61 M&M UPDATE THREAD

69Yanks

The datafile was Maddy'sDaddy 3.1 on Allstar. Contact was Hoop's Allstar settings. It was a timing issue and an upper to the right analog swing.

The distance measurement stopped, we believe, where the ball crossed the vertical plane of the stands and was under 400 ft. The pitch was an inside corner fastball on the edge and below the belt. The opposing pitcher likes to come inside on Mantle to his lower cold zone, so he moved back off the plate just before the first pitch of the at bat. Once it was hit the camera immediately panned up high and move fast toward the roof. We knew Mantle had hit one of his towering shots but when it went over the roof....

BTW, this was top of the ninth and Maris had hit one right before the Mick on this April 26, 1961. Yanks lost to the Tigers 9-5. Home run race for the M&M boys - Mantle 5 Maris 3

69Yanks,

That was a nice thing to see. Please keep them coming.

I noticed that you were not using the Flapless Helmets which are part of the 1961 versions of the uniforms you can select in the game. Just curious if you had a problem with them or just perferred using other uniforms during your *61 game?

Thanks Again,

Don

Thanks for the comments.

Maris just missed one today April 27th, 1961. Pulled it deep upper deck foul.

I am playing the entire season. Just finished a game and was down 3-0 to Cleveland in the 7th and went ahead with a Tony Kubek Grand Salami. Brought in Mr. Ditmar and he gave up a homer. Lost it in the 11th on a mental mistake by yours truly... forgot I had a runner on second and on a ground ball, threw to second for the DP. Both runners were safe. They scored in a single.

Don:

I forgot to use the 1961 uniform in that game. Otherwise, I use them and really like these helmets. BTW, I would like to remove the names off of the 61 uniforms. Is there a version that someone has already without the names that I can download.

P. S. After viewing the video I said to myself, Hmmm wonder of Don will notice the flap on the helmet

69Yanks,

Yep I do notice those sort of things.

I think Sandy did such a great job on those uniforms and because we really didn't let everyone know that only the 1961 versions of those uniforms used the flapless helmets I kinda felt we had screwed up a bit.

I also think Sandy did a fabulous job on the 1961 Jukebox Music and have yet had anyone mention they listen to it ............ certainly would like to know that someone has at least listened to it once ......... plus I also like the ingame - between innings music ----- it is from another baseball game many of us played years ago and I thought a few people would have recognized and mentioned it by now but as of yet no one has I think.

Regarding the names. As mentioned earlier in another thread we intentionally put the names on all uniforms we could as a method of helping our younger fans more quickly become familiar with the players of the early '60s. Very few (if any - I would have to research to be sure) teams actually had names on the back of their jerseys in those days.

Two things dictate if names appear on the back of jerseys --->

1) the slot has to be one that shows names

2) the font fsh used has to have non transparent letters

Thus to get them removed you could use the unforms as they are and move them to a slot that does not show names on the back OR we need to find one of those totally transparent font fsh files that even if the slot does show the name on the back of jerseys it won't show up with such a font file. They you could just reinstall those uniforms in that same slot and the result would be as you would like it.

The Yankees are definitely one team I perfer not having the names on the back of the jersey.

I will look around for one of those transparent font files to send you.

Thanks for sharing your games with us. I, for one, certain enjoy hearing, reading and seeing all of this stuff.

Thanks,

Don

The music is great, I just let it play. I wish there were more track slots. The Lawrence Welk song, Calcutta is my favorite. I just read that Mr. Welk did not think much of it and the recording was done in one take. Who put the Bomp is my next favorite followed by Big John.

Thanks Sandy and all you guys that did this. I can't say enough. I actually do not mind if the present day Yanks lose a game or two. Somehow I am back in the pure baseball days.

Lastly, I have to edit the datafile that I am using because it took out the in between inning music which I really miss. Something that I would love to have is Bob Sheppard say "Welcome to Yankee Stadium". I think this could be done but I am short on time to dig into it. I have the .wav file of him saying this if anyone is interested.

Are you going to play the entire season? Keep us updated on the M&M boys.

I agree 69Yanks, definately keep us posted with the simulated '61 Season. I've always wondered how it would have turned out if Mantle hadn't of been injured.

As far as the vid, that was quite a blast. I remember watching a Tiger's game and seeing Cecil Fielder put one on the roof in left, but I don't think he ever hit one out.

Yes thanks for the updates as well I will update you on my '61 Dodgers soon-I am currently 2 games behind Cincy with a 26-13 record. I also love the '61 songs-I was only 6 at the time but love that era of music. By the way that song calcutta went to #1 in the top 40 that year and Welk was 57-making him one of the oldest to ever have a #1 hit.

May 7th Maris #7 against LA Angels

May 9th Mantle #6 Maris #8 both off of B. Shaw Kansas City Athletics

May 14th Maris #9 off of Jim Bunning of the Tigers

May 16th Maris #10 Mantle #7 both off of Hobaugh of the Senators

May 19th Maris #11* Mantle #8, Johnny Blanchard #11 all off of G. Shaw of the Senators. Maris #12 off of Heman

*Grand Slam. Mantle was intentionally walked.

In the real 61 race, Maris was at #5 and Mantle at #10 as of May 19th, 1961. (Johnny Blanchard was not in this race. He finished with 21 HR's in 61)

May 21 Maris# 13, another grand slam (2 so far this 61 season) - off of J. Fisher of Baltimore.

