One thing I'd like to see in another version of TC

paulw

More than anything else, I would love to see my all time favorite face mod of Casey Stengel by Peter Bernard as manager of the '53 Yankees. That face is perfect. I've tried all kinds of ways to get him in there - swapping around teams and stuff - and it just doesn't work (one time *all* of the managers turned into Casey). :cry:

The reason for this is because only the teams in the MLB slots have an actual manager assigned to them (this info is in the manager.dat roster file). All of the minor league teams have a manager with the name "A Manager" and he uses the generic face number 901.

You can see this by opening up the rosters in MVPEdit, clicking on the "Team" button at the top and then clicking on the manager tab. Early on in TC development, I tried to update the names and faces of the minor league managers, only to find that everytime I changed a minor league manager, this change was in effect for all minor league teams.

The only way to get Casey Stengel to show up would be to import the '53 Yankees into a MLB slot.

Thanks for the info Jim and Don. I think there's something screwy with the face No. being used as I tried moving the '53 Yanks into the Major League (i.e. first group) of teams and still made a mess (I think it was the '77 Yanks I was bumping out). I probably did something stupid.

Don - your '61 season sounds real interesting. What a great year in baseball!

With that in mind Jim.

Does 2k5 use manager profiles during game play??

If so, are only manager profiles at the major league possible

as well?

Do you know?

Just curious.

Sorry, better explain. By "profile" I mean tendancy charts for

pinch hitting, pitcher substitution, etc.

There are definitely "profile" settings for each team (majors and minors). If you click on the "Team" button in MVPEdit and then click on the "Team" tab (yes, the "Team" dialog box has a "Team" tab!), you will see the tendencies that you mentioned (pinch hit, hit and run, steal base, etc.).

As a quick test, I changed the settings on one of the minor league team and when I checked the settings of another minor league team, they were definitely different, so all 120 teams have their own settings.

The same is true for the "Intensity" tab, which is where you can set the intensity of one team vs. another (e.g. the Yankees would have a higher intensity against the Red Sox than the San Diego Padres). There is a separate set of values for each team.

Yes, Team settings under the Team Tab along with Intensity & Manager settings do impact computer based teams during game play.

The easiest way to experience the effect is to adjust the Pinch Hit setting to Zero and you will quickly see that seldom does a Pitcher get Pinch Hit for late in the game. By setting it to 2 seldom will he not get Pinch Hit for late in the game.

Each setting has an impact but some are much more subtle to notice than the Pinch Hit setting.

Well then the next logical questions is about the

use of these settings in total classics. Has anyone

tried to match these settings with the managers of

the respective teams in TC? I suppose that data for

these settings is hard to find but didn't Bill James do

a manager tendancy study way back when?

Archived