Tinkering with K's

kgbaseball

Since so many people are having problems striking the computer out, would playing with the MVPEdit categories such as "Chase vs. L" and "Miss Slow Break vs. R" make a big difference? The only thing about it is it could make strikeouts for hitters and pitchers for non-user controlled teams skyrocket when looking at the stats. Any ideas?

I thought I was the only one who had a lack of K's in the game....

I play CPU vs CPU coach only mode...so I get only 3 to 4 k's by top strikeout guys (Ryan-Kofax).....

MVP edit has a global settings but I don't understand what the (-= ><) and all that means ..if you find out how I may get more strikeouts please drop me a note....

Yes, this has been an area that if ANYone has any more input

that may help please feel free to suggest. Guys like NRyan should

get 10-12 k's in a game. Of course the pc 'contact' rating can be adjusted. But, what I think we are looking for is the 'strikeout' P's themselves

to be enhanced

It's a double edged sword when dealing with the sliders. Decrease contact, and they never get a hit. Decrease swing frequency, they never chase out of the strikezone. Possibly messing with MVPEdit numbers could lead to non strikeout pitchers getting a ton of K's. <sigh>

I'm not being arrogant here, but I'm okay with strikeouts. Even on MVP level, I had Jeremy Bonderman get me 7K's in 7.2 innings against the Twins the other night.

Also, running another exhibition on MVP, I got Daniel Cabrera of the O's to get 5 K's in a bit over 6 innings against the lowely Tampa Bay D-Rays.

I'm not saying this to be arrogant or anything like that. As for my settings, I've been playing Exhibitions on the out-of-the-box beta release of the MLB:06 mod.

In a semi-related note, I never walk anyone! Never - which is just not realistic at all. :evil: It's not because players chase but rather because all of my pitchers have pinpoint control. That's the slider I'm attacking first.

Usually I'm ok with not walking anyone; the cpu gets its fair share of hits without me walking people on top of that. I, like you, have been just playing Exhibition until the full 06 version comes out. I got 6 K's today by Jason Schmidt in a complete game shutout of the Phillies. I've been tinkering with whatever I could, and I'm getting closer to reality.

First I agree that at times strikeouts are a problem and depending on what level your playing on, specifically MVP, it can be a real pain. Patience, practice, smart pitching, and relying on your pitcher's strikeout pitch are the first key to overcoming these problems. Tweaking the sliders can only help you so much, knowing the hitter you're facing and the pitcher's strengths and weaknesses is the real key if you ask me. Then you need to find a setting that works best foy you in the cpu contact and the slider that controls cpu chasing pitches.

As far as strikeout totals you shouldn't expect any pitcher to get 10 every game. I've seen people throwing out Ryan's name and what not. He had 215 games started out of 713 games started where he had 10+ K's. There have only been a few starting pitcher's in the history of MLB that have averaged more than 1 strikeout per inning over the course of their career. Ryan -9.55, Koufax - 9.28 and Randy Johnson - 10.95, this is with pitcher of 1500 or more IP. For example by the end of last year Roger Clemens was only averaging around 6.9 per 9 innings for his career.

What we really need is to find a balance where you have good days and bad days. In Ryan's 215 games with 10+ K's, they were all over the board some with only 10 and many higher than 10, but in general it was only about 1 in every 3.5 games that he reached the 10 K barrier.

I'm not criticing anyone for anything they've said, just trying to give a little perspective, because it seems like people think they should be averaging 9-12 K's a game with their starting pitchers. Remember only a few Starting pitchers in the HISTORY of the game that have pitched 1500 innings, which is a minimum of 167 games, have averaged 1 K per inning.

Edit.................

I had said only 3 pitchers, that was working off of old info, there are now a few more such as Pedro, but those few don't swing the balance, I still stand by my point.

I'm not being arrogant here, but I'm okay with strikeouts. Even on MVP level, I had Jeremy Bonderman get me 7K's in 7.2 innings against the Twins the other night.

Also, running another exhibition on MVP, I got Daniel Cabrera of the O's to get 5 K's in a bit over 6 innings against the lowely Tampa Bay D-Rays.

I'm not saying this to be arrogant or anything like that. As for my settings, I've been playing Exhibitions on the out-of-the-box beta release of the MLB:06 mod.

In a semi-related note, I never walk anyone! Never - which is just not realistic at all. :evil: It's not because players chase but rather because all of my pitchers have pinpoint control. That's the slider I'm attacking first.

I have spent many, many hours working on this issue and I never arrived at a satisfactory result.

Yes, I've had games where I've struck out 8 or 9 (I think 11 is my best), but they are few and far between. More often I can get 2 K's in an inning with fresh pitcher, but I can't keep it up.

The issue with user walks is a serious one as well. My modified pitching meter mod resulted in a few more walks, but over time I got good at the smaller meter as well. The trade off was that while you might walk a couple of guys, missed pitches (ie. out of the green zone) become easier for the CPU to hit, so you end up with less K's. Add to that the speed with which the green zone decreases as your pithcer tires and the problem is magnified. I haven't played much lately, so I'm sure I'd walk a pile right now, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

I even tried messing with MVP Edit, globally increasing strike outs (for both pitchers and hitters) or decreasing contact with little success. I've spent many hours tweaking numbers in the datafile as well but nothing seems to have worked.

