The Best Bat

JoeyMcM93

I play in Pony League (ages 13-14) and there is always talk about who has the best bat. Some say the Easton Stealth is the best, others say the Demarini Vexxum tops all. Now, I personally use the Demarini Vexxum and I like it; but what is the best bat and what makes it the best? I like one thats not too heavy (about 24 ounces), pretty long (32 inches), a big barrel (about 3 inch diameter), not too top heavy, at least a -8, and of course, it looks good. My question is simply, what is the best bat for Pony League Baseball and why?

I dont think there is any one best bat. Some bats that my teammates say work great for them I dont think the ball jumps off the bat as good for me and reverse my favorite bats they dont like the feel of. For pony ball bats are probably even more overrated. Many of the top end bats are designed with the idea of a player with great swing mechanics for the best performance. (especially the connection series). Pony level players dont have these mechanics no matter how good the hitter is at that age. I wouldnt reccommend some bat that looks like something someone put together in a metal shop but at that age you definately do not need one of those $300 bats.

p.s. i would check with your league on the rules of bats before you go out and buy one. you said you preferred -8 bats. I know most leagues require -3 bats or atleast -5. I'd check that out before you spend the money.

I agree with ELDoro, it's a mtter of personall preference. Regarding the rules, the bat must be under or a -9. In High School it gets down to -3. Each league is different, but I think those are the national standards. Thanks for the input in both topics ELDoro.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go with the Easton Stealth..I'm in college right now playing ball and I can't get enough of that bat. Feels great when you hit it solid. With the handle done the way it is, makes it feel like your holding a stick...It's light as can be.

A 14 year old playing Pony League....with a Vexxum? What the heck, wish I had that kind of money when I was still playing Pony. One Kid on our Varsity team just got a Vexxum, and another has a stealth. From using them both I like the Stealths - They have that special core lightweight thing in the middle and it definatly swings faster.

But if you are in Pony dont go buy a really expensive bat as you need -3 in all the leagues from there on up.

Yeah, thats nice for you, but my leaague has some pretty kick *** pitchers. Three of them made the California All-Star team for 13 year olds last year when I was still in majors. So, I use the lightest bat I can. I use different bats for different pitchers.

Ya, I see an average of 75 MPH. A lot slower than some of your guys standards. So I can get around on a fastball eaisly with a 31oz bat. But when I see the Rare 85-86 MPH fastball, I go down to a 30oz bat. I play in Maine, Mark Rogers(Brewers great prospect from Mt. Arat, Maine) was a once in a lifetime Highschool Pitcher from Maine. We don't see much heat like that in my teams conference.

Yeah, so far we've had three guys break 90! Pretty impressive for a 14 year old arm. The best thing about a fireballer though, the pitches don't change.I myself at 13 can only hit 81. Thats the highest I've ever gotten it this year, but I don't pitch much, I'm usually on the other end.

The thing that is lucky for you is that you get to play year round. We play 3 months a year. And during all that off time people play all sports. Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, in that order every year. No football, no nothing like that, so are arms don't develop in to 90 MPH heaters.

I don't have the strongest arm, but my fastball has a natural tail on it. Also my change-up drops alot, so I can still strike-out some of the best hitters in my league, I throw an above average speed, but no untouchable fastball. I use the green Stealth. One kid on my travel tam got the new Stealth, and it is awesome!

lst6.jpg

JoeyMcM93, lol i find it hard to believe you have three 14 year olds throwing 90 MPH. The top rated high school team in the nation does not even have three 90mph pitchers( with real 90mph heat). I would definately question the gun you are using.

When I'm scouting or looking into potential players often use this at a translation to the real speed. All I have to do is subtract 5-10mph from whatever parents or teammates tell me ........lol its the truth.

A few years ago when I was still a player and playing in a fall league made mostly of D2-3 high school players they kept telling me that the kid on the mound was throwing 90mph. I argued he was maybe hitting 80. LOL to disprove them I got up and hit a HR on the first pitch down the left field line. I was good but not good enough to pull a 90mph fastball down the line with such ease.

Im 14 and I top out at 70 on a good day. Average i throw arounf 65, but then again, thats why first base and left field are good positions for me. This kid in my league takes steroids. He hit 5 homeruns over 400 feet and hes 14 yeard old. And we dont play in a bad league. He also throws a fit when he gets out. He yells F*** at the top of his lungs when he strikes out, and takes it out on his teamates by throwing helmets and bats. I hope he gets suspsended.

BTW: I use a connection 34-31. I love connections!

LOL, I hate guys like that. I recently got in to a fight with our league asshole. He started it and was suspended, but I still got ejected. I ended up breaking his nose and gave him a pretty bad black eye. I ended it with 3 broken fingers and a massive bruise on my stomach.

BTW: I used a new bat today, not the Demarini, but a Stealth. I liked it, but it was a bit top heavy.

A kid who is 14 takes steriods? Some say that age is too early to even be lifting weights. haha that kid will be messed up in a few years and probably not even playing baseball anymore.

NYM06, you use a 34 inch bat? How tall are you? I see many kids your age comming to my baseball camps that use 34 inch bats. Bigger is not better. You are probably much better off using a 32 inch bat and getting more bat speed. bat speed = distance

Archived