Building a new system - Suggestions???

RaptorQuiz

Hey all. I'm building a new system. I am quite familiar with the process (I built my last two systems), but have been "out of it" for a while, and have completely lost track of what's currently considered the best or the best-value.

So, basically, I was looking for help/suggestions for pretty much everything.

I generally use PriceWatch.com (and NewEgg.com) for ordering my equipment...

So basically I am starting from the ground up. Any suggestions on any of the following would be greatly appreciated:

1. Case / Power supply

2. Motherboard / CPU combo (hopefully with onboard ethernet)

3. RAM

4. Hard Drive

5. DVD-Writer

6. Graphics Card (obviously very important, since I'm a gamer)

7. Any other nifty crap people might suggest

I'm not neccessarily looking to go top-of-the-line, but more just to build the best "near-top-of-the-line" machine for the best values. Sort of like I did with my last machine (the one I'm using now):

1. Antec KS282 with 300w power supply

2. ECS K7S5A w/ AMD Athalon XP 1800+

3. 1 GB of Kingston DDR (2x 512mb sticks)

4. 3 different hard drives at this point

5. Samsung DVD-rom and some generic 52x cd-writer

6. GeForce 6200 w/ 256mb DDR (eVGA brand)

SO - that's my current system right there... I'd REALLY appreciate some help from any of the resident gurus 'round here about building my new one (Kraw, Pirate, etc) - since I greatly respect the work you guys do, so I assume you're at least more up-to-date than I am in these areas these days.

But anyway, thanks!

Invest in a good power supply. I can't stress that enough. It'll save you lots of headaches later on. Antec is good but 300W probably won't be good enough for the newer video cards and all the additional drives you're going to install. If you want to be safe, shoot for at least 400W, probably 450W or even 550W. I don't have the link handy but I'm sure you can find it through Google--it's a power supply calculator where you input all your components and it'll recommend you a wattage for your power supply.

As far as your system goes, everything looks pretty good. I'm not really sure if your CPU will bottleneck the video card, but I don't think it will be much of a concern. It seems like a fairly solid system, especially for MVP, but if anything I might consider upgrading the CPU if you were to do any heavier gaming.

Edit: And I may be wrong, but the best bang-for-your-buck video card is probably the 6600GT. And make sure the 6200 you get isn't the 64-bit version or you might be a little disappointed. If it is the 64-bit version you might be better off with something else.

Invest in a good power supply.

Here's a good deal for $49.99 after $12 rebate: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=273503

Hurry though...you've got till the 13th to purchase it if you want to qualify for the rebate.

And yeah, waiting is always a good thing...especially if you're looking for best value. But then again, there is always the wait six more months for new technology factor...there's ALWAYS something better around the corner.

And yeah, waiting is always a good thing...especially if you're looking for best value. But then again, there is always the wait six more months for new technology factor...there's ALWAYS something better around the corner.

I agree. If you keep waiting for the next newest thing, you'll just be waiting forever. I always told people (when I still sold computers for a living) to pick a dollar amount and just spend it - that's the only way to go since something new is ALWAYS "about to come out." lol.

With newer technology coming soon, I suggest you don't invest in a new PC just yet. Give it around october or around that time to start the building process.

Are you referring to anything specific, or just in-general? Cuz, as I said above, I'm not really looking to go top of the line, just the upper edge of what has become mid-ranged. lol. Of course, if something new is about to come out, what is top-of-the-line right now is about to BECOME upper-mid-ranged...

Also if you plan on upgrading to Vista anytime soon, save some moola for a video card with DX10.

...and, uh... I have NO IDEA what Vista or DX10 is... lol. Like I said - it's been a while since I did any real research into hardware.

Vista aka Longhorn. It's Microsofts next version of windows.

Ahhh lordy. I'm usually scared to upgrade to the newest Windows for like 100 years or so after it comes out. lol. This system I'm using now (the one I build right before I graduated college 3 yrs ago) is the first one I ever used XP on... and it took having to reformat my C: drive before I finally gave in. lol.

I fear change. Well - no - not change. I fear new Microsoft products.

Archived