Here's quite an useless dynasty: My 2006 Nationals

SwinginSoriano

Just finished the regular season with these guys. (Playing MVP 45 days straight = 162 games) and of course, as with most of our dynasties these guys made the playoffs. Sometimes they played spectacularly, sometimes they really sucked and played with no heart, most of the time they won 2-0. That's the kind of team this was, always a homerun away from losing the game. Luckily, my bullpen (as you will see) was as solid as possible and my starters had microscopic ERAs, and still plenty of losses.

Since this is the dynasty forums, this is a good place to post useless stuff like this. If you don't care, just go to another topic where someone asks why the green part of the pitch meter disappeared! Anyway, here are a ton of pictures, useless descriptions, and other things that will take 10 minutes of your life that you'll never get back.

JohnPatterson.jpg

Here's my boy John Patterson in mid-season form. Believe it or not, for much of the season his ERA was under 1. That quickly changed as my team played sub .500 ball from the start of interleague play to mid-August, when I finally got on a tear again. The W-L numbers on the calenders month by month are decieving and don't reflect some of the hopeless struggles my team faced. Not really hopeless, they were 10 games ahead pretty much the entire time so they decided to play like they didn't give a ****. Frank Robinson agreed to the players not to argue every single call (I can't help myself, it's as funny as hell) and since everything had been fine for the Nats.

patterson.jpg

Here's Patterson again, with all the fun stats. Other than the stats you see here, Patterson only allowed 4.77 hits per 9 innings, a .57 WHIP, and about a 36.67 K/BB ratio. If this was real he'd cost about 15 million in "Simleagues" if you guys know what that is.

livan.jpg

Now here's Livan Hernandez. Did you know? You can actually hear Livan Hernandez get fatter like Tommy Callahan. Anyway, El Duque's fatter half brother got himself a GG, 20 wins, 10 losses, 301 Ks, and a great ERA to go with it. He even got to go yard during the season!

newguzie.jpg

The real Cristian Guzman promised us all that he was the "New Guzie". Well, this New Guzie delivered. With two 2-homerun games, 41 stolen bases (48 times caught stealing), a game where he swiped six bags (got caught once), and a robust .691 OPS. New Guzie delievered, when he wasn't botching plays in the field (though he probably only had around 10 errors), he was walking... walking... walking... Along with 176 walks, he had a .442 OBP and a lovely BA to go with it. After going hitless for 4 games, my strategy was to just foul off pitches, and walk to first. A lot of stupid pitchers helped this Guzie become like Barry Bonds... Well, a lot like what a season from Barry would be like if he had an arm amputated.

cordero.jpg

Here's your NL MVP, Cy Young, Fireman, single season saves king Chad Cordero. When he isn't at bars with teammated Gary Majewski, he was kicking ***. Kicking *** he did, he only blew one save all season against the Orioles. In fact, that was the only save he blew! Otherwise, the 9th inning involved a lot of guys walking back to the dugout, and sometimes Ryan Zimmerman throwing a ball past JT Snow.

soriano.jpg

Now here's Y4L*'s favorite Second baseman Alfonso Soriano! After playing around ten games in leftfield, Swingin' Soriano hit the DL with a left hip flexor injury. Things looked bad for Soriano, then Jose Vidro busted his knee and would miss rest of the season. Since then, everything went Soriano. Getting himself 30 bombs, 51 steals, 67 RBIs, 69 Ks (that would have made an unentertaining Sori-ometer), 45 walks with a .363 OBP, in all about 409 at bats and 130 games. Somehow, Soriano only made 4 errors in the field, proving how easy it is to field 2B in MVP. Sori sat out against some lefties (due to Damian Jackson's effectiveness) and will probably cash a huge virtual check. The real Soriano will probably get his usual 120 Ks, have four errors in left by the end of April, and frown when he gets a contract of lesser value than Rafael Furcal.

* Only applies if Alfonso Soriano wasn't himself.

standings3.jpg

My microscopic team ERA.

standings1.jpg

The NL East.

standings2.jpg

Damn I wish, they'll probably kick my *** in the World Series. At least I took 2/3 in the interleague series before being taken to school by Boston.

I'll tell you guys when I get eliminated in a short-series.

Hope you enjoyed reading this! :p

What are ur sliders? I would like to see them.

I don't memorize them, but I'll go with what is easiest to remember:

Pro: (I pitch fine on all-star, but my offensive statistics are far too deflated, so it detracts from the realism.)