Sunday May 22, Mantle #9, 3 run shot bottom of first inning. Maris hit two, #14 and #15. All off of Estrada of the Orioles.

In the real race, Maris reached #15 on June 4th and Mantle reached it on June 5th.

** So far all of The Mick's HR's were hit lefty.

Mantle #10 lefty against against right hander Bill Monbouguette of Boston this May 24, 1961. The Mick just missed one on May 26th hitting righty at Yankee Stadium. Wind was blowing in at about 25MPH and it died at 360 ft. in front of the left field fence.

Yanks in first 4 games up on the Red Sox.

Bud Daley pitches a no hitter and also went deep.

Minnesota Twins at New York Yankees

« PREVIOUS

NEXT »

Minnesota Twins

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E

MIN (31-23) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

NYY (35-20) 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 2 X 5 11 2

W: Bud Daley (2-1) | L: Camilo Pascual (7-4)

New York Yankees

Top of inning 1

Lenny Green flied out.

Zoilo Versalles grounded out.

Earl Battey flied out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom of inning 1

Bobby Richardson flied out.

Tony Kubek flied out.

Roger Maris flied out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Top of inning 2

Harmon Killebrew grounded out.

Bob Allison grounded out.

Jim Lemon reached base on an error.

Billy Martin flied out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom of inning 2

Mickey Mantle struck out.

Yogi Berra grounded out.

Elston Howard flied out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Top of inning 3

Bill Tuttle grounded out.

Camilo Pascual struck out.

Lenny Green flied out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom of inning 3

Bill Skowron flied out.

Clete Boyer singled.

Bud Daley sacrificed.

0 runs, 1 hits

Top of inning 4

Zoilo Versalles flied out.

Earl Battey flied out.

Harmon Killebrew grounded out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom of inning 4

Tony Kubek struck out.

Roger Maris doubled.

Mickey Mantle flied out.

Yogi Berra doubled.

Elston Howard singled.

Bill Skowron struck out.

2 runs, 3 hits

Top of inning 5

Bob Allison struck out.

Jim Lemon grounded out.

Billy Martin grounded out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom of inning 5

Clete Boyer flied out.

Bud Daley struck out.

Bobby Richardson singled.

Tony Kubek grounded out.

0 runs, 1 hits

Top of inning 6

Bill Tuttle grounded out.

Camilo Pascual grounded out.

Lenny Green grounded out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom of inning 6

Roger Maris was walked.

Mickey Mantle flied out.

Yogi Berra flied out.

Elston Howard singled.

Bill Skowron grounded out.

0 runs, 1 hits

Top of inning 7

Earl Battey reached base on an error.

Harmon Killebrew hit into a fielder's choice.

Bob Allison flied out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom of inning 7

Clete Boyer flied out.

Bud Daley homered.

Tony Kubek grounded out.

1 runs, 1 hits

Top of inning 8

Jim Lemon grounded out.

Billy Martin flied out.

Bill Tuttle flied out.

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom of inning 8

Roger Maris flied out.

Mickey Mantle singled.

Yogi Berra singled.

Elston Howard singled.

Bill Skowron sacrificed.

Clete Boyer doubled.

Bud Daley grounded out.

2 runs, 4 hits

Top of inning 9

Hal Naragon flied out.

Lenny Green flied out.

0 runs, 0 hits

0 runs, 0 hits

Now that is exciting ! ..........

I have yet to have a No-hitter -

1 hitters on a few occassions and

several 2 hitters

But never a No-No !

I had Bob Gibson go 8 2/3's once only to dissappoint the heck out of me when Schofield scratched a cheap single through the left side of the infield .....................

Congrats !!!

• 1 month later...

As of the 1961 Allstar Break:

The M&M home run race: Roger has 30 and The Mick has 27. In the real race, Mantel had 29 by the break and Maris, 33. Maris hit four on July 25th against the White Sox so I will see how it goes on that day.

Here are Dyanasty Stats:

• 4 weeks later...

Big day for the M&M boys.

MVP Scoreboard - 1961 Season - August 9, 1961

The Mick hit three and Roger had 2 in an almost blowout. The Angels did not quit in the ninth and Ralph Houck had to bring in Louie.

LAA (49-63) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 5 7 11 1

NYY (73-42) 2 0 3 0 2 1 1 0 X 9 15 0

W: Jim Coates (10-4) L: Eli Grba (3-12) S: Luis Arroyo (32)

BATTING

2B: Roger Maris (13); Elston Howard (9);

3B: Jim Coates (1);

HR: Mickey Mantle 3 (39);

Roger Maris 2 (47);

Tony Kubek (15);

RBI: Mickey Mantle 3 (71); Bobby Richardson (22); Roger Maris 3 (105);

Tony Kubek 2 (36);

HBP: Bobby Richardson (7);

• 4 months later...

Well its been awhile and since the weather is getting cold, it was time to pick up the season again. Maris is at 71 homers and Mantle at 61 on September 22, 1961. BTW, Maris and Mantle (2 times this year) cleared the roof at Detroit Classic Tiger Stadium. Yanks clinched first easily as well as Detroit and Baltimore. I forget what is happening the NL but I know Cincy is close to clinching. Hopefully the Yanks and Cincy make it so they can relieve the event and in PaulW's work which I will use until they are playing there or the season ends.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived