up the TC5 installer and locate your MVP2005 folder. Next, click on the CTS Select Options tab at the top of the installer screen. Select the CTS screen that you want and then click on the "Install Selected CTS Screen!" button. Restart the game and the new CTS screen should appear.

If it does not work, it's possible that the file where the CTS screen is installed is set as read-only. The other gfxpak errors might also be caused by files being set to read-only.

The CTS screen is installed separately from the rest of TC4 or TC5. Bring up the TC5 installer and locate your MVP2005 folder. Next, click on the CTS Select Options tab at the top of the installer screen. Select the CTS screen that you want and then click on the "Install Selected CTS Screen!" button. Restart the game and the new CTS screen should appear.

If it does not work, it's possible that the file where the CTS screen is installed is set as read-only. The other gfxpak errors might also be caused by files being set to read-only.

I tried that when I noticed that I didn't have the CTS screen, but I get the gfxpak error when I press the button to install the CTS just like it does when I am installing TC4 or 5.

Tonight I will click on my TC5 install folder and check everything to Read Only in case it isn't already that way and see what happens. To make my Total Classics folder, I just copied and pasted my normal MVP 05 directory and renamed it to Total Classics. Then I pointed the TC5 installer to that new directory. Isn't that the correct process if you are running out of separate folders?

Thanks, I'll check on that read only thing tonight.

[quote="Jim825

Well, unfortunately, after making sure the files weren't read only, I still couldn't apply the CTS screen from the TC5 installer. I get the gfxpak error again. Is there anyway I can get access to the different CTS screens from the installer if I can't use the TC5 installer to put them in?

Also, is there any other menus I might be missing or is the Main Menu suppose to still be Manny? I do have the TC loading screens which are real cool! :)

No big deal but I do find the second option (without the hand drawings) easier to read.

That's probably because you are using a lower screen graphic resolution. Try upping the game to play at 1280x1024 & you will find that graphic much easier to read.

Well, unfortunately, after making sure the files weren't read only, I still couldn't apply the CTS screen from the TC5 installer. I get the gfxpak error again. Is there anyway I can get access to the different CTS screens from the installer if I can't use the TC5 installer to put them in?

Also, is there any other menus I might be missing or is the Main Menu suppose to still be Manny? I do have the TC loading screens which are real cool! :)

I'm happy to say I found a solution to this problem. I tried installing TC5 on 2 different machines & had the same problems as you. So then I started experimenting with using different versions of gfxpak. After several failed attempts I finally found one that worked.

Download the 2004 Indians uni update I've linked below:

http://mvpmods.com/index.php?name=Download...=details&id=748

Overwrite the gfxpak.exe file that was included in the TC5 download with the one provided in this uniform update. This gfxpak.exe file is dated 2002, but it works perfectly -- I was able to complete the TC5 installation with zero errors, and now I have both the CTS and main menu screens.

I'm happy to say I found a solution to this problem. I tried installing TC5 on 2 different machines & had the same problems as you. So then I started experimenting with using different versions of gfxpak. After several failed attempts I finally found one that worked.

Download the 2004 Indians uni update I've linked below:

http://mvpmods.com/index.php?name=Download...=details&id=748

Overwrite the gfxpak.exe file that was included in the TC5 download with the one provided in this uniform update. This gfxpak.exe file is dated 2002, but it works perfectly -- I was able to complete the TC5 installation with zero errors, and now I have both the CTS and main menu screens.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. By the way, what OS are you using? I'll be doing this on Win XP with service pack 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Win XP Pro with SP2

I tried running that gfxpak, but I still get the error. It isn't just for Total Classics, it's for anytime I use gfxpak. I'm trying to install some cyberfaces and I get the problem too. This stinks! Thanks for the help though Chief!

I tried running that gfxpak, but I still get the error. It isn't just for Total Classics, it's for anytime I use gfxpak. I'm trying to install some cyberfaces and I get the problem too. This stinks! Thanks for the help though Chief!

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but do you have more than 3000 files in your files (such as the models.big or portrait.big) you are installing this program to? If you do, that's why you are getting a gfxpak error. It's a bug in GFXpak.

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but do you have more than 3000 files in your files (such as the models.big or portrait.big) you are installing this program to? If you do, that's why you are getting a gfxpak error. It's a bug in GFXpak.

Maybe I do, I really don't know.

For the gfxpak error when I am installing TC5, it is just the default stuff that comes from installing MVP and then installing TC5.

For the gfxpak error when I am trying to put a cyberface in my normal MVP 05 (with the 06 mod), I have your "Big Shmooz Umachines uniforms Models.big." Is that file too big? Is that why I can't get any of the cyberfaces to load? I have tried with both BigGUI and using the gfxpak method. The BigGUI way seems to have no errors, but it just doesn't work. When I start the game, the default faces are still on the players. When I attempt to use gfxpak, I get the error.

Can you tell what my problem is? All I'm trying to do is put in cyberfaces for Adam LaRoche, Ryan Langerhans, and Jeff Francoeur (all available in the downloads section) with my standard MVP files, and I can't get the CTS screens and whatever else to work in TC5 because of the gfxpak error. Thanks!

big shmooz,

I see from in the readme file you provided with your UMachines uniform update that you say all the cyberface spots are filled. But you also state that you have all the faces from at least March 6th, so wouldn't the three I'm interested in be part of that? I don't understand why they aren't in my game if that's the case.

Archived