Power: 0

Pitching control: -50

Pitch meter: -40

Stolen Base speed: 10

CPU Contact: 50

CPU Power: 50

Ball rate: -35

Probably other stuff, I also set my bullpen so my relievers don't tire while warming up. I always found that annoying in MVP. I'll be the first to admit that I suck, I just can't hit. And when I get hits I always find a way to F things up.

At least I can pitch really, really, really well. In fact I think my ERA is inflated due to getting lazy at times. Anyway, I'll try the new datafile when I start my next dynasty. Hopefully it'll help my hitting, and take my pitching away from their godly level.

And no, I don't play online. Sorry for not letting you guys get some easy wins. :)

I apologize man!

Anyway, the Nationals just completed a rout of the Giants tonight at RFK, 7 to 2. 7 runs may not seem to be a ton, but this game was over in the beginning.

Schmidtsucking.jpg

The San Francisco Giants, the NL wildcard, made it into the NLDS by defeating the Cincinatti Reds in an one game playoff. Oddly, they didn't use their ace Jason Schmidt in the playoff, but he was fresh for the playoffs. The Giants Ace didn't get off to a good start. He started the game by walking "Guzie" and then allowing a single to centerfielder Mike Cameron (acquired in an earlier trade for Luis Ayala) that caused a first and third situation. From then on, the hit parade ensued. 5 runs later, John Patterson (the Starting Pitcher) grounded out weakly to end the inning.

During the bottom of the 2nd, it's Deja Vu all over again. "Guzie" walks, Cameron singles. First and third. Schmidt is in trouble. Felipe Alou tries to calm the righthander and Schmidt seems to get his break. Three batter Jose Guillen grounds to Giants first baseman Rafael Palmeiro (Palmeiro and Bonds in the same lineup...) for the out. Guzman forgets to break for home, then starts too late. Rafael throws to third and Guzman is tagged out, while Cameron advances to second. The rally seems to be dead. Not for long, Alfonso Soriano singles in Cameron, thus ending Schmidt's day, giving him the following pathetic line.

Schmidtsucked.jpg

The Nationals' bats would fall silent for the remainder of the game. Uneventfully, Nationals' relievers Pete Walker (acquired from Toronto), Tyler Walker (acquired along with Moises Alou in a big deal with San Francisco), and Joey Eischen would pitch the remainder of the game.

Game 2's matchup will feature the 'iron-shoulder' of Brian Lawrence versus the dependable left hander Noah Lowry. Matt Lecroy is set to catch the right hander, and it is very possibly that most of the Nationals' mainstays in the lineup may be on the bench until a right handed pitcher comes in relief. (Guillen, Soriano, and the first base tandem struggle against lefties.)

So far, here is the progress of the playoffs.

theplayoffs.jpg

NLDS Game 2: Giants 3 Nationals 0

Lowry.jpg

After the overwhelming victory in game 1, Washington's lovable overperformers failed to repeat their success the night before. Giants' lefty Noah Lowry shut out the Nationals with the help of a successful Giants' defense anchored by Omar Vizquel, Pedro Feliz, and even a pair of nice plays from Barry Bonds in left.

Winn.jpg

Winn making one of many nice catches that kept the Nationals stymied throughout the night.

Feliz.jpg

Brooks Robinson eat your heart out! In MVP Baseball, anyone can make that play, even with a speedy runner (the "Guz") running to first.

The game wasn't one of lost oppurtunities for the Washington Nationals, but one where they did not get an oppurtunity. With their big bats (Matthew LeCroy, Moises Alou, and Alfonso Soriano) silenced, the Nationals did not stand much of a chance. Former Giant Tyler Walker surrendering two runs in the eighth also lessened the Nationals' chances tremendously.

Sorloser.jpg

Soriano may have went 0 for 3, but he can be in for a bad night if he left his lights on in his Escalade.

After gaining the momentum in Game 1, the momentum quickly turns to the Giants' favor as the Giants will play the next two games in their home field. The Nationals will have an off day, then will fly across the country to San Francisco to play in Pac Bell, no SBC, no AT&T, no Cingular park on Friday afternoon. Giants righty Matt Morris is set to pitch the third game against the the innings eating Livan Hernandez. Quite possibly, Jason Schmidt could pitch game four due to his low pitch count in the first game. Simply said, unless the Nationals can beat Morris they aren't in a favorable position.

noonesevercomebackfrom11.jpg

Livan La Vida Loca: Rotund Righty Returns the favor

livanlavidaloca.jpg

Hernandez robs a seventh inning single from Giants' right fielder Mark Sweeney. Hernandez also ripped a fat pitch for a single during the game.

The Nationals strike back on Friday afternoon against the Giants with a 3-0 shutout of their own. With nine hits, ten walks, and just three runs the Nationals return the favor and regain the momentum in the short National League Division series. Barry Bonds was once again neutralized by the Nationals by receiving three bean-balls, and a single robbed by the lead-gloved Alfonso Soriano. Giants starter Matt Morris surrendered two runs early, and was pitching behind the count the entire game.

Soritriple.jpg

Second Baseman Alfonso Soriano aggressively dives into third for a no-outs triple. To appropriately set the tone, he was stranded on third for the remainder of the inning.

livan13ks.jpg

Livan dominates, the Nationals strand more baserunners than the Yankees.

game3.jpg

The Red Sox advance, the 111 win Yankees risk elimination against their rivals of the west, Los Angeles is close to fulfilling their status as the favored team in their Division Series against the Cardinals.

Saturday Night, in desperation, Felipe Alou will send out Giants' ace Jason Schmidt on three days rest, and Noah Lowry will be expected to start in game 5 if necessary. Frank Robinson, in a much criticized move, will send Ramon Ortiz out for the clincher. Robinson mentions that Ortiz was 4th in the NL in strikeouts. Tomorrow night may very well be Barry Bonds' last game unless the Giants can defeat the mediocre righty. Be assured, if Schmidt is defeated Bonds will be missed by no-one.

Hot Nats:

- Brian Schneider, 2 games, 3 for 5, 3 BBs. (Was offensively unproductive during the season.)

- Mike Cameron, 3 games, .333 avg, 1 BB

- Alfonso Soriano, 3 games, .364 abg, 2 RBIs, 1 BB

Cold Nats:

- Moises Alou: 1 for 9, 3 BBs

- Jose Guillen: 2 for 10, 1 BB

Livan La Vida Loca: Rotund Righty Returns the favor

I love the alliteration.

Anyways, you come up with very clever things to write, not just the normal uninspiring things like others do. I enjoy reading this. Keep it up. :)

I also noticed that you acquired Alou and Cameron; do you remember what you traded for them? I'm interested in knowing.

Cameron was traded for Luis Ayala, I have no idea what I gave San Francisco for Alou, I do remember giving them Nick Johnson and Sturtze (got him from NY when I needed a long man) but I had to give them something else good, I don't remember.

-----------------

'Giant' win in San Francisco

October 5th, 2006, Jason Schmidt had one of the worst outings of his career. After being saved by Felipe Alou to start the postseason, not even for the one game playoff against the Reds, the Giants needed a relief. They needed Schmidt to dominate. Schmidt, armed with a lacking 91 mph fastball, pitched with pain for one and two thirds innings. In the end, he surrendered six runs and nine hits. There was not a baseball fan that questioned his motivation, his work ethic, his will power... The declining right-hander put together another uninspiring start, further showing his 2003 and 2004 seasons to be an aberration. (In 2006, Jason Schmidt had a mediocre season, starting 31 games, pitching for 181.2 innings, winning just nine games, with a 3.89 ERA. That's enough to get 40 million on today's free agent market, but not enough to be a true ace.)

Fast forward to October 8th 2006, the Giants are facing elimination. Bonds has not had the oppurtunity to pitch to with runners on, 5 hitter Rafael Palmeiro has not been able to make the Nationals pay. Felipe Alou, opted to trust the veteran over rookie Matt Cain. While critics argued that putting Schmidt on the line once again after his disasterous game 1 start was a recipe for disaster, to the Giants, it was a recipe for success.

Schmidty.jpg

Schmidt celebrates wildly along with the teammates and the forty somewhat thousand fans in attendence. With his epic performance, the Giants will be able play in a winner takes all Game 5.

Schmidt entered the game with his likely opponents, Cristian Guzman and Mike Cameron. Unlike game 1, where he walked Guzman each time, and surrendered a single to Mike Cameron to set up a first and third situation. He put both batters out quietly. Once Schmidt was able to get Jose Guillen, who was blatantly pulling the ball, to pop up, from then on he knew he was in control. Unlike in previous games, the Giants got on the board quickly in the second inning. After a Steve Finley triple, Giants catcher Mike Matheny was able to single in the run, providing the only run the Giants would score throughout the night. With the way Schmidt was pitching, that was the only run they would need.

