MLB 06: The Show

dhrsko2

I was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that ea didnt make an mlb version of mvp this season because take 2 had bought exclusive rights to the major league baseball logos, names, ect. if this is true, how was sony able to release "MLB 06: The Show"? if its not true, why didnt ea release an mlb title this year?

Though Take2 did purchase the exclusive rights to the MLB license, they also hold the cards when it comes to letting others use the rights.

Basically, Take 2 sold Sony the rights for this season thereby creating two different MLB games.

But, because EA purchased the exclusive rights for the NFL and their Madden franchise, Take2 did not sell the rights to EA. That's because EA will not sell the NFL rights to anyone else. Thus, Madden will be the only game available with NFL players - unlike the baseball games of 2006. As a result, EA created the NCAA version of baseball.

The MLB 06: The Show title is created by SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America). From what I've heard, any title created by the company that owns the platform for that platform only (i.e. - MLB 06: The Show is made exclusively for the PS2) is not required to abide by the licensing restrictions. For this reason, SCEA is able to make a MLB licensed game for the PS2, but EA is unable to since it has no ties to a particular platform. The only company that has the exclusive MLB rights for all platforms is 2K Sports. Thus, the only title that is going to be available on all console platforms (PS2, Xbox, Xbox360, GameCube) is Major League Baseball 2K6 from 2K Sports.

The MLB 06: The Show title is created by SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America). From what I've heard, any title created by the company that owns the platform for that platform only (i.e. - MLB 06: The Show is made exclusively for the PS2) is not required to abide by the licensing restrictions. For this reason, SCEA is able to make a MLB licensed game for the PS2, but EA is unable to since it has no ties to a particular platform. The only company that has the exclusive MLB rights for all platforms is 2K Sports. Thus, the only title that is going to be available on all console platforms (PS2, Xbox, Xbox360, GameCube) is Major League Baseball 2K6 from 2K Sports.

owns polishjoe

That is correct dave:

I have read somewhere that the 3rd party rights only allow MS the ability to make games for the xbox and xbox360, not the computer, but at the moment I can't find the source for that info.

Take Two bought the third-party rights to the MLB license. What this means is that Take Two is the only third party that can publish an officially licensed MLB game (with the exception of Midway, whose contract was good through this year, so they're releasing their last MLB-licensed title in the Slugfest series).

But again, this only applies to third-party publishers. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are first-party publishers (as each has its own console), so they're the only companies (other than Take Two) that can publish a licensed game (but only for their own console). Which is why (and how) Sony gave us MLB 06: The Show.

Interesting tidbit: Microsoft bought the rights to the High Heat series when 3D0 went under in either 2004 or 2005 (can't remember off the top of my head). Could we see the return of High Heat on the Xbox and 360?

The Show is getting tons of love all across the internets. Scoring 9s and 10s on all kinds of review sites. Ive been playing it for 2 weeks, and to me it is really just an average game. Some of the most unresponsive controls ever.

Maybe Im missing something or on crack. Probably all 3.

That was a lot of incorrect explaining until Laloosh came along. Thanks good fellow!

Y'know, I'm just happy to be here and hope I can help the ballclub. I just want to give it my best shot and good Lord willing, things'll work out...

Is there a PC baseball game this year? I live in Thailand, so I can't head down to the local Best Buy or Compuserve. I have tried MLB 06, The Show, but it isn't good ol' MVP Baseball

No action-style baseball game released for pc this year. I believe this is the first time it's happened since... well forever I guess(just before Hardball 1 came out? dunno).

Archived