30 Location MLB Stadium Tour: Ever attempted it?

Some friends and I have been kicking around the idea of actually attempting to scrounge up the money (which would add up quickly) required to actually attempt a road trip that could take us to a game at all 30 major league ballparks. Below is a very simple map and spreadsheet that gives some details on our plan. We all live in St. Louis, MO so the trip starts and ends there.

Has anybody else ever given this any thought? Any thoughts on the plan my friends and I have drawn up?

stadiumtourmap01-smaller.jpg

spreadsheet_screencap01.jpg

It's definitely been a dream of mine, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until I retire or win the lottery to actually go through with it.

Tell me about it. The gas money alone (assuming a decent 28mpg and an avg price of $2.85/gal) ends up being almost $1200. Then, if you add in tickets to each game...

Let's say 4 people go on the trip. It'd be a minivan so, probably, you could sleep IN the vehicle. Let's say the average price you spend on each ticket is $25. And let's say you spend about $15 on food in each city. I am completely ruling out eating or drinking anything AT the games.

Gas per person: $278.31

Tickets per person: $750

Food per person: $450

At this point, with 4 people going on the trip, each person would have to be able to commit approximately $1500. Doable... but not all that likely, considering you'd also have to be able to commit something like 40 days of your time once you consider driving time.

I think to get a more accurate cost of food you would have to do it by the day. Even for 50 days at 5 dollars a day you'd only spend 250, but it depends all in what you eat I guess.

That's what I was thinking. No more than 3 meals in any one city (no matter how long you're there) at about $5 per meal would be a max of $15. I was just trying to come up with something reasonable.

I would love to do it, but won't be able to any time soon. I would love to take a summer and tour all th eparks with a little stop in Cooperstown. It's quite the adventure that only a few people have attempted. If anyone has ever don ehtis, wow, good for you.

Don't forget about the oil changes along the way :wink: 11,000 miles would definately put some wear and tear on the vehicle too

Hey hey. I'm the general manager of a Mobil 1 Lube Express. Hold your applause. (Yeah, I'm a loser). But, we have Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil that is guaranteed to 15,000 miles. So, it COULD be done on 1 oil change. lol.

Thats something thats always been a dream of mine. I may not accomplish it in one season, but I could do so over the course of my entire lifetime...In the 30 years I've been a baseball fan, I've been to Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, Turner Field, Dolphin Stadium (when it was Pro Player), Chase Field, Coors Field, Dodger Stadium, and the old Anaheim Stadium (back priro to all the remodeling after the Rams left)..I nearly went to Wrigley a few years back when visiting Chicago, only reason I didn't was because of the weather (didn't feel like going through all the trouble in getting a refund had the game been called, since going to another wasn't an option, did see Wrigley from a few feet away though)

Haha, I had the idea for posting this a little while ago but I'm glad that someone actually has. 2 of my friends and I have been saving up since grade 9 (in grade 11 now) and now all three have our lisences, and we are planning to do it next summer after we graduate.

Well guys,

When I was 11 years old, my father was laid off from work but took home a nice sum of money as severance pay. He is a huge baseball fan. We went to every Major League Baseball park, including the Toronto Blue Jays' park. If you would like me to detail it more, I kept journals from when I was nine I could draw from. This was in 1999 that this happened, so the Devil rays and Diamondbacks parks were included.

My dad said it is something he never regretted doing, and I am glad he took me along with him. My favorite parks were Yankee Stadium and I actually did like Shea a lot too.

Well guys,

When I was 11 years old, my father was laid off from work but took home a nice sum of money as severance pay. He is a huge baseball fan. We went to every Major League Baseball park, including the Toronto Blue Jays' park. If you would like me to detail it more, I kept journals from when I was nine I could draw from. This was in 1999 that this happened, so the Devil rays and Diamondbacks parks were included.

My dad said it is something he never regretted doing, and I am glad he took me along with him. My favorite parks were Yankee Stadium and I actually did like Shea a lot too.

Wow that is really awesome. So does that mean you saw the Expos, then?

Me and my brother are doing it but we arent doing a road trip where you see everyball park in 30 days. We are just taking different trips whenver we can get the chance. We do have a long way to go. We have only seen Seattle, Oakland, San Francisco, Anaheim, San Diego, Tampa Bay, Detroit and the Dodgers. We plan to visit Texas and Houston this summer.

Yeah the Expos stadium too.

Sorry for the confusion on my last post, it was when I was eleven not nine. I dont know why I said nine the second time.

Do you have the order you visited the cities in? We spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out the best way to actually traverse all the cities. Seattle and Canada... so far out of the way. :stick:

You could always do it 'For charity' and raise sponsorship to help with the trip, if you wrote to the clubs they may even assist you with tickets etc, you don't know unless you ask?

And if you timed your schedule right, you might be able to double up some days (Chicago, LA, NY) perhaps?

Do you have the order you visited the cities in? We spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out the best way to actually traverse all the cities. Seattle and Canada... so far out of the way. :stick:

The biggest problem, I would think, is trying to map your schedule to fit the teams schedule. Say, for example, you just saw the Phillies and the Pirates should be your next stop, but they are in the the middle of a 10 day road trip so you have to bypass them and then come back later.

• 7 months later...

Haha, I had the idea for posting this a little while ago but I'm glad that someone actually has. 2 of my friends and I have been saving up since grade 9 (in grade 11 now) and now all three have our lisences, and we are planning to do it next summer after we graduate.

Update! Still planning on doing this?? :)

• 2 months later...

Hello!.

Im been giving this some serious thought lately.

Im up for long service leave next year.

Ill have about 3 months off.Im already heading "home" to vancouver next year.

Besides looking and seeing where exactly in british columbia my fav show smallville is filmed (dont ask!!) ,i ain't got nothing else really planned,yet.

Anyone know of any websites where people have done it,and documented it,or any hints/tips website for ballpark tours??.

Thanka.

Update! Still planning on doing this?? :)

Whoa, I totally missed this post. Well we realized we probably don't have enough money and also we won't be able to get a car. We haven't scrapped the idea though. We'll do it either mid-way between 2nd and third year university or after we graduate then. The only problem is, we really want to see Yankee Stadium, so we'll be going to a couple out-of-town games this summer.

Archived