Enter Nationals' starter Ramon Ortiz. He knew the magnitude of the situation, and alike Schmidt, he shown up to work. Other than surrendering a triple to Omar Vizquel, and one to Finley, Ortiz dominated throughout the night. The Giants were sure to run his pitch count high though, ending his night two outs into the bottom of the seventh inning.

Bonds.jpg

Though this picture has nothing to do with this entire entry, a typical day for Bonds this October is getting two bruises, stinging one right at an infielder, and taking a called strike three.

Schmidt had the pressure on for the entire game. The Nationals were almost toe to toe with him. The Giants could give Schmidt any insurance runs, the pressure was on the entire game. Thriving from the pressure, Schmidt kept the Nationals' big bats of Alou, Soriano, and Guillen hitless throughout the game. Schmidt even effectively ended the hot-streaks of Brian Schneider, J.T. Snow, and Mike Cameron. Top of the ninth inning, the Nationals will do anything for a run, and guess who's batting. Guzman, Cameron, Guillen. Schmidt knows it as well as the Nationals know it, all it takes is for Guzman to get on, Cameron to single, and Guillen to deliver the final blow. With Cordero warming in the Nationals' bullpen, Schmidt knew the Giants had to win the game now. Schmidt begins the inning with depleted velocity. His 4-seam fastball, sitting at 93 mph throughout the game, has dropped to 91 mph. His off-speed pitches also gained speed, and his pinpoint control as left him. Schmidt gets ahead quickly on Cristian Guzman, 0-2. Guzman fouled off the ball, and was charged with a strike with an attempted check-swing. From there, Guzman worked his magic. Schmidt threw his first ball of the inning, followed by a second. When Schmidt tried to put Guzman away, he simply fouled the pitch away. Finally, Schmidt pitched the third ball to Guzman, he was tiring fast and Armando "Nerves of Steel" Bentiez was warming in the bullpen. Schmidt had to be sure that he wasn't coming into the game. Schmidt now throws a 90 mph fastball, it looks high... CALLED STRIKE THREE! The Nationals' dugout gets into a frenzy. Manager Frank Robinson runs out of the dugout and starts screaming at the Umpire, waving his hands wildly. He got thrown out of the game, and from there the air has been let out of the Nationals. Immediately afterwards, Mike Cameron grounds out to shortstop Omar Vizquel. Leaving Jose Guillen to try to tie the game with a solo shot. Guillen tries desperately to pull the ball and the count quickly goes to 0-2. The Giants are on edge, they may have just got their second chance. Schmidt wastes two pitches, then comes in with a fat pitch over the plate. Guillen watches the pitch come over in disgust, then watches the Giants' players empty from their dugout onto the field hugging, slapping hands five, and whipping their arms in the air wildly!

slammingfists.jpg

Barry Bonds and Rafael Palmeiro do not only slam fists after games, they slam needles after their postgame interviews as well.

The Giants gets the 2nd chance they so desperately wanted, and they have a ray of hope. The 111 win New York Yankees would be defeated by the ANAHEIM Angels shortly afterwards. Is an even bigger upset in order? The 102 win Washington Nationals run the risk of being defeated by the 87 win, wildcard, one-game playoff winning San Francisco Giants. The Nationals season has been defined by two types of play, over-performing, and under-performing. One game the Nats will pitch the shutout, the following game poor defense will cost them three runs in route to a loss. Game 5 is a mystery, which Nationals will show up?

One thing is for certain, the stable Nationals' lineup will be shaken up a bit. Alou may do the same, for, even with Schmidt's epic 1-0 victory, the Giants have averaged under two runs a game this series.

Coming soon, Game 5.

game4.jpg

Cool dynasty... I'm thinking about starting up a Carolina Mudcats dynasty. I switched them around in my xbox game earlier today... I just wish the Marlins weren't complete garbage. I play on All-Star, so I need my hitters to be moderately decent to have any offense.

The Big Game

Pattersondominates.jpg

Nationals' Ace John Patterson striking out Giants' right fielder Steve Finley on route to nine shutout innings.

October 9th, put up or shut up. It has come down to this, game 5 of the National League Division series. With the exception of Game 1, this division series featured games that were always one swing away from victory. Great pitching, especially from Noah Lowry, Jason Schmidt, Livan Hernandez, and John Patterson have dictated the results of this series, leaving both teams' bullpens (especially their closers) collecting dust. Now, both teams exhausted from their flight back to the east coast, are going to face bonafide ace pitchers. John Patterson, the man with the 1.36 ERA versus Noah Lowry, the man who stymied the Nationals in Game 2. As one would imagine, this game would start as a pitchers' duel.

bottomofthe6th.jpg

Who will get that hit? Middle of the sixth, the pitchers are on their game.

John Patterson started his dominantion as usual, mowing the hitters down in the Giants lineup. Patterson even caused Bonds to harmlessly pop-up to the "Guz" at SS. Patterson would not surrender his first hit until the fourth inning, where leadoff hitter Ray Durham would rip a double past the head of centerfielder Mike Cameron. As Patterson would record the outs against Omar Vizquel and Nick Johnson, Barry Bonds steps into the batters' box. With first base open, will Patterson have the guts to pitch to Barry? Patterson decided to launch a 93 mph fastball at Bonds' ribs, somehow causing a knee injury. Bonds limped to first, and was taken out of the game and replaced by backup Dan Ortmeier. This is a huge break for the Nationals, with the Giants' best hitter out of the lineup (in the cleanup spot), Patterson could easily now take advantage of this lineup, which depends entirely on Bonds.

barehanded.jpgVizquelrobshit.jpg

Pedro Feliz and Omar Vizquel show us that the defense may be more responsible for the no-hitter than the pitcher himself.

Now, enter Noah Lowry: the man who struck out two yet dominated the Nationals' lineup during the night of Game 2. Lowry took a different approach this time; first he was simply trying to win, this time he wanted to dominate. Lowry starts off his domination by striking out 2 batters a piece for each of the first three innings. With his fastball hitting 89 mph, and his changeup dropping at a slow 75 mph, Lowry was able to keep hitters off-balance easily. By the fourth inning, where the Nationals' lineup had a good look at him, he started to pitch for contact. With the help of his friends, the Nationals remained hitless. While able to record their first walk by the fifth inning, the Nationals' hitters knew that Patterson's effort would be wasted to they could not get a hit. As usual, the Nationals started swinging for the fences thinking that they will only need one run. With John Patterson and Cordero in the bullpen available for two plus innings if needed, the Nationals truly only needed one run...

carrollhustledouble.jpg

Jamey Carroll just barely hits a groundball past Giants second baseman Ray Durham. Carroll would hustle this should-have been out into a double.

The sixth inning started off no differently for the Nationals. Damian jackson, now worried about Lowry's no-no, came out swinging. He pulled a swinging bunt against the grass, the ball was dying! As Jackson sprinted to first Giants' third baseman Pedro Feliz picked up the ball barehanded and launched an accurate throw to Giants first baseman Nick Johnson. With this Robin Ventura-esque play, the Giants defense once again saved Lowry's no-hitter. Now enter Jamey Carroll, a .237 hitter throughout the year who gained most of his playing time against lefties as a first baseman. While he can get contact against lefties, his lack of power usually keeps his balls in the infield. Carroll, also approached this at bat aggressively. He hits one to the middle of the infield past Lowry, Durham gets a late break on the ball, it bounces past him. Carroll got the Nationals' first hit, now the no-no is over. This isn't good enough. Carroll sprints towards second while Giants center fielder Randy Winn is caught by suprise. He throws the ball back to second trying to record the easy out but Carroll dives into second with a double! One out, the Nationals have two shots at that second hit. They need that run. Here's the problem, John Patterson is due to bat, followed by Cristian Guzman. The most these guys could do is walk. Frank Robinson could have opted to pinch hit for Patterson, but no-one was warming in the bullpen. By the time Carroll got his hit, it was too late. Unexpectedly, the bottom third of the lineup got the hit. Patterson, would try his best to work the count. By 2-2, he was able to hit a ground ball to the right side, advancing Carroll to third. Now Cristian Guzman is batting, if he can work a walk Alfonso Soriano will be batting with runners on first and third. Guzman had other plans, with five homeruns against left handed pitching during the season, he wanted to be a hero. After two pitches, he pops up, Ortmeier runs to the ball and records the out. The Nationals' first offensive threat of the game is over.

feliztriple.jpg

Pedro Feliz, Ryan Church, and Chad Cordero would be the stars of the tenth inning that decided it all.

