Getting a new Laptop

Dan

Well I've decided to get my own laptop because I'm tired of using the family's. I'm most likely getting an Apple.

I have no clue which one I should buy. I'm looking at the iBook. It's $1,299, but I subtracted the DVD-RW and just took the CD-RW.

I also upgraded the memory to 80GB, which is three times more the one I'm on, but I only had Photoshop and Flash (and Madden :smile: ) on it and it was almost at capacity. If I add InDesign and Dreamweaver, and most likely Illustator/After Effects, I don't know if that will be enough.

I also have 512MB memory, but I can get 768 if I want.

Originally I was going to get something more expensive but the screen sizes weren't what I wanted so I went back to iBook. My budget is under $1600. If you can help me with this I would appriciate it. The faster it runs the better.

Thanks,

Dan

Well, you can't run PC Software on the iBook (you know that right?).

If you really want an iBook, i suggest you wait. Apple's making their intel transition (maybe someday you can run Windows and Mac on 1 computer) and the iBook is rumored to have its transition shortly. If you get the iBook now, you'd be getting a PowerPC one which is reportedly slower than the Intel one.

The iBook is great for graphic design and such, but as Bama says, you can't run pc software on it. The software for any Mac computor is very limited as of right now. I believe, (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that MVP Baseball isn't even out for Apple computor, at least I've never seen it.

No its not, which is why i suggest waiting for them to complete the intel transition. Theoretically, Windows should be able to run on any intel processor and you can run MVP or whatever you want on Windows.

I won't be using this to play games. This is for graphics/web design only. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illustrator, all those are available for Mac too. Besides, I'm looking at the laptop that already has the Intel chip and it's $2000. I can't spend that much money, and if the iBook gets them too, they're probably going to be just as much.

I also don't mind using the Mac operating system - with the dashboard and easy organization it's perfect for me.

-BBHD

System Specs

1GB DDR333 SDRAM (512MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM).............might get 1.5GB instead

80GB Ultra ATA drive............3x what I have now - maybe get 100GB

Combo drive - DVD/CD-RW............I don't need to write DVDs.

Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English

14-inch TFT XGA display..............this is fine, up at Circuit City last night and I measured

1.42GHz PowerPC G4...................um.....?

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 w/ 32MB DDR video memory..........whatever that is

AirPort Extreme built-in...............ditto

Bluetooth 2.0 built-in................ditto

-BBHD

No, the iBook will probably use a core solo rather than a core duo. So it will be slower but not as much as the MacBook Pro.

And i wasn't dissing the Mac, i was just saying Intel should eventually be able to run Windows.

• 2 months later...

I decided on the Apple MacBook 13in. white. Here are the system specs:

Apple USB Modem

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo

80GB Serial ATA drive

1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512

Accessory Kit

I'll be running Mac OS X as well as Windows. I will most likely get Vista when it comes out, instead of buying XP now.

-dan

• 1 month later...

With Apple recently announcing Leopard at the WWDC, I'm wondering if I should wait to get my PC until this comes out. Apple's products seem to be a bit more reliable than their "friends" in Redmond, so waiting a while after the release doesn't seem like a manditory thing as with Vista. Your thoughts?

-dan

i say wait until spring (when it comes out). i was going to wait till lepoard was out to get my macbook, but since it's coming out after january (i need it by then), i'm probaly just going to get one during christmas rush. i'll see if i'll get lepoard first day, mostly on personal prefernce though.

but from the way your case sounds, you can wait a bit for it(until lepoard comes out). all i'm waiting for is merom and that's it for my macbook.

lepoard isn't like windows, lots of people get it first day with little to no problems with the new os.

btw, just get a 512 mb ram and get the other ram from elsewhere...apple tends to overcharge for ram. the model is pc2-5300 btw.

Well, you can't run PC Software on the iBook (you know that right?).

If you really want an iBook, i suggest you wait. Apple's making their intel transition (maybe someday you can run Windows and Mac on 1 computer) and the iBook is rumored to have its transition shortly. If you get the iBook now, you'd be getting a PowerPC one which is reportedly slower than the Intel one.

Bama i just got a macbook pro and I am typing from windows right now :)

Dan, look into getting it from a college or education apple discount... If you have a sibling in college, that would be awesome if they are willing to buy it for you under their admission... mine was 2300 (i know more than your budget) but I got it for 300 under list price, and icare/os updates free for 3 years thru education... the student discounts are amazing, and i really like my laptop... runs great... i think the bottom macbook pro is list 1600 but if you can get the education discounts through a college, youre talkin 1300-1400

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the oldest in my family, and I'm only starting 7th grade next week. I know nothing about GHz, what's that and which one should I get? I'll be ordering in a few weeks once I finish this last web job. :smile:

-dan

more ghz, the faster.

dan, i suggest you wait a bit for merom (core 2 duo), becuase of it's 64 bit processing abliity compared to the 32 bit now. 64 bit is going to be mainstream soon, and 32 bit wll be yesterday's news. some are saying meroms as soon as labor day, but we don't know.

i'm getting mine this fall, i don't know when exactly.

Well I can't keep waiting...new stuff always comes out. First it's merom, then some cool new add-on to your memory, then an operating system, then updated software, then a whole new system...if you think about it, there's always going to be something that's next. I will have it ordered by the end of September.

-dan

i know there's something new always coming on the horzion, but you make a point, you could be waiting forever.

but the macbooks as is are pretty powerful. the 64 bit just makes it more future proof, and who knows, core 2 could be in there before you order.

Archived