Best Free Security System?

Kriegz

I use Norton Systemworks and have never actually tried anything else, but Kaspersky is supposed to be one of the best.

Kaspersky is arguably the best AV software because of its high detection rate--but the keyword was free. NOD32 is a very close second because of its efficiency (high detection rate with the less demanding use of system resources).

I've used Norton too and it was ok, but it is a system resource hog....it does its job but not very efficiently. I've read about a lot of people having problems with it too.

Kaspersky is arguably the best AV software because of its high detection rate--but the keyword was free. NOD32 is a very close second because of its efficiency (high detection rate with the less demanding use of system resources).

I've used Norton too and it was ok, but it is a system resource hog....it does its job but not very efficiently. I've read about a lot of people having problems with it too.

Agreed on all. I don't put much faith in any free anti-virus software. Not sure why, I just don't trust them. Coincidentally, a colleague at my old job used AntiVir and it caused all sorts of problems.

I really should try Kaspersky one of these days. Maybe soon now that my Norton subscription has expired and it keeps bugging me to renew it, dropping subtle hints everywhere that my system is no longer secure, despite having plenty of other security as well as a solid firewall.

Agreed on all. I don't put much faith in any free anti-virus software. Not sure why, I just don't trust them. Coincidentally, a colleague at my old job used AntiVir and it caused all sorts of problems.

I really should try Kaspersky one of these days. Maybe soon now that my Norton subscription has expired and it keeps bugging me to renew it, dropping subtle hints everywhere that my system is no longer secure, despite having plenty of other security as well as a solid firewall.

I know AntiVir caused some problems for some people with the release of their newest version which was a complete overhaul of the outdated interface they had but for the most part it's worked out ok for most.

As far as not trusting free AV programs, I can understand your reasoning...and actually felt the same way about them until my subscription ran out. I got pretty tired of the idea of paying for renewals so I finally bit the bullet and after doing some research and getting suggestions I found AntiVir to be pretty solid as well as established as a good free AV solution. Also, the commercial license isn't free, so it's not entirely "free" AV software. :p

But anyway, Newegg has a good deal on Kaspersky here if you're interested in trying it out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E1681370459SF

It's about half the price ($24.99) of what you'd normally pay and it's a direct download.

Archived