Inning after inning, no offensive threats were able to size up for any team. Patterson was dominating, and Lowry wasn't unnerved at all. In the bottom of the ninth, the Nationals would get what seemed like their chance to win the game. John Patterson would finally be lifted for pinch hitter Marlon Anderson, lefty vs lefty. Would Anderson work the count as the Nationals have done so successfully during the season? Anderson, with the first pitch against Lowry rips a single to center. With a fist pump and the crowd behind him, Anderson had many options. He could use his speed to steal second at the risk of Mike Mattheny's arm, or, he could wait for Guzman to advance him or walk. Cristian Guzman was now batting, and since he wasn't trying to be a hero, he tried to bunt. Lowry threw a fastball up high trying to get Guzman to pop up the bunt but Guzie missed the bunt. Now, the count is 0-1. Lowry now thinks he has Guzman set up, he throws a changeup away towards his cold zone. Guzman knows it's a strike, he can either take the strike and try to get a better pitch on 0-2 (as if that's possible) or he could put some wood on it in hopes of advancing Anderson to second. Guzman hits the ball, but it bounces straight towards Ray Durham. Even with the blazing speed of both Anderson and Guzman, Durham tossed the ball to Omar Vizquel (who avoided a ferocious take out slide) and then fired the ball to Nick Johnson. Double play! The Giants now have two outs, and no runners on in the ninth. Alfonso Soriano comes up to bat and swings hopelessly for the walk off homerun. Lowry pitches nine shut out innings once again, this game goes into the tenth inning.

The Washington Nationals are not out of weapons yet, for the first time this series, they send Chad Cordero out of the bullpen. Cordero saw little action as of late, he warmed up briefly in game 3, then recorded his 58th save about a week before. Now, Cordero was entering the biggest game of his life. The Nationals NEEDED zeroes. Cordero starts his game with his usual moving two-seam fast ball, with a serviceable slider at his disposal. Cordero planned to do what he usually did throughout the season, the same pitching style that got him those 58 saves and only 3 ER and one blown save. Cordero starts the inning against the Giants backup outfielder, Dan Ortmeier who had replaced the injured Bonds. Cordero strikes this batter out easily. Now, Cordero has to face the Giants' five hitter, Randy Winn. Winn's power from 2005 was not a fluke, this season was able to hit 25 homeruns, mostly in the leadoff slot. Cordero saw Winn's cold zones and knew he was meat. He'd start with a 2-seam riding from inside of the plate right into the strikezone up and in. Winn takes this pitch for a strike. Now, Cordero goes with a four seam low and away, either Winn pops this up or grounds it if he swings. Winn swings past it, 0-2. Cordero, now throws his slider below Winn's knees. Winn swings and misses, strike 3! Two outs recorded in the tenth inning, Cordero is cruising, he'll definately be good for another inning, maybe two. Now steps in the Giants' right fielder Steve Finley. He has not been hitting much this series, but Alou's alternative (Mark Sweeney) has proved that he couldn't buy a hit. Finley starts to work the count against Cordero, who is oddly missing his spots. 2-1, Cordero decides just to throw a 4-seam low and inside, which Finley rips for a single. Finley reaches first, with now Pedro Feliz at the dish. Feliz can get two runs with one swing. Cordero stares down the batter as he digs in at the plate. Cordero throws a few pitches and Feliz hits a flyball, it's not deep! Ryan Church, the Nationals' right fielder, can't see the ball! Instead of standing straight, he tries running around so he can possibly get closer to it. He finally sees the ball, it's too late! It bounced right past him and to the wall! Finley sprints past second and third, Church finally gets a hold of the ball. Finley dives into home while Church gets the ball back into the infield and Feliz is on third with a triple! The mighty Chad Cordero surrenders a run! One run is a tall order for this Nationals' offense, especially from behind. The Nationals have not ever won a game from behind late into the game once this season. Cordero know that with a runner on third, a harmless single can bring in the second run, making this game hard to recover. Cordero pitches to Mike Matheny, who had a suprising offensive season yet struggled as of late. A two-seam fastball rides in on his hand yet Matheny was able to yank it the other way. This is yet another harmless fly ball, Ryan Church, who was in the lineup for his defense, can't see the ball again! It bounces past Chruch for a hit, and Matheny reaches second with a standup double. A frustrated Cordero stares into right field, surrendering his second run of the inning, during a season where he surrendered all but three earned runs. Now, when it matters most, he gave up two thirds of that. The Nationals' fans grow even more frustrated as now Cordero surrenders a legitimate hit to pinch hitter Mark Sweeney. Matheny stays on third, and now it is first and third with two outs. With desperation, Robinson picks up the bullpen phone and tells the bullpen coach to warm up Gary Majewski in a hurry. Robinson tries to calm down Cordero, he reacted positively. Cordero needed a break from all of that, he needed something. Cordero then proceeds to pop up Ray Durham, ending the disasterous inning. One inning, four hits, two runs, the Giants had a game's worth of offense against the Nationals in one inning.

hope.jpg

This one does not end quietly.