Spitoon, I'm completely feeling your pain! 8)

I have my USER Control slider to -50 as well as my Pitcher Meter Difficulty to -50. All this on MVP mode and after the MLB:06 update. I still can't walk anyone.

I fired up a game yesterday as the Astros vs. the Giants. I ended up walking Moises Alou and that's it. I figured that it might be the fact that I was using an ace in Roy Oswalt, but then I brought in some less-than-stellar relievers. Like you, I would throw about 2 balls out of the gate while adjusting to the pitcher. After that, I never had a problem landing on the green. :evil:

I think the pitches are missing their targets by mere inches. Instead, a fastball not withstanding, I want someone like a so-so pitcher like the O's Daniel Cabrera to struggle with getting his slider over.

Anymore thoughts?

I have used spitoon's walk fix since it has been available and I also agree that eventually you become proficient at hitting the center of the zone with pinpoint control. I recently ran across Jim's Combo Datafile V3.0 that I have been using and it appears to add a level of variability into each pitch if you even slightly miss the center of the sweet spot. After playing a few games, I am pretty satisfied (at least with my playing style) with the level of K's and walks that I am getting on both sides of the ball. I play with Tampa Bay and have been playing a few games with Kazmir pitching getting 4-5 Ks per game along with 3-4 BB per game. I like to nibble at the strike zone as opposed to throwing it down the center every pitch, but if this is your style of play also, you may want to at least give this datafile a try ...

My settings: All-Star, Pared's sliders, Jim's Combo Datafile V3.0

What we really need is to find a balance where you have good days and bad days. In Ryan's 215 games with 10+ K's, they were all over the board some with only 10 and many higher than 10, but in general it was only about 1 in every 3.5 games that he reached the 10 K barrier.

You hit it right on the head; balance. I think I may have figured it out, but only time will tell. I'm in the middle of playing 10 games with Peavy and seeing how consistent I can be with strikeouts; so far he's had 6, 4, 7, 3, and 6, which is pretty realistic. I play on MVP by the way with my own modified version of MDs datafile.

I have used spitoon's walk fix since it has been available and I also agree that eventually you become proficient at hitting the center of the zone with pinpoint control. I recently ran across Jim's Combo Datafile V3.0 that I have been using and it appears to add a level of variability into each pitch if you even slightly miss the center of the sweet spot. After playing a few games, I am pretty satisfied (at least with my playing style) with the level of K's and walks that I am getting on both sides of the ball. I play with Tampa Bay and have been playing a few games with Kazmir pitching getting 4-5 Ks per game along with 3-4 BB per game. I like to nibble at the strike zone as opposed to throwing it down the center every pitch, but if this is your style of play also, you may want to at least give this datafile a try ...

My settings: All-Star, Pared's sliders, Jim's Combo Datafile V3.0

As I am sure you know, but just for those who don't...Jims Combo datafile includes SerialMike's walk and K fix as well as Spitoon's.

SerialMike's mod is what adds the extra variability.

Yep, I was aware, but thanks for the clarification ... that was definitely important to point out. There are a bunch of mods rolled into this datafile that you can find the details of in the readme file. If all the mods are to you're liking, it may be worth a shot ... of course, the proverbial disclaimer always applies ... backup your current datafile in case you want to go back to it ...

funny thing is, I play on pro with the walk fix and it works perfectly for me. I even have the user control slider in my favor, but I doesn't result in pinpoint control. Maybe I just suck at pitching.

Over the last few games I played in which I was really focused, I gave up about 3 to 4 walks a game. Some of the better strikeout pitchers get more K's ( had 8 with Randy Johnson and 3 in one inning with BJ Ryan ), but guys like Freddy Garcia get about 4 to 5 k's a game.

one of the things i love about mvp is that from time to time it shows an incredible amount of realism to the sport. I am using moded data file and some slider adjustment but for me what im noticing is if i a pay attention and pitch well (not just being accurate but using pitches the way the are supposed to be used) i do fine. Its not enough that guys have a great slider, you have to know how to use the slider. Espicially if he is right our left handed vs. right or left handed batters. Knowing what a batter can hit and what they chase and where their weak spots are. I know its a lot to think about but thats why those guys make the big bucks. Now if we could only figure out a way to get the catchers to call pitches and help us out.

im using the logitec pro with vibration on.

I also use the Logitech "Rumblepad" Pro but can't select vibration! It's "grayed out" in the selection screen. Note I don't use the Logitech drivers/profiles, just plug it in and WinXP shows it correctly and it works but no vibration?

I'm using the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 with no vibration. The only pitching aid I use it to have the hot/cold zones on 'Fade' so you see them for a moment when the batter steps in for the first pitch (kind of like a 'scouting report').

I turned everything else off to try to induce some more walks. I still do get a few walks here and there because I refuse to throw one down the middle (except maybe at 3-0, depending on who the hitter is).

Archived