Comic Books

KCBQ11

I too still have a huge collection of comics from years back. I even had every issue of X-Force up to #50 something with all the annuals and every variation of the first issue.

I never outgrew them - but they outgrew my wallet. :(

It seemed that there were cross-overs every other month and as you're reading you'd be referred to some event in another title, pick up the other title, and it would be a 2 post blub. :evil:

I don't know if anyone's seen that show on Comedy Central called The Comedians of Comedy, but at one point on their tour, they found a comic store that had whatever it was they were looking for. It was called "Comic's Kingdom." I live 2 blocks from that place and I was that dude's 2nd ever customer with my buddy being the first.

Man, I'm reminiscing here. :oops: But to answer you're question, before they got really pricey, yeah, I used to.

I have a pretty big collection and still read about 15 or so titles a month, mainly DC and Wildstorm stuff. I've always been a fan of Superman, Batman, Nightwing, Robin, etc, but over the last couple years I have really gotten into the Wildstorm Universe (the old Jim Lee Image comics) like Wildcats, Authority, etc. I can't wait until the Worldstorm relaunches of those titiles this fall. Also lately I've been reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City comics. I really like what he has done with Superman lately, so I thought I'd read his Astro City stuff, it's awesome.

I thought DC's Infinite Crisis story was a little underwhelming at times, but I think the One Year Later titles have been awesome. Superman and Robin's title have been my favorites. The two Nightwing storyline is pretty cool too, I like what they've done with Jason Todd. A lot of questions still to be answered in the current Batman arc, but it's good too. I don't really have an opinion on the Aquaman title. I have never read him much but I picked up his OYL stuff. It is very confusing on what's going on with this "new" Aquaman. I hope things get explained soon, it is just a little too unanswered right now. Wildstorm's Captain Atom storyline is about to wrap up and I've really enjoyed it. It's final issue next month is suppose to lead into the whole Worldstorm relaunch, so I'm interested in seeing how that plays out.

As for Marvel stuff, I like it but don't read it too much. I am more familar with the DC and Wildstorm Universes and I just don't have the money to read all the Marvel stuff too. My brother reads a lot of it and I just get info from him on what's going on. The Civil War thing in Marvel right now sounds really good, I will keep a watch on that.

Where is Chris Claremont and is he staying on one title or is he doing that cheap thing where he does a book for 6 months to a year? I want to read something he is on but only if he stays on for several years. He is the greatest writer ever. Period.

Claremont = Worst influence on modern comic writing. Well, maybe that's Frank Miller.

Infinite Crisis = Another story published, not for the sake of telling a good story, but for restructuring the company. Unacceptable.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Planetary = Greatest comic ever. If only it were published more regularly.

--Eric

• 1 year later...

I used to read comics, but like most people here I stopped after they got to expensive and you had to buy 6 or more titles a month to keep up with one story line. Mainly I read graphic novels now, (and other regular books).

Some of my favorites are;

Linser's Dawn series,

Batman - Return of the Dark Knight & The Killing Joke,

The Watchman - a classic must read,

The First Kingdom - late 70's, early 80's out of print comic, now reprinted as a 3 or 4 volume graphic novel set. An excellent work that influnced many later comics and graphic novels.

I'll have to admit, Stan Lee in his earlier years was great. And anything done by Jack Kirby in the late 60's through the 70's was awsome. With Kirby's stuff, the story almost didn't matter, the incrediable artwork itself was often worth the price of the comic.

Archived