Now, the Nationals have their three, four, and five guys up to bat. Brian Schneider, who is batting .375 at this point of the series comes up to bat. He replaced Bernie Castro who pinch ran for Matthew LeCroy in the seventh inning. But, now the Giants' 'fearsome' closer Armando Bentiez comes in. Schneider's plan is to make Benitez throw his slider (it's actually a slider) for balls, and get on base. Robinson would probably pinch run him, exhausting the last of the Nationals' catchers, but that didn't matter, they needed two runs no matter what. Bentiez quickly throws a slider and a splitter in for a strike up high. These weren't pitches than Schneider could do much with. If he swung, he would have popped them up. The count is quickly 0-2, Benitez then throws a 95 mph fastball to the plate in which Schneider pulls towards the right side of the infield for an out. Now Moises Alou steps into the batter's box with a more aggressive approach. Benitex tries a similar approach throwing his breaking ball high. This time, he throws them out of the strike zone and got Alou to swing at them both. Disgusted at himself, Alou knew that he'd probably swing at anything against Benitez. Benitez drops another high breaking ball, this time for a strike. Alou takes a seat. Mike Cameron now steps up to the plate, but Robinson pulls him at the last second, he had some thunder on the bench. Jose Guillen, with the Nationals' season on the lineup now pinch hits for Cameron. Benitez now is confident, he just wants to get ahead of Guillen. His approach will probably be an attempt to get a walk, then have another batter hit the game tying homerun. Benitez throws a first pitch fastball, but too high for Guillen! Benitez now tries to throw a breaking ball up and away, but it's a fat one. Guillen smacks it, it's going deep, to the wall! And it's gone! Guillen gets the Nationals' their first run of the game with a bases empty blast. Is Benitez in the middle of another epic choke? Frank Robinson tries to be sure of that, he pinch hits the game's goat Ryan Church with first baseman and backup shortstop Nomar Garciaparra. (Acquired from Los Angeles) Garciaparra knows he can pull a ball up and in for a homerun. Benitez gives Nosemar a pitch inside, so Garciaparra and tries to pull it. It was low and inside however! Garciaparra was late on the pitch and grounded it to second. Jogging to first, Durham picks up the ball and tosses it to Nick Johnson to record the final out of the game. The Giants win, 2-1.

Giantswin.jpg

Benitez did it! Though the cyberface looks nothing like him, he did it! The Giants face their hated rivals the Dodgers in the National League Championship series.

It's pandamonium on the field. The Giants empty out of the dugout and celebrate for their second night straight. Hugs and high fives were all a part of the on field celebration. While the Giants did not pull off the greatest upset of the postseason thus far, this was enough for them. They had defeated the 102 win Washington Nationals in the most unexpected fashion, through closer Chad Cordero, the National League MVP. (This season they decided to give out the awards before hand. :p ) The Nationals will now go home and watch the rest of the postseason on TV, while the Bondsless Giants will try to upset the NL West winning Los Angeles Dodgers.

guillen.jpg

A depressed Jose Guillen, a throw away player in any franchise but Washington. Despite his late inning heroics, his offense suffered throughout the post-season. He's thinking, what could have been. It's likely that he will resign with the Nationals, the only organization that had been loyal to him.

52539911_ac7af3e3cf_o.jpg

Chad Cordero and Gary Majewski had some drinks after the game. Cordero probably left the club empty handed as you would expect.

bahston.jpg

Your American League Champs

WSchamps.jpg

The World Series Champs

kent.jpg

The World Series MVP, Kent may just have another big payday coming to him.

---

Sorry guys. :lol:

There won't be more. I may screw around with them but I was only planning to show the progress of the Nats' postseason. I'll probably use an updated roster and sim the Yanks uptil the playoffs and try to take them to the World Series. They are my favorite team after all. :)

Archived