Simplicity Designs

Dan

www.simplicity-designs.com

Couple of things...

-Don't tell me the white is overpowering. I know. Maybe later I'll add some stocks.

-The buttons should move more smoothly. I already have the new animations done, but they won't go to the specified frame. I'll hopefully fix that soon.

-Rates are not completely set yet. Packages will come soon.

-I don't think a preloader is needed.

Please tell me what you think!

-BBHD

My thoughs;

Preloaders + all-Flash site = bad. The phrase "Too much of a good thing" is real.

Links don't work on the portfolio page.

Correct the case used on the services page. Pet peeve of mine, maybe, but it just looks stupid to see a sentence, or sentences, written in all lower-case. Things like that make me wonder who is responsible for the bastardisation of the English language.

Who else is in the project with you? I see you referring to "our" and "us". I thought it was just you doing it.

Otherwise, very nice - the animations are very smooth and flow well. :) Nice job!

Until I get Dreamweaver, most of my sites will be all-Flash. I can't do much menu/animation wise with FrontPage.

The links work for me now. Maybe you saw it before I re-published earlier.

I'll fix the case if it makes you happy. =p

Really, it's just my father and I; he's much better at content, though I guess you could call him my secretary. Also, I am most likely going to hook up with a man who worked for an ad agency in NYC in the near future.

Thanks for the comments...

-BBHD

Lol Filthy I was half asleep when I read your message...you're right - it's supposed to be discoverjohnstown.org. I have that fixed now.

But I don't like my site. It's boring, yes, it is simple, but it's too simple and plain. I think I'm just going to make a whole new one. If anybody has and ideas, please let me know. I'd really appriciate it and I have no clue about what I want it to look like.

-BBHD

Until I get Dreamweaver, most of my sites will be all-Flash. I can't do much menu/animation wise with FrontPage.

Remember the heart of any site on the internet is code. You can code in notepad.

Having dreamweaver helps, but it's not necessary. There are a few freeware alternatives. nvu and PSPad come to mind.

IMO php and flash are dying off. CSS is the future.

Having said that, flv (flash video) is awesome and it's around to stay.

I wish I would stop changing my mind.

Thanks to some major halp from fuzzman, my right hand man, I have begun work on a CSS site. I am most likely going to combine my portfolio and blog/journal all into one. I'll post up a link [hopefully] in a week or two of the basic layout.

This is why I haven't been updating my current blog.

Stay tuned!

-BBHD

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I don't get in trouble for another post :oops: if I should edit my last just let me know and I will.

This one is here to stay. For a while, at least.

My Web Template

I've begun coding it in Notepad. It's taking a while because I'm new to the whole CSS thing, but I'm pleased with the progress I've made.

BTW, I recieved 1st place at the state computer fair. I got a $50 Best Buy gift card, a TV news interview, and a front page photo/article on my site. Since I got about 50x the publicity as I had before April 28, my father and I are going to proceede with this whole Simplicity Designs thing. Since I don't really have any legal status, I currently work for him, though I get all the profits.

If you have any suggestions on how I could make my site better, let me know soon before the core of the site is fully coded.

I'd also like to have a few testers once I'm done - links and stuff. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

-BBHD

I got many ideas from a few template websites, but I did the actual template myself.

For subpages, I think that I will make the grass thing in the corner larger and make it take up the whole right side of the page, without the picture near the top.

I'm almost done with the homepage - I'll post up the link in a few.

-BBHD

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm done. The whole site is up and running.

Simplicity Designs

I also need a personal opinion. First, check out this site, which I did. In the logo, the two cars of the Inclined Plane are, of course, still. On the site, I made them go up and down. Should I put a light grey watermark (about the size of half the text part of the page) on the white background of the pages?

-dan

If I understand correctly...your just a kid...and by saying that I mean no disrespect to you. I am in awe of your web page...I wish I had half the know-how you have, and I am 31. Good for you, for following your dream, I hope you get many clients! I am under the assumption that most of your knowledge on web design is self taught, which makes it all the more impressive.

Yeah, I'm pretty much self-taught. Guys like Fuzz and KC helped me (thanks), but I taught alot to myself. I'm a fast learner.

I can't wait to see what I'm doing in eight or so years when I start doing this for a living!

-dan

• 1 month later...

V3?

V2?

No, it's V2.5. It's really just V2 revamped. Or you could just call it V3 - maybe that's better.

Anyway, I've got a real blog now, and it's definately here to stay. I had a small hacking problem last weekend while on vacation to D.C. (thank God for the Apple store there where I found out about this), but it's back up. For the two or three of you that commented =) I lost the comments, and can't hook the database back up. They're still somewhere, though, and thank you very much for them. =)

Speaking of Apple, I am looking at the 13in MacBook with a few configurations. The cost came out to $1,750. With the software, not out for the new Macs until '07, it's about $250 and I should be able to get it at the same time next year, if I keep on schedule with my monthly income ($300/month). You can check out my rates on my Services page - sorry guys, no more free templates. It's only 10 bucks (for now), so if you've got a credit card and computer, you can get one. No PayPal account required.

The new site

Comments, questions, suggestions can go here or [preferably] on the site under my first blog post.

-dan

Archived